1. Joined
    07 Jan '04
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 09:27
    Well done Kaoslos ... never thought I would have the #1 player in my clan ... even though it will properly by for a very short amount of time :-)
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 12:31
    Originally posted by Richardt Hansen
    Well done Kaoslos ... never thought I would have the #1 player in my clan ... even though it will properly by for a very short amount of time :-)
    We will see! The kicker is at the 2400 level the amount you win or lose goes down so it is harder to garner points or lose less when you lose or draw to lower rated players.
  3. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 19:00
    The first page is downright frothy with activity!
  4. Jerusalem
    Moves
    03 Oct '11 20:26
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Red Hot Engines?

Kings and Pawns reminds me a lot of the Top Dog on the now defunct Pacific Mall chess site. There were two very strong players there and one of the was an American in his seventies. I think his name was Bruce. He refused to play me anymore after I went for a one move cheapo rather than resign when I was a piece down against him. He didn't fall for the cheapo but was insulted that I would even try it.
    He is 78 years old, 44 games in progress! I'm 31 and it's hard to play 4 games. Cool grandfather. Perhaps can beat Korchnoi. 35 years ago he was strong almost like Karpov and Spassky.
  5. Joined
    21 Jul '04
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 22:53
    Originally posted by elady
    He is 78 years old, 44 games in progress! I'm 31 and it's hard to play 4 games. Cool grandfather. Perhaps can beat Korchnoi. 35 years ago he was strong almost like Karpov and Spassky.
    There’s only one person even near Korchnois strength who is also near his age and still active! That’s another legend: Portisch

Korchnoi: http://ratings.fide.com/id.phtml?event=1300016
    Portisch: http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=700037 , only 6 years younger and 33 elo points behind.

I’ve had the pleasure of seeing both players at Politiken cup (Denmark’s largest chess tournament). Korchnoi in 2005 Table here: http://www.ksu.dk/politiken_cup/pc2005/tabel.asp?id=1

In round 1 he beat a friend of mine, the webmaster who had to make the live broadcast work, and thus came a couple of minutes late for the game. After the game my friend asked if they should analyze, whereto the old man angry replied: “you didn't apologize for being late” and then he left. This is just to say something about the furry Korchnoi brings (also to the board), which probably gives him his energy (must kill, must kill!).

Karpov is today 60 years old and has an elo of 2617, fast declining on any occasion. In the above mentioned tournament, Korchnoi was 74 years old and had an elo of 2615!

Portisch played Politiken cup 2010, where he between games was very relaxed, chatting friendly with the other participants and enjoying himself. Table here: http://www.ksu.dk/politiken_cup/turnering/tabel.aspx?tur_id=763&menu=polcup2010&aar=2010 )

I’ll bet you K&P’s “78 years old” that’s just smoke ;-)
  6. e4
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 23:411 edit
    Korchnoi is the grand old man of chess and does deserve a lot of respect.

I read recently he was not to happy that his opponent did not stand up
    to shake hands with him. Fair enough.

However he can be a wee bit touchy if he losses.

It sounds like:

"This is the first and last time you will beat me in your life."

YouTube
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 05:10
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Korchnoi is the grand old man of chess and does deserve a lot of respect.

I read recently he was not to happy that his opponent did not stand up
    to shake hands with him. Fair enough.

However he can be a wee bit touchy if he losses.

It sounds like:

"This is the first and last time you will beat me in your life."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLxi5Vglee4
    That's entertaining end game.

But this I find hilarious!

YouTube&feature=related

A young 13 year old turns his back on Kasparov, walks off to view other games without a care in the world, hears the tap of the timer, and returns to immediately move without looking at the board (kind of).

Of course, you know who it is... but the contempt for Kasparov at aged 13 is extraordinary, and some of the looks on Kasparov's face have me in stitches.

-m.
  8. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 07:31
    Originally posted by mikelom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjEmquJhSas&feature=related

Thx for sharing! It's unbelievable. Who proposed the draw?
  9. Wat?
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 07:58
    Originally posted by tvochess
    Thx for sharing! It's unbelievable. Who proposed the draw?
    I haven't analysed the board, as it's difficult to see and I haven't searched the game.

It's clear Carlsen opened with Q's Gambit, and I'm not sure if Kasparov fianchettoed g7; I think not... but the youngster, I think, some years ago this is, gave Kasparov no choice but to offer a draw. If Carlsen had Kasparov on the racks then then I think it's a shame Kasparov became his coach, as the latter now knows his thought processes intimitately and would not perceive him as a threat. If Carlsen had not entertained Kasparov as a coach then, again the latter, he would be quaking in his boots at every game they played or will play.

Having said that, I don't think Kasparov is a match for Carlsen now in any way, shape or form, but I may be proven wrong when the big showdown happens! 😉

-m.
  10. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 09:17
    I haven't analysed the board, as it's difficult to see and I haven't searched the game.

It's clear Carlsen opened with Q's Gambit, and I'm not sure if Kasparov fianchettoed g7; I think not... but the youngster, I think, some years ago this is, gave Kasparov no choice but to offer a draw. If Carlsen had Kasparov on the racks then then I think it's a shame ...[text shortened]... y way, shape or form, but I may be proven wrong when the big showdown happens! 😉

-m.
    Aren't you aware that Kasparov has retired from competitive chess?

While we're here in the chess forum, let's talk chess! Why did you resign this game? Game 8596171
  11. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 09:21
    Originally posted by Green Paladin

While we're here in the chess forum, let's talk chess! Why did you resign this game? Game 8596171
    More pertinent is maybe why he was taken apart by a sub 1300 player!
  12. Wat?
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 10:11

Many have retired and returned. Are you so thick as to not understand what a gesture is?

As for my retiring, you have no idea what the in-game talk was. Why I retired is none of your business.

As for Adram, was I torn apart? Seems you don't know a win when you see one!

-m.
  13. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 10:251 edit
    Many have retired and returned. Are you so thick as to not understand what a gesture is?

As for my retiring, you have no idea what the in-game talk was. Why I retired is none of your business.

As for Adram, was I torn apart? Seems you don't know a win when you see one!

-m.
    I remember another player here (User 400793) used to do something similar.

Chess players tend to use the term "resign" rather than "retire" when talking about a game of chess.
  14. Wat?
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 10:381 edit
    I remember another player here (User 400793) used to do something similar.

Chess players tend to use the term "resign" rather than "retire" when talking about a game of chess.
    I responded out of politeness to your use of the term 'retire'. Check your own post in response to mine. Are admitting you are another past user, by your reference to 'retire'?!

I enjoy your continued interest in me, in fact I'm flattered. May Buddha keep you on your enlightening path!

-m.

Edit: I admire your reference to somebody who was banned. You must feel exhonerated from your own similar abuse, and being a complete and utter twit with an 'a'!
  15. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 10:51
    I responded out of politeness to your use of the term 'retire'. Check your own post in response to mine. Are admitting you are another past user, by your reference to 'retire'?!

I enjoy your continued interest in me, in fact I'm flattered. May Buddha keep you on your enlightening path!

-m.
    I asked if you were aware that Garry Kasparov had retired from competitive chess and then in a separate paragraph I asked why you had resigned your recent game against geoff marks in which you're clearly winning. There's nothing "polite" about using the same word "retire" in response. I think you're just confused, Mike.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree