Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member GalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    14 May '07 19:32 / 1 edit
    Hi, I'm looking for some help as black against the King's Gambit. I've used the same line (2. Nc6) for a long time but I lose way to much with it so I'm looking for an improvement. If anyone could give me a line or two and play a couple set piece games explaining why certain moves are good/bad, I'd really appreciate it. Send me a PM if you're willing to help so I can add you to my buddies so the games will get through. Thanks!

    Edit: I know there are oodles of threads about the KG out there, but I don't feel like digging through them.
  2. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    14 May '07 19:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Hi, I'm looking for some help as black against the King's Gambit. I've used the same line (2. Nc6) for a long time but I lose way to much with it so I'm looking for an improvement. If anyone could give me a line or two and play a couple set piece games explaining why certain moves are good/bad, I'd really appreciate it. Send me a PM if you're willing to ...[text shortened]... are oodles of threads about the KG out there, but I don't feel like digging through them.
    The Kings Gambit is so bad for black. I suggest you avoid it my playing c5, c6, e6 or even g5!

    Although if you insist on playing e5 try.
    1. e4 e5;
    2. f4 d5!

    After eXd black has the initiative.
  3. 14 May '07 19:38 / 1 edit
    it's pretty bad. I usually choose a path of c5 instead
  4. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    14 May '07 19:39
  5. 14 May '07 19:40
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Hi, I'm looking for some help as black against the King's Gambit. I've used the same line (2. Nc6) for a long time but I lose way to much with it so I'm looking for an improvement. If anyone could give me a line or two and play a couple set piece games explaining why certain moves are good/bad, I'd really appreciate it. Send me a PM if you're willing to ...[text shortened]... are oodles of threads about the KG out there, but I don't feel like digging through them.
    The kg is harmless if you know how to play against it. If you have time, just study the main line (1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 g5 etc.), and you'll see black is fine after the opening. If you want just a few lines to learn I'd suggest kga with 3..d5. You should try playing the kg as white to learn the ideas behind it
  6. 14 May '07 19:50 / 1 edit
    I always use the Falkbeer counter as black with reasonably good results.
    It can easily throw white off their game, blocking their favoute 1/2 open f-file & giving black open lines & early counter-chances.

    In my opinion, 2...d5 does deserve a !
  7. Standard member GalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    14 May '07 19:51
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    The Kings Gambit is so bad for black. I suggest you avoid it my playing c5, c6, e6 or even g5!

    Although if you insist on playing e5 try.
    1. e4 e5;
    2. f4 d5!

    After eXd black has the initiative.
    Yeah, but I hate the Sicilian, Caro, Pirc, and the Borg, so I don't think they're options in this case .

    I was thinking about d5. I'll have to try it sometime.

    And thanks for the link, Korch, after just skimming it over I think it'll help me out a lot.
  8. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    14 May '07 19:52 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    I always use the Falkbeer counter as black with reasonably good results.
    It can easily throw white off their game, blocking their favoute 1/2 open f-file & giving black open lines & early counter-chances.
    I think Falkbeer is no good. At least i know how to play for getting endgame position with better play for white.

    So follow my recommendations in Thread 63724 and play 2...Bc5
  9. 14 May '07 20:01
    I know from personal experience, I prefer to accpet the gambit, but maybe the people I play just aren't as good as the ones your having trouble with.
  10. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    14 May '07 20:05
    Originally posted by c guy1
    I know from personal experience, I prefer to accpet the gambit, but maybe the people I play just aren't as good as the ones your having trouble with.
    Accept it if you want.

    Here is an example of what can happen to a 2150 player as black Game 2439096 when facing the KGA.
  11. 14 May '07 20:14
    Originally posted by Korch
    I think Falkbeer is no good. At least i know how to play for getting endgame position with better play for white.

    So follow my recommendations in Thread 63724 and play 2...Bc5
    Federov & Joseph Gallagher (both KG specialists) have been beaten with The Falkbeer so I don't think it can be dismissed so easily!

    Karpov has used it to good effect, also.
  12. Standard member English Tal
    Phoneless
    14 May '07 20:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Accept it if you want.

    Here is an example of what can happen to a 2150 player as black Game 2439096 when facing the KGA.
    KGA should always be accepted.
    Here's an example of what can happen to a 2150 player as white.
    Game 2967965
  13. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    14 May '07 20:20
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Federov & Joseph Gallagher (both KG specialists) have been beaten with The Falkbeer so I don't think it can be dismissed so easily!

    Karpov has used it to good effect, also.
    Maybe. Could you give me links to these games to see did white played line which i think the best?
  14. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    14 May '07 20:41
    Originally posted by English Tal
    KGA should always be accepted.
    Here's an example of what can happen to a 2150 player as white.
    Game 2967965
    Well done. I guess I was lucky!
  15. 14 May '07 20:43
    Originally posted by Korch
    Maybe. Could you give me links to these games to see did white played line which i think the best?
    I use the chessbase db at chesslive.
    Don't know how to link the games but the details of some notable white losses to the Falkbeer (so you can refine search & find games) are as follows:

    Federov v Yurtaev 29/09/1998
    Gallagher v Barkhagen 1995
    Macieja v Karpov 04/07/2003