1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    06 Aug '06 22:451 edit
    Have any of you seriously though of a plan and then used it during your games? I most just play a move I like but i'm thinking I should start planning. Here's a good example one I found:

White to move, plan away.
  2. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    06 Aug '06 23:04
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Have any of you seriously though of a plan and then used it during your games? I most just play a move I like but i'm thinking I should start planning. Here's a good example one I found:

[fen]2b1r2k/4r1bp/1pq1P1pN/p1pp4/7Q/P7/1PB2PPP/R3R1K1 w - - 0 25[/fen]

White to move, plan away.
    If you want to learn planning, read the amazing book How To Reassess Your Chess.
    I put a simple version of it on http://michael-boyd.net/planning/
    Heres how i would look at the position:

Differences

# White has a strong passed pawn on e6
    # He will have problems defending it
    # Black has the bishop pair
    # White has a bishop and knight
    # Blacks dark bishop is strong because it breathes down the weak diagonal
    # White has pieces near the black king
    # Black is contralised and has a strong position

What side should white play on

Queenside? No pieces there or aimed there. Has a pawn minority. So not the queenside.
    Center? No pieces there just now but he has the strong passed pawn.
    Kingside? He has a bishop, knight, and queen all there so definetly worth a look. Also the pawn blocks off an escape route for the king.
    Ok so we will play on the kingside.

Analyse

First you notice that the queen and king are on the same file. Is there a check? Yes. By moving the knight and h7-pawn the black king is in check. How can we move the h7 pawn? By taking on g6!
    1. Bxg6
    hxg6 looses straight away to Nf5+
    If black moves his e8 rook then Nf7 leads to mate
    So:
    ...Rxe6
    Bxe8 Rxe8
    Nf7+ Kg8
    Rxe8+ Qxe8
    Nd6 and you are up the exchange
  3. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    06 Aug '06 23:19
    I am glad you are back RahimK ,i have always appreciated your knowlege and generosity of chess1
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    06 Aug '06 23:23
    Originally posted by Caro Kann
    If you want to learn planning, read the amazing book How To Reassess Your Chess.
    I put a simple version of it on http://michael-boyd.net/planning/
    Heres how i would look at the position:

[b]Differences

# White has a strong passed pawn on e6
    # He will have problems defending it
    # Black has the bishop pair
    # White has a bishop and knight
    # Bl ...[text shortened]... f7 leads to mate
    So:
    ...Rxe6
    Bxe8 Rxe8
    Nf7+ Kg8
    Rxe8+ Qxe8
    Nd6 and you are up the exchange[/b]
    Have you seen this position before on a website or did you use a chess program?

I'm just wondering because I got this from a website and it was played by 2 players around 2000+ rating and your response was really good and quick.

Btw, great webpage. How much does it cost to have something like that?
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    06 Aug '06 23:25
    Originally posted by mipmcpt
    I am glad you are back RahimK ,i have always appreciated your knowlege and generosity of chess1
    Great, now solve the puzzle. I should post another one on here.
  6. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    06 Aug '06 23:291 edit
    Have you seen this position before on a website or did you use a chess program?

I'm just wondering because I got this from a website and it was played by 2 players around 2000+ rating and your response was really good and quick.

Btw, great webpage. How much does it cost to have something like that?
    No ive never saw that position before.

I just went through the steps of planning. I narrowed it down to which side I would play on - the kingside. Then looked at the features on that area and thats what I came up with. And no I didnt use an engine 😛

Thanks for the compliment on the website. It doesnt cost alot to have a site. You can get it pretty cheap for like $6 a month. If you want to start one I advise you go with lunarpages - http://www.lunarpages.com/

With a special coupon code when ordering (just google it) you can get price off and usually a free domain name.

It costs me about £50 (pounds, not dollars) to have a site paid in advance for 2 years. I have 5 sites just now and they all were from £40-70 for 2 years
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 02:20
    No ive never saw that position before.

I just went through the steps of planning. I narrowed it down to which side I would play on - the kingside. Then looked at the features on that area and thats what I came up with. And no I didnt use an engine 😛

Thanks for the compliment on the website. It doesnt cost alot to have a site. You can get it pretty c ...[text shortened]... e paid in advance for 2 years. I have 5 sites just now and they all were from £40-70 for 2 years
    Great job on the puzzle. How long would you say it took you? The original player said it took him 10 min and he was 2300CC, 2100 Fide.

As for the site that's a great price. I keep track of my chess on a blog for now.

One question though, why do you bother with the chess site? $6 a month and what do you get out of it? Just curious.

I got some annotated master games which I went through on here if you want to use them. Just let me know. I'm reading through you site right now.
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 02:322 edits
    Same thing for this one, White to move:

What is the plan?

9. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 12:41
    One question though, why do you bother with the chess site? $6 a month and what do you get out of it? Just curious.
    Good question. And I dont really know.

I do it because I want to try and improve the way I think. Writing it down makes it clearer than reading it out of a book. Also I want to help people. If just 1 person found it useful then its good, right?

I would prefer an active forum but I dont think thats going to happen.

Ill start looking at the 2nd puzzle now
  10. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 13:05
    Same thing for this one, White to move:

What is the plan?

[fen]r2q1rk1/pb2npbp/1p1ppnp1/2pP4/2P1P3/P1N2N2/1PB2PPP/R1BQR1K1 w - - 0 12[/fen]
    Ok here goes.

Differences / Imbalances

# White has more space in the center
    # His bishop pair are potentially very strong
    # The black light squared bishop has little scope because of the d5 pawn
    # There is a potential hole on d4 for blacks knight/bishop later on
    # Blacks queenside pawns have been weakened on the light colors. Possible king invasion in an endgame (always look towards a favourable endgame) or use by the light square bishop.
    # Lack of open files for either side

What side to play on

Queenside: Can create instant havock by playing b4. However this gives black an outpost on c5 after swapping pawns. His extra space would help him (c4 and d5 pawns). Has a square for his bishop on a4 and maybe his knight on b5. So store queenside away in possible ideas.

Center: Has a strong center. All pieces centrelised (except the a1 rook, but it can come into play later and just now it helps prevent counterplay on the q-side). Has play against e6 and d6 pawns if he swaps off (they are both weak). So store center away in possible ideas.

Kingside: No targets, nothing to attack, no pieces there. Wont play on the kingside.

Analyse:

We have q-side and center to play on. First thing to do is find a point of attack. There are no real weaknesses on the queenside yet, only squares. In the center there are 2 points of attack - d6 and e6.
    Lets look at how we can attack them:

1. dxe6 fxe6

The e6 pawn is undefended. d6 pawn is attacked but defended once. How can we put pressure on those pawns?

2. Ng5!

a) ...Qd7 3. Ba4 Nc6 4. Nb5
    b) ...Bc8 3. e5 or Nb5

Im not a strong player so I cant say what the best line is or anything. But i pretty sure that the first move is exd6. Hope im right 😕
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 13:25
    ^^ Actaully, I have always wondered if teaching chess actually improved your own game.....

when I used to help classmates I also seemed to get better at the subject - so I wonder if the same is with chess....If so, Perhaps I should start writing out a few thoughts and ideas.
  12. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 13:53
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    ^^ Actaully, I have always wondered if teaching chess actually improved your own game.....

when I used to help classmates I also seemed to get better at the subject - so I wonder if the same is with chess....If so, Perhaps I should start writing out a few thoughts and ideas.
    Teaching chess does not improve your game unless you apply the principles taught therein. For example Tal the player who was good at sacrificing used to watch lessons on TV aimed at beginner/intermediate players.
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 17:28
    Originally posted by Shinidoki

I believe it does. It a refresher course sort of and it makes you clarify your thought so you can teach it to someone else.

I read on Life Master AJ website how you can improve at chess. He had a list and one of them was teach chess to people, learn to play blindfold, give simuls, etc...
  14. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 17:29
    Ok here goes.

[b]Differences / Imbalances

# Blacks queenside pawns have been weakened on the light colors. Possible king ...[text shortened]... at the best line is or anything. But i pretty sure that the first move is exd6. Hope im right 😕[/b]
    Anyone else want to give it a try?
  15. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 20:041 edit
    Ok here goes.

[b]Differences / Imbalances

# Blacks queenside pawns have been weakened on the light colors. Possible king ...[text shortened]... at the best line is or anything. But i pretty sure that the first move is exd6. Hope im right 😕[/b]
    b4 would be a mistake for tactical reasons. 1. b4 Nfxd5 2. exd5 Bxc3
    I think it would be a mistake to try and do anything right away. I would prepare to play b4, or maybe do something else. Thinking about 1. Ne2, the point is after I trade my d for his e pawn that the e6 square becomes weak. It might continue

1. Ne2 b5
    2. dxe6 fxe6
    3. Nf4 Qd7
    4. cxb5 Ng4
    5. Bb3 d5
    6. Ng5

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree