1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 01:32
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Truuee, but.... wanna watch live! 😲

Only live games i seen up to now are from this years world championship Anand vs Gelfand....
    we all know how gripping and intense THAT was, huh
    I found myself watching 5 hours of commentary every night last time London was on. I wish every super GM tournie provided so much coverage. I completely ignored the WC after the first couple of games. I'm so pleased the format has changed to a double round robin (for the candidates). I'd actually prefer that to include the WC, but that's another debate.. 🙂
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 06:133 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I like Carlsens games as well, he tends to avoid theoretical battles and simply gets his pieces out and outplays his opponents.

Carlsen v Polgar
    [pgn]1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d3 Nc6 4. g3 d5 5. Qe2 Nf6 6. Bg2 Be7 7. O-O b5 8. exd5 exd5 9. d4 c4 10. Ne5 Nxd4 11. Qd1 Qb6 12. Be3 Bc5 13. Nc3 Be6 14. a4 b4 15. a5 Qc7 16. Na4 Bd6 17. Nxc4 Qxc4 18. Bxd4 B ...[text shortened]... e1 Qb6 34. Re3 a5 35. Rf3 Bg7 36. h4 h5 37. Ne4 Qd4 38. Ng5 Qxd5 39. Bxd5 Bc3 40. Rxf7 1-0[/pgn]
    Here is my psychological analysis of the Calsen vs Polgar game you posted if you are interested.

3. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 14:25
    NO I AM NOT..!
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 14:30
    Originally posted by kingshill
    NO I AM NOT..!
    Que?
  5. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 15:09
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Really? Is this a personal opinion or has there been a rumour suggesting this? I would be so upset if this tournament disappears as well. It is so well organised! TLCC is like Wimbledon for me, totally unmissable! :'(
    Higher quality than a rumour, but below the quality of a final decision. Source? The horse's mouth
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 21:06
    Originally posted by atticus2
    Higher quality than a rumour, but below the quality of a final decision. Source? The horse's mouth
    Really? That would be terrible! If this tournament finishes, what are all these super GMs going to do with themselves? Take up poker??
  7. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 21:55
    Really? That would be terrible! If this tournament finishes, what are all these super GMs going to do with themselves? Take up poker??
    Not so terrible in practice.

The sponsor is a hedge fund manager with a bottomless pile of cash. He's extracted all the political & business contacts he needs from the associations with the event. It can't go on forever. Be thankful it did at all
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 23:52
    Would it be inappropriate to guess who the mysterious sponsor is? I've got a strong suspicion of who it might be.
  9. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 00:33
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Would it be inappropriate to guess who the mysterious sponsor is? I've got a strong suspicion of who it might be.
    By all means, tell! I for one would love to know. Inappropriate? What could possibly be more inappropriate than what already goes on in this forum?
  10. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 14:03
    Guess away. I do know, but have honestly forgotten the name. Guesses might prompt my memory. I don't think the name is a secrecy. Rather, the guy doesn't want (or need) generalised publicity.
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 16:34
    Well judging by the fact that nowadays I only ever hear about him at the London Chess Classic and that he is known to be very rich, I think the sponsor could well be David Norwood.

He was sat at the "Sponsor's table" in 2010:
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6908

Of course he could just be a friend of the sponsor.
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 16:57
    Well judging by the fact that nowadays I only ever hear about him at the London Chess Classic and that he is known to be very rich, I think the sponsor could well be David Norwood.

Would Luke McShane have any professional relationship with this sponsor? He's something of a City boy as i understand it..?

Also, who keeps giving Atticus2 a thumbs down on every post? It's very childish..
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 20:581 edit
    Would Luke McShane have any professional relationship with this sponsor? He's something of a City boy as i understand it..?

Also, who keeps giving Atticus2 a thumbs down on every post? It's very childish..
    Atticus2 was given 1 tumbs up and 4 tumbs down on 4 posts. I was given 4 tumbs down on 1 post, and I was trying to educate you guys on the psychology of chess. How childish is that?
  14. Joined
    16 Nov '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 21:13
  15. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 23:431 edit

Definitely not Norwood. I'd certainly not have forgotten that name. It's a guy who runs a hedge fund, not a fund I'm familiar with; hence, the name didn't register. Doubt McShane is involved. He definitely wasn't at the start.

Thumbs up, thumbs down? Do I care?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree