1. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Jan '07 00:56
    I've noticed that the state of mind I'm in seems to affect my chess a lot, especially correspondence chess. Normally, when I play chess I look at all of my possible moves, pick the better ones and then look at all of blacks possible moves to those, and then go deeper into lines I think that are most likely. I seem to have pretty good results with this. However, when I'm upset I seem to play way too quickly. I seem to lose my patience, and play at blitz speed. This obviously has a negative effect on my game. I end up moving entirely based on intuition. In general, I'd say 80% of the time when there is only one move I pick intuitively I end up agreeing with that move after further analysis, however the other 20% kills me. For the past few days, I've been dealing with certain problems which I'd rather not discuss, however I have definitely seen a negative impact on my game.

I was just wondering if there have been any studies on how people's mind-state's effect their game.
  2. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    06 Jan '07 01:04
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I've noticed that the state of mind I'm in seems to affect my chess a lot, especially correspondence chess. Normally, when I play chess I look at all of my possible moves, pick the better ones and then look at all of blacks possible moves to those, and then go deeper into lines I think that are most likely. I seem to have pretty good results with this. Howev ...[text shortened]... wondering if there have been any studies on how people's mind-state's effect their game.
    The opponents rating sometimes effects my play. If I am playing someone 1400 or below I assume I will win and tend not to think too much. . . Then I am more prone to blunder.

Have you tried this website "tactical chess server"

http://chess.emrald.net/

State of mind makes a big difference to performance when solving problems on this site.

Very good tool for improving tactical thinking.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Jan '07 01:05
    Thanks for the site!
  4. Joined
    06 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Jan '07 01:361 edit
    I haven't played chess in quite a while but I've still managed to keep a close eye on what my opponents do. And I calm myself to a mood of thought and comprehension. Basically, I examine, and move.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree