Must one say 'Check'?

Must one say 'Check'?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SS

Moves
03 Aug 07

z

Moves
03 Aug 07

The post that was quoted here has been removed
There are 500 players on ICC (mostly rude schoolboys) compared to 8,000 players on Playchess daily. Now those school boys give rude a new meaning. On playchess such behaviour is reported to the sysops and they can be kicked out.

SS

Moves
03 Aug 07
1 edit

MR

Moves
03 Aug 07
2 edits

Originally posted by techsouth
According to the rules of chess, he would get the win regardless of whether he sees that he has you in mate. So a timely post-mortum would have probably resulted in a dispute that he would have won.
Interesting point, I hadn't thought of it in that way. You might be right, I have no idea. I'll check the rule book and ask my TD friends their opinions next time I see them. I wonder if there's some point at which the decision can't be reversed? After the results have been posted?

Edit - Although knowing this is just a curiosity for me. If I was mated and my opponent didn't immediately say anything, at the least I'd probably refrain from making a quick move. And I might even decide to just announce the mate against myself and say good game. Yeah, I know, I'm beyond help, lol.

t

Garner, NC

Moves
03 Aug 07

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Interesting point, I hadn't thought of it in that way. You might be right, I have no idea. I'll check the rule book and ask my TD friends their opinions next time I see them. I wonder if there's some point at which the decision can't be reversed? After the results have been posted?

Edit - Although knowing this is just a curiosity for me. If I was mated a ...[text shortened]... t announce the mate against myself and say good game. Yeah, I know, I'm beyond help, lol.
I read this in an example section I think in my official uscf rulebook from about 1977.

In the case, a person was in what appeared to be a hopeless situation, made a move out of dispair and shortly afterwards resigned. After closely looking at the board it was realized the move had put his opponent in checkmate. The ruling was that he wins with the checkmate, because anything done after putting your opponent in checkmate is irrelevant, including saying "I resign".

I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out by now on your game, but I don't know when exactly that is. Possibly after posting results or after next round pairings. If you do find the exact point that reversals are not allowed, I'd be interested too.

MR

Moves
04 Aug 07
1 edit

I found a thread on the USCF forums that discusses the same basic question. There is a clear consensus that player A, who delivers the mate but doesn't realize it, has indeed won the game, even if play continues. (One poster to the thread disagreed, but I think his reasoning is faulty.)

Concerning when a decision would cease being reversible, there were a few different opinions. The one that seemed to make more sense to me is that if the error was discovered before the next round's pairing, the result would be reversed for both tournament and rating purposes. And if the error was discovered after the next round's pairing, the tournament result would be allowed to stand, but the result would be reversed for rating purposes. Regarding this reversal issue, it seems that the TD has some lattitude on how to handle the tournament result aspect of the problem.

http://www.uschess.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1565

Edit - P.S. And note that in the USCF thread, one of the posters giving opinions is Tim Just, who is a co-editor of the current edition of the rule book!