Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 29 Jan '08 05:33
    Really. I had an opponent recently emphasize the fact that my rating was slipping, and I was outraged. But then I thought, what's a rating?

What do YOU think?
  2. Standard member chessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    29 Jan '08 05:42
    Well....i don't enjoy sitting down to play a guy who is far stronger or far weaker than i....so i use the rating system to get a decent game.

But....I feel the rating system should be for "class" players.

And once you pass expert and become a master the rating should be rid of.
  3. 29 Jan '08 05:47
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    Well....i don't enjoy sitting down to play a guy who is far stronger or far weaker than i....so i use the rating system to get a decent game.

But....I feel the rating system should be for "class" players.

And once you pass expert and become a master the rating should be rid of.
    That seems like a fairly arbitrary distinction. Why shouldn't masters have a rating? After all there are still large differences in strength.
  4. Standard member chessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    29 Jan '08 05:50
    sure there is...but do they have a "weak" master group and a "strong" master group?

nope...they are all in the same group.
  5. 29 Jan '08 06:11
    Have you even looked at the Corus tournament that ended yesterday? They had three groups based on rating.
  6. Subscriber RDM
    29 Jan '08 06:54
    Ask Akizy and Weyerstrass - I'm sure they are pretty interested.

I like a rating - it gives me something to aspire to. Also, give a good indication of the people you are playing - especially after 100 games or so.
  7. 29 Jan '08 07:46
    Ratings are fairly important to me. The closer my rating is to my true skill, the happier I am. The win/loss ration isn't even close instrument as the rating is.

And I want to know how skilled my opponents are. I can see a lot of their rating graph. Some times I even reject a challenge because of the info from their rating graph. If I judge a players skill to 1800 when hi has a actual rating of 1200 points, it's just throwing away points to him.

So I would say, without ratings I lose interest quite quickly.
  8. 29 Jan '08 08:40
    Rating?
    my opponent Game 4417093 decided to stop moving after 40 moves and even asked me to resign. now he moves once at 3 days....
  9. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    29 Jan '08 08:47
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    sure there is...but do they have a "weak" master group and a "strong" master group?

nope...they are all in the same group.
    Yes.

They are GMs, IMs or FMs.
  10. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    29 Jan '08 08:50
    Originally posted by elady
    Rating?
    my opponent Game 4417093 decided to stop moving after 40 moves and even asked me to resign. now he moves once at 3 days....
    Don't want to comment on a GIP but I guess you feel you could win this and think your opponent is being a jerk by not resigning or moving quickly.

I think you are wrong. He is spending a little time finding the forced win (for him) that is there.
  11. 29 Jan '08 08:57
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Don't want to comment on a GIP but .... He is spending a little time finding the forced win (for him) that is there.
    If I was the opponent in that game I would say thank you for that bit of information, which I may not have been 100% sure was there.
  12. 29 Jan '08 09:42
    Don't want to comment on a GIP but I guess you feel you could win this and think your opponent is being a jerk by not resigning or moving quickly.

I think you are wrong. He is spending a little time finding the forced win (for him) that is there.
    Huh? Elady has black.
  13. 29 Jan '08 09:56

Don't wish to brag DF but I reckon I could have you from that position! If you really mean that and didn't just get the colours reversed, then when they eventually play out I challenge you to play it as a set piece game...me in eladys shoes of course.
  14. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    29 Jan '08 09:59
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    If I was the opponent in that game I would say thank you for that bit of information, which I may not have been 100% sure was there.
    I am talking about the forced win for white!!
  15. 29 Jan '08 10:00
    Originally posted by elady
    Rating?
    Trying to punish you the only way he can...when it's finished just thank him for the extra time he gave you to study an endgame you've an interest in. I guess though, there are circumstances where someones rate of play slows down for genuine reasons but either way the only thing you can do is ignore it and play on.