1. Neuquen, Argentina
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 18:21
    Fischer is a mith. He would have been destroyed by Karpov or Kasparov in the late 70ss or earlies 80ss. He had decided to dissapear...creating a mith, a legend...the grat american chess player...He is now playing silly chess games...instead of showing the world his true potencial.
    I think that Carlsen it´s a good west europian project.
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 18:30
    Originally posted by hipercandombe
    Fischer is a mith. He would have been destroyed by Karpov or Kasparov in the late 70ss or earlies 80ss. He had decided to dissapear...creating a mith, a legend...the grat american chess player...He is now playing silly chess games...instead of showing the world his true potencial.
    We shall see. Many a great prodigy never becomes a truly great grandmaster.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 15:21
    Magnus looks to be in trouble today.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 16:14
    well kasparov himself believes that fischer would have beaten karpov. as for fischer-kasparov i dont know. he doesnt play chess actually now.
    and fischer was known for single handedly taking out the soviet chess machine. carlsen is amazing for a 15 year - old, but only that, for a 15 year old. he still has yet to dominate the scene of chess like fischer did. when carlsen is world champion he can begin to be compared to fischer.
  5. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 17:26
    Originally posted by ViA
    Spoken like a true American 😀

But where are they now? Kamsky is on the next flight home, what else is there?
    More strong GM's are living in USA now, then ever. Soon we will tip the scales with top players. Kamsky is doing pretty good for someone who was "retired" for so long
  6. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 17:27
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Prodigies tend to be overrated. Compare with e.g. Naiditsch, who seemed like he was going to be very strong, but not great, but in the last year or two has emerged as someone who can take out top GMs.

I'll wait until Carlsen starts beating top 10 opponents before I get too excited.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 17:32
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    That was until Naiditsch messed it up. 🙂
  8. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 17:40
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    That was until Naiditsch messed it up. 🙂
    That Naiditsch. Always said he was a loser.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 17:41
    Originally posted by dottewell
    That Naiditsch. Always said he was a loser.
    😀
  10. Joined
    20 Sep '02
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 18:02
    Magnus Carlsen is a very special talent however the stand out young player in the world today is Sergey Karjakin. He was one of Ponomariov seconds during his world championship match against Ivanchuk in 2002...when he was 12! Karjakin is the youngest GM in chess history and is about 10 months older than Carlsen and won the right to play in the elite Corus A section this year and is doing very well. Go through this game where he breaks the reigning WC Kramnik's Berlin defense: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1296238
  11. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 18:10
    😀
    Actually just had a look at the site and it seems all the results were bizarre today (Kamsky, Adams, etc.)
  12. The sky
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 01:03
    Magnus had another win in round 7. He is one point ahead of David Navara, whom he will play tomorrow (er, today).
  13. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 01:13
    Magnus had another win in round 7. He is one point ahead of David Navara, whom he will play tomorrow (er, today).
    Although to be fair, Karjakin is in second, only half a point behind Topalov, in group A.
  14. The sky
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 01:42
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Although to be fair, Karjakin is in second, only half a point behind Topalov, in group A.
    Yes, but this is the Carlsen thread, not the Karjakin thread. 😛

Only time will show who of the two will do better on the long run. It's hard to tell who has more talent. But Magnus comes from a country which doesn't have much of a chess tradition, he started playing seriously later than most chess prodigies, and according to his parents he has never been forced to train. I don't know Karjakin's background, but most likely he has had a much more intense training.
  15. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 22:41
    ok 1200

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree