1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 17:26
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Some fun commentary in the Classic today,
    analysis thus far provided by GM's Nigel Short, Daniel King and Mickey Adams (thankful after his 91 moves win yesterday!)

Commentary has been momentarily postponed as they gave a "book of the year" award ceremony during live feed...

This years winner was Willy Hendriks, with his book "Move first, think ...[text shortened]... looked at Anand's game yet (which as FatLady would probably predict will be a draw lol)
    I've read this already and it is pretty good. It's the first chess book i've finished cover to cover in ten years and that was over a couple of weeks. Don't expect to learn too much, there are some good puzzles in it but the focus of the book is more a discussion how to learn. Hendricks spends 6 o 7 chapters critiquing the way other books are written and provides some interesting thoughts on what constitutes a well written book.

The advantage to this book is that you don't need a chess board out to read it, that is the main reason i finished it. It has got me reading again though, so i've been digging out some of my old books and have started studying again after a long lay off. Can't be a bad thing.. 🙂
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 20:21
    Carlsen again! This kid is just exceptional!!
  3. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 20:40
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Carlsen again! This kid is just exceptional!!
    Aronian sacced a pawn early on and couldn't get compensation for it....

all 4 games have lasted a long time though, tough and tight battles

Nakamura is doing his usual thing and refusing to resign... looks like Kramnik is heading for 2 out of 2 wins also
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 21:16
    Aronian sacced a pawn early on and couldn't get compensation for it....

all 4 games have lasted a long time though, tough and tight battles

Nakamura is doing his usual thing and refusing to resign... looks like Kramnik is heading for 2 out of 2 wins also
    Aronian might have been down a pawn, but finding a win from that middle game just blows my mind. He is in a class of his own. Kramnik looks good too, i can't wait for his game with Carlsen, every time those two play it's a classic! I have to hand it to Anand as well, how did he manage to draw that game??!!
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 15:21
    I really hate Carlsen's position against Kramnik after move 20 in their third round game. It looks like Kramnik might win a few games in this tournament after all.
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 16:02
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I really hate Carlsen's position against Kramnik after move 20 in their third round game. It looks like Kramnik might win a few games in this tournament after all.
    Well Carlsen clearly chose to go for this position with an isolated b-pawn on an open file. He could have played ..a4 at some point to prevent whites b4 push and the subsequent exchanges on that file. I find it hard to criticise his opening play tbh, he clearly prefers to dodge opening theory and get straight down to the ending in most of his games. I agree with you, the position looks favorable for Kramnik in my opinion too but Carlsen is a much better judge than you or I. Let's see how it looks at move 40. 🙂
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 16:38
    http://www.londonchessclassic.com/press_releases.htm#lcc2012pairingsannounced

So the pairings and schedule of play has been finalised... just a matter of waiting for the games to begin!

Good quality line up as usual...
    Perhaps in many peoples eyes, Carlsen is faves to win... but in this format it could be anybodys for the taking

So, who's r ...[text shortened]... e final round Carlsen has the white pieces vs. Anand... perhaps the game to win the tournament?
    I hope Magnus carlsen Wins.
  8. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 17:06
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    It looks like Kramnik might win London Chess Classic for the second time in a row.
  9. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 17:20
    Adams (another drawmaster) is going to have his second win vs Polgar.
    Jones & Aronian are fighting for draw vs Naka & Anand.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 19:14
    Originally posted by Pacifique
    Adams (another drawmaster) is going to have his second win vs Polgar.
    Jones & Aronian are fighting for draw vs Naka & Anand.
    these guys run out lines faster than Deep Blue with Joel Benjamin pushing the buttons!
    Kramnik is unbelievable! I should give up chess, for sure.
  11. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 19:22
    Carlsen and Aronian managed to draw their games. Naka stands obviously better, but I don`t see the winning plan for him.
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 19:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    these guys run out lines faster than Deep Blue with Joel Benjamin pushing the buttons!
    Kramnik is unbelievable! I should give up chess, for sure.
    That after game analysis was just hilarious! My head is spinning, there were only two people in the room following all that. 🙄

There is such an obvious respect between those two, i don't think they've ever played a dull game. The only down side to the recent change in the candidates tournament is that we'll be denied a possible match between these two players. I'd really love to see them play a 6/8 game match, it would be so interesting to see who came out on top. 🙂
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 19:30
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    That after game analysis was just hilarious! My head is spinning, there were only two people in the room following all that. 🙄

There is such an obvious respect between those two, i don't think they've ever played a dull game. The only down side to the recent change in the candidates tournament is that we'll be denied a possible match between these t ...[text shortened]... to see them play a 6/8 game match, it would be so interesting to see who came out on top. 🙂
    I know, even the two Grandmasters who were following along were like blown away.
  14. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 20:08
    I missed todays games... (well, Naka Jones are still playing lol)

Was a win ever obvious for kramnik? Or was Carlsen always going to draw?
    I haven't looked at the game yet, will probably do later on tonight
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 20:20
    I missed todays games... (well, Naka Jones are still playing lol)

Was a win ever obvious for kramnik? Or was Carlsen always going to draw?
    I haven't looked at the game yet, will probably do later on tonight
    It's very hard to say. Houdini never had Kramnik up more than 1.0 but white couldn't pass a pawn in any variation i've seen. Kramnik did demonstrate a few ways he could possibly have made things more difficult but Carlsens greatest strength is his end game and i don't think Kramnik had enough of an advantage to force a win. Very interesting game, full of little tricks and 'only moves'. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree