1. Wat?
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 11:04
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    I asked if you were aware that Garry Kasparov had retired from competitive chess and then in a separate paragraph I asked why you had resigned your recent game against geoff marks in which you're clearly winning. There's nothing "polite" about using the same word "retire" in response. I think you're just confused, Mike.
    Oh! Believe me. I'm very confused.

I'm confused about why you constantly stalk me all of a sudden, and you seem to think that one should read everything one reads on the internet.

You couldn't get an iota of my character if you read every post I have ever bothered to entertain myself with.

There's nothing polite in asking Kasparov why he would offer a hand shake of a draw, as much as asking me why I resign certain games.

You have no idea if I am tutoring, encouraging, losing, playing new alternatives or simply enjoying chess.

I guess you are confused by my posts, and long may you continue to be; as that's my pleasure.

Have a good day and evening.

-m.
  2. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 11:17
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Oh! Believe me. I'm very confused.

I'm confused about why you constantly stalk me all of a sudden, and you seem to think that one should read everything one reads on the internet.

You couldn't get an iota of my character if you read every post I have ever bothered to entertain myself with.

There's nothing polite in asking Kasparov why he would offer ...[text shortened]... long may you continue to be; as that's my pleasure.

Have a good day and evening.

-m.
    It's just that I have an aversion to liars, plagiarists and people who try to pass themselves off as things they are not. Those sorts of people prey on people's good faith.

When they're caught the best defence they can muster is "don't believe everything you read on the internet" or "it's entertaining".
  3. Wat?
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 11:27
    It's just that I have an aversion to liars, plagiarists and people who try to pass themselves off as things they are not. Those sorts of people prey on people's good faith.

When they're caught the best defence they can muster is "don't believe everything you read on the internet" or "it's entertaining".
    Assume what you like! You're welcome to your own rhetoric.

😉
  4. Pities the fool
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 20:04
    Cliffs

- adramforall is a mod (allegedly)
    - RHE-s -Red Hot Engines
    - elady is 31
    - "Kings and Pawns" expected to be no 1 soon
    - mild accusation against mikelom 😵

Cliffs were brought to you by CliffsNotes 🙂
  5. Wat?
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 18:02
    [b]Aren't you aware that Kasparov has retired from competitive chess?

[b]
    http://pakchess.org/tournament-news/kasparov-vs-short-blitz-match-in-belgium

What day is it today? Oct 9th 2011, and Kasparov is playing Short today? Jesus, that must be uncompetitive!

Little do you know. Shame on you...

-m.
  6. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 18:343 edits
    Originally posted by mikelom
    http://pakchess.org/tournament-news/kasparov-vs-short-blitz-match-in-belgium

What day is it today? Oct 9th 2011, and Kasparov is playing Short today? Jesus, that must be uncompetitive!

Little do you know. Shame on you...

-m.
    The organizers of this unique chess event comment: "For the fifth anniversary of Your Next Move we wanted to do something different that really promotes chess. We are grateful that both Garry and Nigel have accepted our invitation to play against each other. We are looking forward to some great games."

A few blitz games as part of a P.R. stunt is not competitive chess.

You said "when the big showdown happens!". Why would it "happen"? Why wouldn't you preface your speculation with if Garry Kasparov ever returns to competitive chess if you were aware of his retirement? Why would the fact that Kasparov now "knows [Carlsen's] thought processes intimitately [sic] and would not perceive him as a threat" matter if Kasparov had retired from competitive chess?

Just stop pretending, Mike; every utterance of yours about chess rings false.
  7. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 10:29
    It's lonely at the top. "Currently refusing games from players with a rating lower than 2950". Might be a few more weeks before I get my challenge in then.
  8. Wat?
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 11:17
    [bJust stop pretending, Mike; every utterance of yours about chess rings false.[/b]
    Every act you make in chess games rings untrue of a chess sportsman!

E.g. Your clan leader challenged you against me recently and you resigned both games, without a single move.

Explain those resignations, when you choose to question my resignations. Scaredy cats are we?

Thanks for the clan points though. Again, it's my pleasure that you don't have the balls to follow up your own rhetoric, and its associated relenting fears.

-m.
  9. e4
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 13:152 edits
    It is a pity you two did not play those other two games.
    Just played over your first two games. Good fun.

in Game 8339168 Paladin v Mike
    White was doing OK with his kingside storming attack and I'm sure White
    could have given Black a rougher ride.
    I've not seen a killer (sockdolager) for White but after the exchange sac
    16.Rxh5 I'm sure White has good attacking chances and just drifted with
    a few inexact moves. (Just glancing but it 'feels' good.)

Spent a wee bit more time on this one.
    In Game 8339167 Mike - Paladin - Black to play (Black played 22...Qxd8)

22...Nf6 stops Qe8 mate and threatens Qxh3 which must be winning
    if White allows it.

If 23.Kh2 then 23...Qb8+ (I love these backward checking moves.)
    24.Kg1 or 24.Kh1 Qc8 that's a draw.

Mike won both games. I'm thinking at one time it should have/could have been
    1½ to Paladin or perhaps 2 draws. The White attack in the first game must be
    produce at the very least a perpetual.

Stop squabbling and play. You two are well matched.
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 15:021 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

16.Rxh5 I'm sure Wh uce at the very least a perpetual.

I second that motion. I've played both guys and enjoyed every game.

I have had to learn that when interacting on the internet, I don't have the luxury to see body language or facial expressions, or hear tone and inflection.

Consequently, I have also learned that it is very easy for me to overreact to something. One starts to insert speculation into the spaces where the input from our nonverbal cues normally reside, and the next thing I know I am fired up about something that does not deserve the drama I have bestowed upon it.

When others on the site get upset, I pause and try to put myself in their electronic shoes, because I know that in another instance the person who perceives they are aggrieved could be me.
  11. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 18:04
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

16.Rxh5 I'm sure Wh ...[text shortened]... uce at the very least a perpetual.

I also thought I stood a pretty good chance at a certain point in both games but Mike can really turn it on when he wants to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree