1. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 21:53
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    You may be correct. How do I access my tablebases through the Fritz GUI without turning on the engine?
    Engine, Turn off Engine.
  2. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 21:55
    Originally posted by Varenka
    Tablebases differ from databases...

This is especially true becuase analysis engines must be running to access tablebases

That is wrong. The Fritz GUI (not just the engine component) accesses the tablebases directly...
    True. I don't need to have the Engine running in Fritz to have the tablebases show up.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 22:04
    Originally posted by pinkthunder
    True. I don't need to have the Engine running in Fritz to have the tablebases show up.
    I don't see it. Could you be more specific?
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 22:07
    I just fired up my Fritz a few minutes ago, and the only way I was able to access my tablebases was to turn on my engine. So yes, please show me how you do it.
  5. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 22:10
    Alternatively use an engine that doesn't know anything about tablebases. The Fritz GUI will still access the tablebases when a tablebase position is reached.
  6. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 22:151 edit
    So, to be clear, the site referenced *is* legal?
    Do you want the TOS answer? Or the forum answer? 🙂 I'm not trying to be funny, it's the way it is.
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 22:19
    Alternatively use an engine that doesn't know anything about tablebases. The Fritz GUI will still access the tablebases when a tablebase position is reached.
    I think I see your point, but even if the GUI is actually accessing the tablebases, it appears that Fritz requires the engine to be running in order for the GUI to access the tablebases. I wonder if there are any other GUIs out there that don't require the engine to be running to access the tablebases?
  8. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 22:23
    I'm using Fritz 9, Wulebgr. To turn off the engine I click on "Engine", "Switch Off Engine".

I have to correct myself and apologize. I was recalling all of that from memory. I went into my office, fired up my main box, and checked. No matter which engine I use (Rybka, Fritz, Fruit, Zappa, Crafty), I am *not* able to read the tablebases without turning on the engine.

So, what about the Web site I referenced (Shredder's endgame database)? Can that still be used?
  9. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 22:27
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I'm not sure. But we do know that if such a GUI doesn't exist it could be written without needing an analysis engine. Compare the Shredder online endgame page; it just looks up some data for a given endgame position... code without an analysis engine.

I think one thing that most people agree on is that it would help clarify things if the admins added a few sentences to the TOS relating to this issue.
  10. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 22:30
    ...I think one thing that most people agree on is that it would help clarify things if the admins added a few sentences to the TOS relating to this issue.
    Agree. I don't really want to get banned from this site, and I'd like a *clear* answer.
  11. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 22:40
    Agree. I don't really want to get banned from this site, and I'd like a *clear* answer.
    The popular answer via the forums is *not* to use the Shredder site or similar for endgames. But maybe also worth raising with an admin.

I personally have never used an endgame database/tablebase while playing on here, but this is because of forum threads and not the TOS.
  12. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 22:531 edit
    The popular answer via the forums is *not* to use the Shredder site or similar for endgames. But maybe also worth raising with an admin.

I personally have never used an endgame database/tablebase while playing on here, but this is because of forum threads and not the TOS.
    I've never been in a position to need an endgame data/table -base in my games here yet. I either won or lost clearly or just said "Draw?" If the need arises, however, I would like to use one. A clear answer is necessary, so I left a post in the Help forum.

Edit: Maybe the Help forum isn't the correct place if I want to reach an Admin?
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 22:56
    I've never been in a position to need an endgame data/table -base in my games here yet. I either won or lost clearly or just said "Draw?" If the need arises, however, I would like to use one. A clear answer is necessary, so I left a post in the Help forum.

Edit: Maybe the Help forum isn't the correct place if I want to reach an Admin?
    You can message one of the game mods - Cludi, Gatecrasher, Tmetzler, Phlabibit - IDK if there are others.

But I do know tablebases are NOT allowed on RHP.
  14. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 23:03
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    But I do know tablebases are NOT allowed on RHP.
    So I can assume that you intend to personally change the TOS to clarify this? Just wondering.
  15. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 23:13
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    So I can assume that you intend to personally change the TOS to clarify this? Just wondering.
    I know you weren't replying to me, but for what it's worth...

Thread 50984

:-)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree