Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 02 Aug '06 23:37 / 1 edit
    Now that I'm an ICC member, I have an even more enjoyable chess experience. One of the coolest benefits is playing against some of the best players in the world of chess, FMs, IMs, and GMs.

    Anyway, I'm really proud that my first simul game (45 20) against FM Diego Mussanti turned out to be a draw. I'm even more pleased that I had a solid advantage almost the entire game and made no big mistakes. Although, I think I did make 3 inaccurate moves which combined secured me the draw instead of the win. Part of the reason for this is my skill, but part of it was psychological too. Sometimes, riskier moves were best but I passed them up because I was afraid I would drown in the complexity while my opponent would thrive with his superior skills.

    The game was a Hyper-Accelerated Dragon with early simplifications (queen andtwo minor pieces). However, don't let that make you think the game was boring. Does this look boring?

    (White to move)

    Here's the game:

    [Event "ICC 45 20 u"]
    [Site "Internet Chess Club"]
    [Date "2006.08.02"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "clalauquen"]
    [Black "ExpertNewbie"]
    [Result "1/2-1/2"]
    [ICCResult "Game drawn by mutual agreement"]
    [WhiteElo "2456"]
    [BlackElo "1546"]
    [Opening "Sicilian: Hungarian variation"]
    [ECO "B27"]
    [NIC "SI.43"]
    [Time "18:11:33"]
    [TimeControl "2700+20"]

    1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 g6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Bg7 5. Be3 Nf6 6. Nc3 O-O 7. Bc4 Nc6
    8. f3 Qb6 9. Qd2 Nxd4 10. Bxd4 Nxe4 11. Bxb6 Nxd2 12. Kxd2 axb6 13. Rab1 e6
    14. Bb3 d5 15. f4 Bd7 16. g3 Rfc8 17. Rhe1 b5 18. Ne2 b4 19. Nc1 Bb5 20. Nd3
    Bxd3 21. Kxd3 b5 22. Re2 Rc4 23. Bxc4 bxc4+ 24. Ke3 Rxa2 25. b3 d4+ 26. Kf3
    d3 {Game drawn by mutual agreement} 1/2-1/2

    Please tell me what you think. Suggestions are really appreciated. 🙂
  2. 04 Aug '06 22:54
    Don't like even exciting draws? How about a win? This is my first win against an IM. It happened just about 10 minutes ago in a simul with about 30 people. This, you have to see! It's probably my best game!

    [Event "ICC 45 15 u"]
    [Site "Internet Chess Club"]
    [Date "2006.08.04"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "ExpertNewbie"]
    [Black "MaestroASK"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ICCResult "Black checkmated"]
    [WhiteElo "1496"]
    [BlackElo "2421"]
    [Opening "Scotch opening"]
    [ECO "C44"]
    [NIC "VO.04"]
    [Time "16:55:47"]
    [TimeControl "2700+15"]

    1. e4 Nc6 2. d4 e5 3. Nf3 d6 4. d5 Nb8 5. c4 Be7 6. Be2 f5 7. Nc3 Nf6 8.
    exf5 Bxf5 9. O-O O-O 10. Nh4 Bc8 11. Bd3 g6 12. Bh6 Rf7 13. Nxg6 hxg6 14.
    Bxg6 Rg7 15. Bxg7 Kxg7 16. Bd3 Qh8 17. Be2 Na6 18. f4 exf4 19. Rxf4 Nc5 20.
    Qd4 Qh6 21. Raf1 Bd7 22. Rh4 Qg6 23. Bh5 Qg5 24. Re1 Bd8 25. Re3 Kf8 26. Bd1
    Bf5 27. Rg3 Qc1 28. Rf4 Kf7 29. Rxf5 Nd7 30. Qg4 Ke8 31. Qg6+ Ke7 32. Rh3
    Qd2 33. Rh7+ Nxh7 34. Qe6# {Black checkmated} 1-0

    MATE!!!

    I'm also very interested in suggestions and improvements. 🙂
  3. 04 Aug '06 23:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Now that I'm an ICC member, I have an even more enjoyable chess experience. One of the coolest benefits is playing against some of the best players in the world of chess, FMs, IMs, and GMs.

    Anyway, I'm really proud that my first simul game (45 20) against FM Diego Mussanti turned out to be a draw. I'm even more pleased that I had a solid advantage alm ell me what you think. Suggestions are really appreciated. 🙂
    Very impressive! I love the tactic with the Nxd4 and the follow up moves.

    22...Rc4

    Why did you play that?
  4. 04 Aug '06 23:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Don't like even exciting draws? How about a win? This is my first win against an IM. It happened just about 10 minutes ago in a simul with about 30 people. This, you have to see! It's probably my best game!

    [Event "ICC 45 15 u"]
    [Site "Internet Chess Club"]
    [Date "2006.08.04"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "ExpertNewbie"]
    [Black "MaestroASK"]
    [Result "1-0"]

    I'm also very interested in suggestions and improvements. 🙂
    Black's play was horrible!!
  5. 06 Aug '06 03:38
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Very impressive! I love the tactic with the Nxd4 and the follow up moves.

    22...Rc4

    Why did you play that?
    Well, honestly, I did it more for flair than a solid reason. I knew I would have at least equality afterwards and did not think I would win anyway. I thought I should at least draw in style. 😉
  6. 06 Aug '06 03:43
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Well, honestly, I did it more for flair than a solid reason. I knew I would have at least equality afterwards and did not think I would win anyway. I thought I should at least draw in style. 😉
    Ya, I like sacing my pieces in a drawn endgame if I can, like K+B+P vs K+B and I just sac my bishop for the pawn or if I have K+B+N etc...

    Some people online will always decline draws and instead of wasting time I take the quicker way out but of course this master would never do something like that.
  7. 06 Aug '06 07:15
    "Tell me, does this game look boring?"

    That game is about as interesting as your mom in bed
  8. 06 Aug '06 07:19
    *stifles a chuckle* er...xpointalim...wtf?!
  9. 06 Aug '06 10:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by xpointalim
    "Tell me, does this game look boring?"

    That game is about as interesting as your mom in bed
    Thanks for the compliment.

    BTW: Who are you quoting?
  10. 06 Aug '06 11:00
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Don't like even exciting draws? How about a win? This is my first win against an IM. It happened just about 10 minutes ago in a simul with about 30 people. This, you have to see! It's probably my best game!

    [Event "ICC 45 15 u"]
    [Site "Internet Chess Club"]
    [Date "2006.08.04"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "ExpertNewbie"]
    [Black "MaestroASK"]
    [Result "1-0"] ...[text shortened]...

    I'm also very interested in suggestions and improvements. 🙂
    4.d5 Nb8?

    Black spends tempo to un-develop a Knight??

    Nce7 seems better to me.

    10. Nh4 Bc8?

    Again, I'm confused, surely Bd7 is best, giving the bishop 2 diagonels to control.

    24. Re1 Bd8?

    Another move which I don't understand....It traps The Rook..

    why Not Kf8?
  11. 07 Aug '06 04:40
    Welcome, I did believe it was an interesting game.
  12. Standard member Grandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    07 Aug '06 04:44
    sorry to but in on your post, but as long as your showing wins against titled players on ICC, heres my game against an WGM
    [Event "ICC 5 0"]
    [Site "Internet Chess Club"]
    [Date "2006.08.04"]
    [Round "-"]
    [White "GrandMouster"]
    [Black "geran"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ICCResult "Black forfeits on time"]
    [WhiteElo "1709"]
    [BlackElo "1850"]
    [Opening "Modern defense"]
    [ECO "A40"]
    [NIC "QO.17"]
    [Time "20:46:44"]
    [TimeControl "300+0"]

    1. d4 g6 2. Nf3 Bg7 3. Bg5 d6 4. Nbd2 h6 5. Bh4 c5 6. c3 cxd4 7. cxd4
    Qb6 8.
    Nb3 a5 9. Rc1 Nc6 10. a4 Bf5 11. e3 Nf6 12. Bb5 O-O 13. O-O Nb4 14. Re1
    Rac8
    15. Rxc8 Rxc8 16. Re2 Bg4 17. Nbd2 Rc2 18. Nc4 Rxc4 19. Bxc4 Bxf3 20.
    gxf3
    Qc6 21. Bb5 Qxf3 22. Rd2 Qf5 23. Bg3 Ne4 24. Re2 h5 25. h4 Qh3 26. Qf1
    Qf5
    27. Qg2 Bf6 28. f3 Nxg3 29. Qxg3 e5 30. e4 Qc8 31. d5 Qd8 32. Rh2 Qb6+
    33.
    Qf2 Qc7 34. f4 Qc1+ 35. Kg2 exf4 36. Rh1 Qe3 37. Qxe3 fxe3 38. Rc1 Bxh4
    39.
    Kf3 Bg5 40. Rc8+ Kg7 41. Rc7 h4 42. Be2 h3 43. Kg3 b6 44. Rd7 Bf4+ 45.
    Kxh3
    Be5 46. Kg2 Bxb2 47. Kf3 Bd4 48. Re7 g5 49. Rd7 Kf6 50. Rxd6+
    {Black forfeits on time}
    1-0
  13. Standard member Natacha
    drs Hoogduyn/Burkov
    07 Aug '06 10:02
    Has he offer you a draw? He was in a generous mood i guess.

    Let us finish this game and i show you that white wins.

    Natacha
  14. 07 Aug '06 11:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Now that I'm an ICC member, I have an even more enjoyable chess experience. One of the coolest benefits is playing against some of the best players in the world of chess, FMs, IMs, and GMs.

    Anyway, I'm really proud that my first simul game (45 20) against FM Diego Mussanti turned out to be a draw. I'm even more pleased that I had a solid advantage alm ell me what you think. Suggestions are really appreciated. 🙂
    WGMs, IM, FMs.........well you probably already know this, but Tebb beat Kasparov in a simul, now thats class 😛
  15. Standard member Grandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    07 Aug '06 16:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    WGMs, IM, FMs.........well you probably already know this, but Tebb beat Kasparov in a simul, now thats class 😛
    I played Kaspy in a simul. I almost beat him, but he ducked when i swung that bat at him......😀