1. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 11:27
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    We're not supposed to comment on games on progress. But I'll comment on your opponent - he's a complete jerk.
    Hmmm Interesting

Fat Lady
    Last moved 81 days 23 hours and 53 minutes ago
    (2131)
    About Fat Lady
    I'm just going to finish this current crop of games and then I'll be moving on. Too many engine users here and too little done to stop them.

Does this mean you are back ??
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 11:28
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Hmmm Interesting

Fat Lady
    Last moved 81 days 23 hours and 53 minutes ago
    (2131)
    About Fat Lady
    I'm just going to finish this current crop of games and then I'll be moving on. Too many engine users here and too little done to stop them.

Does this mean you are back ??
    I never left the chess forum. I enjoy it.
  3. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 14:10
    I, like others, only care about my rating in relation to the quality of games I can get. If I were playing nothing but 900-1100 rated players all the time, I would soon grow bored, and my skills (as limited as they are) would atrophy. If I were playing players rated 1600-1800 all the time, I would become frustrated. I might get better, but I would probably quit long before that happened.
  4. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 19:10
    Originally posted by Evey Hammond
    Really. I had an opponent recently emphasize the fact that my rating was slipping, and I was outraged. But then I thought, what's a rating?

What do YOU think?
    your rhp rating measures your intellectual capacity.

your rhp rating measures your wealth potential.

your rhp rating is an ego centric measure that motivate humans in a metric driven society.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 19:34
    Originally posted by Evey Hammond
    Really. I had an opponent recently emphasize the fact that my rating was slipping, and I was outraged. But then I thought, what's a rating?

What do YOU think?
    Not high enough to brag about, not low enough to groan about..

It's just a number.
  6. Joined
    24 Nov '06
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 17:53
    Most tournaments are based on rating.The tournament gets a quotient based on the average rating of the players.Last Corus had a quotient of 20,I think it's the highest quotient ever reached.
  7. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    02 Feb '08 04:33
    Originally posted by duecer
    I, like others, only care about my rating in relation to the quality of games I can get. If I were playing nothing but 900-1100 rated players all the time, I would soon grow bored, and my skills (as limited as they are) would atrophy. If I were playing players rated 1600-1800 all the time, I would become frustrated. I might get better, but I would probably quit long before that happened.
    Same for me (but substitute 1800-2000 for 1600-1800). Although, over the long haul (short-term fluctuations are expected and meaningless) its a number I also hope to see increase, since that increase reflects a higher level of understanding and more aesthetically pleasing play.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '08 06:471 edit
    Originally posted by scandium
    Same for me (but substitute 1800-2000 for 1600-1800). Although, over the long haul (short-term fluctuations are expected and meaningless) its a number I also hope to see increase, since that increase reflects a higher level of understanding and more aesthetically pleasing play.
    And most importantly, it reflects a higher level of @sskicking. 😉

More seriously, chess would be a lot worse off without ratings. Ratings are a good benchmark of where your play is and they give you something to strive for. I value less my rating and more its improvement. I would rather be 1600 but rising than 1800 with no growth.
  9. Joined
    19 Oct '07
    Moves
    04 Feb '08 16:231 edit
    You show very little imagination. Check the board again.
  10. Joined
    19 Oct '07
    Moves
    04 Feb '08 16:30
    Thank you, that is absolutely correct. elady asked for a resignation when a win was still possible, then got mad when I continued to play. I would think this person would acknowledge my right to exist. I'm going for 40 days and 40 nights of benign neglect.
  11. Joined
    19 Oct '07
    Moves
    04 Feb '08 16:33
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Don't want to comment on a GIP but I guess you feel you could win this and think your opponent is being a jerk by not resigning or moving quickly.

I think you are wrong. He is spending a little time finding the forced win (for him) that is there.
    Thank you, that is absolutely right. elady asked for a resignation when it was still possible to win, then got mad when I continued to play. I would think this person would acknowledge my right to exist. I'm going for 40 days and 40 nights of benign neglect.
  12. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    04 Feb '08 18:034 edits
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    We're not supposed to comment on games on progress. But I'll comment on your opponent - he's a complete jerk.
    Game 4460051
  13. Joined
    19 Oct '07
    Moves
    04 Feb '08 21:58
    Originally posted by elady
    shshshsh.....
    Don't help him to win 😠
    I hope he won't read your post
    How's that foot in your mouth tasting, eBitch?
  14. back in business
    Moves
    04 Feb '08 22:30
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Don't want to comment on a GIP but I guess you feel you could win this and think your opponent is being a jerk by not resigning or moving quickly.

I think you are wrong. He is spending a little time finding the forced win (for him) that is there.
    Huh, can you offer assistance in the forums?
  15. Jerusalem
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 13:472 edits
    Originally posted by jPassage
    shshshsh.....
    Don't help him to win
    I hope he won't read your post
    How's that foot in your mouth tasting, eBitch?
    Ooops, Gragon fire, he saw your post and started to sing

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree