Must one say 'Check'?

Must one say 'Check'?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z

Moves
02 Aug 07

In over the board tournament Chess, is it mandatory to say 'Check' when checking your oponent?

NL

Moves
02 Aug 07

Originally posted by znsho
In over the board tournament Chess, is it mandatory to say 'Check' when checking your oponent?
No, and few players at higher levels bother.

SS

Moves
02 Aug 07

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
02 Aug 07

If your opponent doesn't know he is in check he shouldn't be playing the game.

MR

Moves
02 Aug 07

In my club chess-playing experience (I never played scholastic chess), it's seldom announced in rated games. Experienced players know when they are in check and don't need to be told this. Some experienced players will even be insulted if the opponent announces check. It doesn't bother me, and I never say anything when my opponent says check. Usually, people who announce check are well-meaning beginners who don't know that they're not supposed to do it.

About the only time that I'd consider announcing check would be if I were playing a beginner who I thought would have a hard time determining when he was in check. And of course, if your opponent is in check and starts to move a piece that doesn't get him out of check, then you have no choice but to quietly mention that he's in check.

And yes, in more informal, friendly games, announcing check could be considered part of the "friendly banter", so it's less of a concern in those cases.

STS

Moves
02 Aug 07

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Indeed, in a tournament you don't say check, then hope your opponent doesn't see it, so after frittering away time he makes an illegal move and you can freak him out by telling him his king's threatened, making him think all over and use more clock time.
it's an old indian trick

SS

Moves
02 Aug 07

MR

Moves
02 Aug 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
You might have a point, but here's a counter point. Everyone was once a beginner, and beginners often haven't developed the board vision to see checks most of the time. Rather than discouraging beginners from entering tournaments, I'm sure most tournament directors prefer to welcome beginners with open arms, even if they don't have good board vision yet. Beginners are often nervous and apprehensive about entering tournaments for the first time, and I don't think it's beneficial to make it harder on them. Better to make it a positive experience so they'll enter more tournaments later on. And I don't think most players mind having the beginners in the tournament, as long as they're well-behaved and not acting obnoxiously.

T
Chessplaya

NY

Moves
02 Aug 07

In USCF rules if you make an illegal move with your King in a blitz game you can simply capture the opponent's King so saying check would be a blunder really.

DS

Moves
02 Aug 07

I would deliberately say check to wind up my opponent - especially if I was losing. 😕

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
02 Aug 07

Originally posted by Mad Rook
You might have a point, but here's a counter point. Everyone was once a beginner, and beginners often haven't developed the board vision to see checks most of the time. Rather than discouraging beginners from entering tournaments, I'm sure most tournament directors prefer to welcome beginners with open arms, even if they don't have good board vision yet. Be ...[text shortened]... eginners in the tournament, as long as they're well-behaved and not acting obnoxiously.
They generally won't be in the same section of the tournament as me.

If, however, I play beginners of course I point these things out to them plus their clock and I even disregard touch move at times (I tell them they should move but don't enforce it). As you say the intention is to encourage them to play and I know that I can play like a patzer and still win so these concessions cost me nothing.

MR

Moves
02 Aug 07

Originally posted by TheQuinnOfAMS
In USCF rules if you make an illegal move with your King in a blitz game you can simply capture the opponent's King so saying check would be a blunder really.
Yep, you're right, blitz games only. For longer USCF time controls, the best penalty that can be extracted is getting two minutes added to your clock, only if the time control is sudden death, and only if your opponent hits his clock after making the illegal move.

z

Moves
02 Aug 07

In a tournament, if the player does not say Check and the oponent does not notice the check, can the player TAKE the K and win? Or, MUST the player who gave the check inform the oponent of his / her 'illegal' move? If so, surely there must be some kind of penalty (e.g. time) for the oponent?

It takes time to point out the error, most probably whilst the clock has been changed, AND, failing to move out of check is disruptive to the player giving the check.

STS

Moves
02 Aug 07
1 edit

In a tournament, if the player does not say Check and the oponent does not notice the check, can the player TAKE the K and win? Or, MUST the player who gave the check inform the oponent of his / her 'illegal' move? If so, surely there must be some kind of penalty (e.g. time) for the oponent?

It takes time to point out the error, most probably whilst the cl ...[text shortened]... been changed, AND, failing to move out of check is disruptive to the player giving the check.
1. NO
2. YES
3. There's no time penalty for the person in check other than what he wasted while thinking, not noticing he was in check.

When the player makes an illegal move you immediately punch your clock button and start his time, then inform him.

MR

Moves
02 Aug 07

It takes time to point out the error, most probably whilst the cl ...[text shortened]... been changed, AND, failing to move out of check is disruptive to the player giving the check.
I could quote the USCF rules, but I suspect you probably play under slightly different rules. I was just wondering, does the UK play under unmodified FIDE rules, or does the UK have it's own national rules?