1. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 07:39
    This position looks drawn to me, but I just wanted to be sure -- black can't force a win here, can he (black to move). The idea in playing this is to not move my pawns off of the light colored squares, correct?

2. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 07:54
    I don`t know if black can win or not but he certainly could try to.
    One plan for black is to capture whites h pawn via simply moving the king towards it and capturing it then queening the h pawn.
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 15:14
    Since I'm a patzer with a terrible end game, the best I could do was apply some silicon elbow grease. (Stockfish 1.6, which is very good in the endgame, despite not using tablebases of any kind).

It couldn't find a win for Black at all.

I think the problem with the black king trying to pick off the h-pawn is that as soon as it abandons the d-pawn, White gobbles it up, and White holds the draw. (If Black avoids trading bishops after the d-pawn falls, White can capture the black h-pawn with a bishop sac and still hold the draw. And if Black trades bishops after the d-pawn capture, then the game turns into a race to promote pawns. Although Black queens first, it's a KQP vs KQ game (White has the extra pawn), and White can hold the draw.

But you have to remember, with people playing, anything can happen. 🙂

Yeah, in general, Black should keep his pawns on the light squares, although if the game goes 1...Bc5 2.Bg3, then Black can play 2...a5 or 2...b6 and still draw.
  4. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 15:54
    Originally posted by National Master Dale
    I don`t know if black can win or not but he certainly could try to.
    One plan for black is to capture whites h pawn via simply moving the king towards it and capturing it then queening the h pawn.
    I think white can hold a draw if for example

1...Ke5 2.Be1 Kf5 3.Bd2 Kg4 4.Bxh6 Kxh5 5.Bg7 Kg6 6.Bxd4 and now Bb8 is forced but I think black can keep the white king out of b6 for the draw.

PS. Sorry not sure how to work the PGN reader from a FEN.
  5. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateâ„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    18 Feb '10 17:182 edits
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    I think white can hold a draw if for example

1...Ke5 2.Be1 Kf5 3.Bd2 Kg4 4.Bxh6 Kxh5 5.Bg7 Kg6 6.Bxd4 and now Bb8 is forced but I think black can keep the white king out of b6 for the draw.

PS. Sorry not sure how to work the PGN reader from a FEN.
    Just add the FEN tag into the PGN.

White has to move first in the PGN's so ignore the first move:

6. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    19 Feb '10 00:08
    I wouldn`t give up trying to win with black yet.
    The king capturing the h pawn I mean that as a plan not a move order.
    1...Bc5 might be the move order needed in order to protect the black h pawn if white attacks it with his bishop.
    If like mad rooks post white responds with Bg3 perhaps black can still go and take away the h pawn now via ...Ke6

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree