1. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 20:58
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I believe it does. It a refresher course sort of and it makes you clarify your thought so you can teach it to someone else.

I read on Life Master AJ website how you can improve at chess. He had a list and one of them was teach chess to people, learn to play blindfold, give simuls, etc...
    I think you are onto something. A friend of mine (who plays here at RHP and is Very Good) told me he taught a class to kids and said their questions helped his own play enormously. And he was quite good to begin with.
  2. Joined
    24 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 01:08
    One way of getting a grip on planning is to understand the basic goals of the opening you're playing. Here's an example at:
    http://chesscoach1977.blogspot.com/2006/01/chess-understanding-classical-kings.html
    Hope it helps some.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 19:06
    Anyone else? I'll post the solution with the site very soon.

Last chance.
  4. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 19:16
    Anyone else? I'll post the solution with the site very soon.

Last chance.
    I want to see the answer!
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 21:14
    Here the answers along with an extremely good planning method. I intend to give a try and see if I like it. It does require a lot of work though.

http://home.worldonline.dk/kfyhn/VikingChess/RussellBlack/index.html

Read through all 3 articles. It is there, where you will find what you are looking for! The key to chess.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 22:53
    Originally posted by Caro Kann
    I want to see the answer!
    Check my comments on your website forum. I posted them 2 days ago but no response and you are the one who keeps saying please post here 🙂
  7. Joined
    26 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 08:35
    I apologise if I'm overstepping the bounds of new players, but I just wanted to say that this addressed the worst parts of my game. I basically suck, but am trying to learn and everything always falls apart in the planning. I spend most of my time just reacting, the articles say it perfectly. But anyway, thanks.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 10:18
    Originally posted by z00t
    Teaching chess does not improve your game unless you apply the principles taught therein. For example Tal the player who was good at sacrificing used to watch lessons on TV aimed at beginner/intermediate players.
    Teaching has been demonstrated to be the best way to learn. That's what they told me in AmeriCorps anyway.
  9. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 12:39
    Wow. Nice article Rahim!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant believe how good that was. I read it all the way through. That guy should write a book
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 14:14
    Originally posted by st00p1dfac3
    I apologise if I'm overstepping the bounds of new players, but I just wanted to say that this addressed the worst parts of my game. I basically suck, but am trying to learn and everything always falls apart in the planning. I spend most of my time just reacting, the articles say it perfectly. But anyway, thanks.
    When you are at the beginner phase, planning isn't that big. Just make sure you don't blunder a piece away and make decent move and you should be fine.

My planning skills are pretty bad and i'm at 1800 so there is nothing to worry about.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '06 20:26
    Same thing for this one, White to move:

What is the plan?

[fen]r2q1rk1/pb2npbp/1p1ppnp1/2pP4/2P1P3/P1N2N2/1PB2PPP/R1BQR1K1 w - - 0 12[/fen]
    I think the starting move is b4 in preperation for a minority attack and to be able to get a very good post for his knight if the opponent takes the pawn
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 00:32
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I think the starting move is b4 in preperation for a minority attack and to be able to get a very good post for his knight if the opponent takes the pawn
    Check the postings above, the website link is posted there. That's where the solution is along with detailed ideas on planning. A great read.
  13. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 01:04
    I have never thought about planning in such a way, I am still digesting the info from the page, and hopefully it becomes my new planning method, combined with my old. My question is how to adapt the method of planning to use in a blitz game? I have a 30 minute OTB blitz tournament coming up, and need to prepare.
  14. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 01:251 edit
    Originally posted by Xpofer
    I have never thought about planning in such a way, I am still digesting the info from the page, and hopefully it becomes my new planning method, combined with my old. My question is how to adapt the method of planning to use in a blitz game? I have a 30 minute OTB blitz tournament coming up, and need to prepare.
    Same here, I never plan that way either. With me I look at a few things and then pick a move which I think is best in the position, but I'll give this a try and see how it works. Half of the stuff I do already during my normal games.

As for the 30 min games. We have those also and we call them fun games since they don't count much for us. Our rated games are G in 110 min with 30 sec increment. I never got use to the fast game and me 30 min rating is a mere 1545 compared to my real rating of 1852 and then my blitz rating is even worse, I would judge around 1400. I'm not sure what to tell you. Try to know your openings really well so you can blitz them and have more time for the middlegame. I don't think you need much planning when the game is that quick. More important is not to blunder away pieces. Not sure what else to tell you.

OOOOOOOO play some 30 min game before hand and get use to the timer. I went from Yahoo blitz to 30 min and though 30 min was to slow. Then I got use to it and though 110/30 was to slow. Then I go use to it and though 30 min was to fast. Then I started at Rhp and though 110/30 is to fast even though that's at least 2 hours each side!
  15. Joined
    26 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 08:55
    When you are at the beginner phase, planning isn't that big. Just make sure you don't blunder a piece away and make decent move and you should be fine.

My planning skills are pretty bad and i'm at 1800 so there is nothing to worry about.
    it's that blundering bit that i do quite alot, mainly because i seem to have terrible blind spots (even worse when i play as black.) the article just gave me some ways to try to counteract that in a way that made sense to me. so, we'll see if it helps or not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree