1. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 10:05
    Originally posted by Evey Hammond
    Really. I had an opponent recently emphasize the fact that my rating was slipping, and I was outraged. But then I thought, what's a rating?

What do YOU think?
    Personally I agree with you, the only purpose is for matching up challenges. I could be several hundred points higher but choose to play most of my 135 + games blitz style as I enjoy the game and sod the rating.
  2. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 10:11
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I am talking about the forced win for white!!
    Sorry, didn't realise it was a game of Brockian Ultra-chess. Oh, well! I'll garnish my hat.
  3. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 11:27
    Really. I had an opponent recently emphasize the fact that my rating was slipping, and I was outraged. But then I thought, what's a rating?

What do YOU think?
    I hope I wasn't the opponent because I really don't think ratings are all that important. Sometimes my rating has gone over 1800 OTB but I haven't felt that I have been playing that well. Throughout that period I was getting into awful positions but defending for two hours and my opponents got tired/ pushed too hard. The players, I have noticed, whose rating increases are the players that defend well and are prepared to play into the endgame nursing some sort of imperceptible advantage.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 12:23

What do YOU think?
    It's a matter of complete indifference to me what my rating here is.
  5. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 13:14

What do YOU think?
    My rating is of no importance at all to me. The only way it really affects me is that others think I am better than I actually am and should have greater knowledge than i apparently do. In general ratings cause far more trouble than they are worth.
  6. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 13:47
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    Sorry, didn't realise it was a game of Brockian Ultra-chess. Oh, well! I'll garnish my hat.
    Huh?
  7. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 13:47
    I think when you reach a peak, it can feel like the greatest thing ever achieved.
    However, when it starts to drop back down, it puts things into perspective and you remember that it is only a relative way of comparing your strength with another player.
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 13:51
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I think when you reach a peak, it can feel like the greatest thing ever achieved.
    However, when it starts to drop back down, it puts things into perspective and you remember that it is only a relative way of comparing your strength with another player.
    Yes, but it is how I measure progress. I'm trying to play well enough to stay above 1700 and that takes daily commitment to good moves (and no wine or beer).
  9. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 13:53
    Originally posted by RDM
    Huh?
    A bit like this sport:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brockian_Ultra-Cricket
  10. Jerusalem
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 14:24
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I am talking about the forced win for white!!
    shshshsh.....
    Don't help him to win 😠
    I hope he won't read your post
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 14:38

What do YOU think?
    I keep my rating in a pillowcase in back of the freezer where no one can find it. It's VERY important to me.

P-
  12. Joined
    01 Sep '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 04:201 edit
    I'm not concerned. There will always be someone above or below me. My rating as an indicator of my progress? Who knows. As my experience increases, the frequency and type of mistakes I make will change with me- ultimately, I still am where I am.

I think it's just better to play; obsessing over my rating would probably do more harm to my chess than good...I play chess for me, to have some fun and work my brain. I figure if I stay positive, enjoy it, do a bit of studying, and keep playing, progress is inevitable. By setting some "I will reach XXXX rating by..." goal, I think I'd start to lose interest.

When I first started playing here I claimed a timeout because my opponent dissappeared (and was not responsive to reminders), but timeouts are something I don't care much about- again, it's back to ratings...I'd rather finish a good game (and possibly lose) than win and watch my rating rise because my opponent was a minute late.
  13. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 06:13
    One of the advantages of having a rating like a yo-yo is that people stop discussing your rating with you - it's such a boring topic!
  14. Broomfield, CO
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 06:16
    My 2 cents:

I could care less what my rating is, I just want to play Chess & have fun doing it.
  15. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 10:50
    Originally posted by elady
    Rating?
    my opponent Game 4417093 decided to stop moving after 40 moves and even asked me to resign. now he moves once at 3 days....
    We're not supposed to comment on games on progress. But I'll comment on your opponent - he's a complete jerk.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree