1. Joined
    19 Oct '07
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 16:51
    Originally posted by elady
    Ooops, Gragon fire, he saw your post and started to sing
    did I mention I have a 36 day vacation coming up?
  2. i'm an ugly frog
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 18:20
    Rating?
    my opponent Game 4417093 decided to stop moving after 40 moves and even asked me to resign. now he moves once at 3 days....
    sore lose from the look of it. I think we have all suffered fools like this at one point or another.

My rating is all over the place so I don't give a lot of weight to them in the online chess world.
  3. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 18:21
    It's easy to link ratings to some sort of feeling of accomplishment as a player, but in the end it really is nothing but a rough indicator of relative strength.

When I first started here, I was very rating conscious. Now, I feel way worse if I blunder or play poorly against a higher rated player and lose 5 points than if I simply lose a game to someone lower rated who played well and drop 20. Basically, I now strive simply to play well and let my rating fall where it may. And of late, that "falling" has been literal. 🙂

As for the elady/jpassage thing, my advice to elady is to simply subscribe to the site. With infinite games, it no longer really matters how long any given game takes to complete.
  4. Joined
    05 Nov '07
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 01:41
    Originally posted by Mahout
    Trying to punish you the only way he can...when it's finished just thank him for the extra time he gave you to study an endgame you've an interest in. I guess though, there are circumstances where someones rate of play slows down for genuine reasons but either way the only thing you can do is ignore it and play on.
    I slow down when I'm having tough times... nothing personal, just want to use the time I have to think in the better move. Afterwards, there is something called "draw".
  5. Joined
    19 Oct '07
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 15:30
    Rating?
    my opponent Game 4417093 decided to stop moving after 40 moves and even asked me to resign. now he moves once at 3 days....
    Yes, that is true. Maybe you should add that you sent me three rude messages prior to that, and then asked me what my plan was to win, as if I owed you an explanation. I bet you've had several incidents of road rage also, can't seem to wait your turn. I've seen this weird behavior in manic chess players before. Reminds me of that kinky haired chess club member portrayed in the first Bruce P scene of "Searching for Bobby Fischer." That is YOU, eBitch! The funny part is, while you're telling me I can't win, you're asking the forum to not help me win. How pathetic is that?

PS:Can't wait till you get caught playing at work again.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 08:23
    It seems like this fight runs much deeper than just this thread or just this specific game..its amazing that two people can get this angry at each other on a chess site 😕

...It's just pathetic actually 😞
  7. Joined
    19 Oct '07
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 15:26
    Rating?
    Actually, i slowed play after you asked me to resign. I've been able to play for another 50 days, so obviously the request was premature and rude. In fact, elady, this is from the Book Of Etiquette Of Chess, which you apparently love to quote but have never actually used:

One of the most common questions that I see arise with online chess sites and over the board games is when it is proper to resign. First, let me state that you should never ask an opponent to resign. I myself sometimes have games between friends where I try and help them with their openings and tactics. I have told them when a game has reached the point that resigning is the only logical conclusion, but I myself will never message an opponent and tell them that they should resign. I have been tempted to do this many times, but it is not my place. An opponent has the right to play a game till the bitter end. They may just be learning and want to see how you end it. They may not be as familiar as you are with the game, and they might not see the checkmate coming, even when its forced, and as simple as two or three moves away. They may also be playing for a stalemate, and it is their right. It is your responsibility to make sure you win a won game, not theirs.
  8. Joined
    28 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 19:36
    Don't worry either of you, it's mate in about two or three moves anyway!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree