http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2007/11/26/001.html
  2. USA
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 00:20
    with putins gov't, not suprising
  3. At the Revolution
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 02:13
    Putin probably saw the "Colbert Report" episode where Kasparov publicly insulted him, and then got really angry.
  4. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 02:25
    Originally posted by runninfiend
    Say hello again to the Soviet apparichnik:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2007/11/26/001.html
    Kasparov, I am sorry to say, is a publicity-seeking political whore. After all, he is opposed to Putin but is willing to throw in his lot with the National Bolshevik Party because it is alone among the opposition parties in having significant popular appeal (despite the fact that the party is officially banned). Note that Limonov, the leader of the party, was detained but released. That's the difference between having a big mouth and having influence. Kasparov, by contrast, having spent his time poking the bear with a sharp stick, got the photo-op he wanted when it finally bit his behind.
  5. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 15:00
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    Kasparov, I am sorry to say, is a publicity-seeking political whore. After all, he is opposed to Putin but is willing to throw in his lot with the National Bolshevik Party because it is alone among the opposition parties in having significant popular appeal (despite the fact that the party is officially banned). Note that Limonov, the leader of the par ...[text shortened]... poking the bear with a sharp stick, got the photo-op he wanted when it finally bit his behind.
    I have never been a particular admirer of Kasparov the person, as opposed to Kasparov the chess player, but I think you are being grossly unfair to him in your post. It takes real guts to be a prominent opponent of Putin, seeing that a considerable number of them have already been murdered, almost certainly by Putin's shady security services.
    Kasparov could have continued to quietly play chess and make a lot more money, but instead he chose to oppose the ruthless dictator who has taken over his native land. Of course he's made tactical mistakes (probably more that he ever did in chess!), and his chances appear bleak in view of Putin's huge domestic popularity gained by control of the media and a buoyant economy fuelled by high energy prices. But if he (or anyone else) doesn't at least try to oppose Putin's effective dictatorship, what hope is there for a democratic future in Russia?
  6. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 15:11
    Putin seems a bice enough sort of guy when I have seen him. I think Kasparov overstates how much of a 'dictatorship' putin has over the country, as we all know Russians are prone to uprisings if they feel they are being mistreated by the authorities so he must be doing something right.
    Also, he is a judo master, and nobody who practises judo could be an evil person.
  7. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 15:141 edit
    I wish the soviets would return to communist dictatorship.

It would make for some interesting chess.

The propaganda in Chess life would make the magazine all that much better.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 15:19
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    Putin seems a bice enough sort of guy when I have seen him. I think Kasparov overstates how much of a 'dictatorship' putin has over the country, as we all know Russians are prone to uprisings if they feel they are being mistreated by the authorities so he must be doing something right.
    Also, he is a judo master, and nobody who practises judo could be an evil person.
    I hope you're just being sarcastic.
  9. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 15:201 edit
    You are incredibly naive if you think of Putin as 'a nice enough sort of guy'. All effective political opposition in Russia (and sometimes outside too, e.g. Litvinenko) has been crushed (by force if necessary) and Chechnya has twice been brutally invaded with deaths in the 100,000s, mass rape, torture, etc. Some nice guy!
  10. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 15:32
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    You are incredibly naive if you think of Putin as 'a nice enough sort of guy'. All effective political opposition in Russia (and sometimes outside too, e.g. Litvinenko) has been crushed (by force if necessary) and Chechnya has twice been brutally invaded with deaths in the 100,000s, mass rape, torture, etc. Some nice guy!
    But how can we know these 'reports' are not just vicious rumours made up by his opposition to discredit him.

Also, if people had taken tips from him in the Iraq war they would have been over and done with in a matter of weeks instead of all this selective targeting and allowing the media to discredit everything good that has come out of it.
  11. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 15:38
    what were his "tips" ??

mine were....."kill everything that moves....men...women...and kids"

thats how you win a war.....the united states hasn't won a war since WWII why?....because now they only shoot the guys with guns....stupid.
  12. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 15:43
    Nobody lines up their militia in an organised way anymore, civillians would be far less inclined to shelter terrorists if they knew they would be just as valid targets as the resistance forces themselves.
    It is ironic really, that sadam actually had more of a control over the country then the army who deposed him.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 15:47

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 15:48
    But how can we know these 'reports' are not just vicious rumours made up by his opposition to discredit him.

Also, if people had taken tips from him in the Iraq war they would have been over and done with in a matter of weeks instead of all this selective targeting and allowing the media to discredit everything good that has come out of it.
    Because they are well substantiated by respected international humanitarian organisations. Some people just don't seem able to face the facts. Maybe you think all the murdered opposition figures are just 'rumours' too.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 15:49

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree