1. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 03:391 edit
    Just found out about this and it's pretty cool!

You can import a game (PGN format), run an engine analysis, and the interface color codes all the moves to show which ones were good, bad or inaccurate.

You can click on one of the bad moves and the interface shows an engine hint of what would have been better in that position.

If you double-click on a move, a popup shows a list of possible moves with engine evaluations, sorted from best to worst. The actual move from the game is highlighted in that list.

https://lucaschess.pythonanywhere.com

Lucas Chess has other training functions that I haven't even tried yet, but I really like how it presents the analysis results and move hints.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 11:27
    @caesar-salad said

You can import a game (PGN format), run an engine analysis, and the interface color codes all the moves to show which ones were good, bad or inaccurate.

You can click on one of the bad moves and the interface shows an engine hint of what would have been better in that position.

If you double-click on a move, a pop ...[text shortened]... hat I haven't even tried yet, but I really like how it presents the analysis results and move hints.
    Sounded interesting.
    Tried to have a look but my ancient computer running Windows vista won't play ball.
    I click on any of the options and nothing happens.
    I might try on the wife's laptop(running windows 8) sometime when she's not using it.
    Does it cost anything?
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 11:583 edits
    @venda said
    Sounded interesting.
    Tried to have a look but my ancient computer running Windows vista won't play ball.
    I click on any of the options and nothing happens.
    I might try on the wife's laptop(running windows 8) sometime when she's not using it.
    Does it cost anything?
    No, it's free.

From third-party sites it looks like it should run on Windows XP and up.

Something not obvious: After running engine analysis on a game, click Config > View > PGN Information. That opens another panel to the right (for adding comments to the PGN) and also activates the hint arrows showing the engine's preferred moves. Maybe there's another way to activate the hint arrows, but I only downloaded this app last night.

Must read some of the documentation and look at some of the videos sometime.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 12:33
    I anaylsed a game Game 13872797 and found myself to oscilate in an ELO between 0 and 3500...in fact I seem to gvae dropped 15.4 Points on average and still won 🙂. My average guess is 63% whatever that menas.
  5. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 15:06
    @caesar-salad said

If you double-click on a move, a pop ...[text shortened]... hat I haven't even tried yet, but I really like how it presents the analysis results and move hints.
    Is this the sort of online youtube boxed window direction or similar such of what 'Fritz' utilises sc?
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 21:054 edits
    @hells-caretaker said
    Is this the sort of online youtube boxed window direction or similar such of what 'Fritz' utilises sc?
    If you mean something like the Fritz Trainers, no, there's no video involved in the app itself, but there are some YouTube tutorials on how to use it.

Probably a lot of other chess apps do something similar: engine analysis of a game that lists alternative (and better) lines for each move -- I just like the way it's formatted and presented with the color coding of moves (based on engine rating) and hint arrows that show what would have been better for the less optimal moves.

I have gone through about a dozen of my games since yesterday. I've had other chess apps for years and had not been inspired to do such a thing until now. Admittedly, I might have missed very similar features in those other apps.

Anyway, I'm starting to notice some categories of things I typically do wrong or fail to do, just by checking my blunders and inaccuracies.
  7. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 22:031 edit
    @caesar-salad
    Yeah, understood👍
  8. Standard memberwanderm
    Detached Obsessive
    Melbourne
    Moves
    23 Jul '20 03:19
    Thank you for posting this.

The app typically suggests I make errors for an "Elo 1450" player, which probably is well north of reality... but I can do with that sort of ego boost!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree