1. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 11:38
    Heya All,

Sorry to have to ask but the search function here is soooooo limited πŸ™

I am looking for a thread I read awhile back (coulpa months?) which had a list of books grouped by ratings ( 1000 - 1200 read XYZ etc...).

Now I have the script that allows me to bookmark threads, well I want to bookmark it and hopefully get myself a recommended book on tactics based on my 1300 rating

Thanks
    Steve
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 16:08
    That would probably be in the get to 1400/1600/1800/2000 threads. In my opinion players of 1000-1500 often suffer from "piece blunderitis" - blundering pieces even at correspondence chess.

Karpov's dictum In general one has to learn not to lose, and wins will then come of their own accord is true. Once one learns not to blunder and the use of tactical devices such as pins, forks, discovered check etc. one becomes a "serious" player.
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 16:221 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 16:331 edit
    Aye, great threadπŸ˜‰
  5. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 16:42
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That was it. Thanks! I couldn't figure out what to search on
  6. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 16:49
    Originally posted by z00t
    ...Once one learns not to blunder ...
    Was just saying that to my friend a yesterday after I lost my Q due to a complete blunder. Figure I would go up at least 100 pts if I just didn't make those really stupid, obvious errors. Plus I'm sure those nasty headache's I get after a blunder, caused I believe from banging had against wall, would subside πŸ™‚

The ones I hate the most are the moves I have already determined NOT to make because that would be STUPID and then after 10 min of deep analytical thinking (ya right) I go ahead and make the move anyway. DOH!
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 17:29
    Originally posted by SPDChess
    Was just saying that to my friend a yesterday after I lost my Q due to a complete blunder. Figure I would go up at least 100 pts if I just didn't make those really stupid, obvious errors. Plus I'm sure those nasty headache's I get after a blunder, caused I believe from banging had against wall, would subside πŸ™‚

The ones I hate the most are the moves I h ...[text shortened]... after 10 min of deep analytical thinking (ya right) I go ahead and make the move anyway. DOH!
    Never think I will NOT do that. The brain doesn't cope well with negatives and what you end up remembering is I will do that, and then instantly regret it. As I understand it this is standard sports psychology advice. You should think something like I'll find a better move and your brain will handle it better.
  8. Standard memberSPDChess
    Chess Monk
    Surrey
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 18:25
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    ...The brain doesn't cope well with negatives and what you end up remembering is I will do that, and then instantly regret it. ...
    Ya know my partner (girlfriend sounds so high school) was a teacher and I remember her mentioning that in terms of dealing with students. Sound advice. Thanks

FWIW, I'm also trying to get more into the habit of taking notes πŸ˜‰
  9. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 18:58
    Originally posted by SPDChess
    Ya know my partner (girlfriend sounds so high school) was a teacher and I remember her mentioning that in terms of dealing with students. Sound advice. Thanks

FWIW, I'm also trying to get more into the habit of taking notes πŸ˜‰
    Notes are an excellent idea. When I used to play just a few games, not having notes was fine. When I only played 1/x games, no notes was fine. But in 7 day timeout games, notes are a must.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree