Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 01 Jan '15 20:54
    Got a voucher for the prize of 1 chessbook: and really like to study kings indian attack. But there are 2 available, both from everymanchess. Which one?

by John Emms, 2005 or
    Neil McDonald 2013
  2. 01 Jan '15 21:05
    I would recommend Mcdonald's book. I don't know much about either, but I enjoy that series.
  3. 01 Jan '15 22:43
    and I enjoy the book about the Scotch written by Emms. anyone read one of the 2 kings indian books?
  4. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    01 Jan '15 23:16
    Originally posted by aljoge
    Got a voucher for the prize of 1 chessbook: and really like to study kings indian attack. But there are 2 available, both from everymanchess. Which one?

by John Emms, 2005 or
    Neil McDonald 2013
    I own and have read both books. They are both great, but I would recommend the McDonald book for two reasons:

1) McDonald's book is a very modern treatment, showing lines, ideas, and finesses that have only come to the forefront in the last few years. I have played the KIA for 20 years, but he introduced nuances I have never seen before.

2) Emms' book is superb, but it is older, so you can probably find it at a discount if you scour the internet a bit.

Ideally, I would recommend reading the Emms book first, as it has a better historical perspective, and then read McDonald's book. The Emms book has more "classic" KIA themes that show up in amateur games all the time, and provides a broader base from which to learn the opening.
  5. 01 Jan '15 23:43
    I also own both books...I will recommend McDonald's book. EveryMan Chess publishes a very good series
  6. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    02 Jan '15 00:15
    I own neither book but recommend McDonald's book because it's newer. So there!
  7. 02 Jan '15 00:39
    I could never own a book by Neil McDonald as he has ginger eyebrows.
  8. 02 Jan '15 08:06
    ty for this comparison. Seems that both are great, so will choose the newest one from McDonald.
  9. 02 Jan '15 15:16
    What ever book you get cover it in brown paper and write on the cover
    in large felt tip pen. 'How to Play Against the KIA.'

That way your White King's Bishop will think when you are playing over the games
    it is to learn how to play against the KIA and you are not thinking of adopting it.

If your White King Bishop finds out you are planning to fianchetto
    it in every game then you will not be able to get it out of the box.

Reading what Paul says (who has experience with this opening)
    Go for Emms first (I also agree with Datafly about the ginger eyebrows.)

Emms has the basics and this bit about the Emms book:

"...KIA themes that show up in amateur games all the time,
    and provides a broader base from which to learn the opening."

Ginger eyebrows will pushing you in the deep end with these 'nuances' from GM games.
    Learn to doggie paddle first and see how the averge joe reacts to this set-up.

Finally don't forget to tell your team captain what you are intedning to play so he can
    arrange it that you get Black in every league game and not waste the White pieces on you.

Send my kindest regards to your White King's Bishop...I hope he gets well soon.
  10. 02 Jan '15 19:03
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    What ever book you get cover it in brown paper and write on the cover
    in large felt tip pen. 'How to Play Against the KIA.'

That way your White King's Bishop will think when you are playing over the games
    it is to learn how to play against the KIA and you are not thinking of adopting it.

If your White King Bishop finds out you are planning to fi ...[text shortened]... ieces on you.

Send my kindest regards to your White King's Bishop...I hope he gets well soon.
    Luckily I did not order and changed my mind and changed my mind and handed this voucher in for Emms book. Now got more feeling what those ginger eyebrows are: My opponents come from a day hard work and have sleepy eyebrows and for this introduction: "...KIA themes that show up in amateur games all the time,
    and provides a broader base from which to learn the opening." It sounds promising to understand it.

Hope the white pieces are not wasted
  11. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    02 Jan '15 21:46
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

Finally don't forget to tell your team captain what you are intending to play so he can
    arrange it that you get Black in every league game and not waste the White pieces on you.
    LOL!
    As a Die hard KID and 1. e4 guy I agree. 😛
  12. 02 Jan '15 22:23
    I don't follow, players who play KIA over and over, but if you tell the team captain about it, they put you on black?

Is this system successful anyway?
  13. 03 Jan '15 03:21 / 1 edit
    I have John Emms book, good stuff. (Naa, I don't play the KIA), but if I would thats probably a very good book. Remember reading positive reviews about it. John Emms himself confess to have played KIA extensively in his teens. Plus I like Emms writing much better than McDonald. KIA theory changes very little which is why you should not hesitate not to get the newer book.
  14. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    03 Jan '15 03:38 / 1 edit
    Sorry, an error occurred. Please report this problem.