Need Help Getting to 1600 Rating

Need Help Getting to 1600 Rating

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by tomtom232
1.tomtom232 1223
2.I am trying to get good at chess becaues I want to be a grandmaster as fast as I can even though it will be a while
3.6 and about three minutes a move
4.yes but I already know most of the stuff and I think I should be over 1400 but I play higher rated players and underestimate some lower rated players

Game 2309860
Game 2307915
Game 2317903
Game 2271051
Game 2297778
Grandmasters an insane goal, I wouldn't expect it if I were you....And unless you're mid 1300's it's unfair to think that you should be 1400...

t

Moves
16 Aug 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Grandmasters an insane goal, I wouldn't expect it if I were you....And unless you're mid 1300's it's unfair to think that you should be 1400...
yes it is an insane goal but I am willing to work hard to get there and I was mid 1300's when I lost to a high 1500 guy and then lost to a guy many times in a row who later became 1600 rated.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
16 Aug 06
2 edits

yes it is an insane goal but I am willing to work hard to get there and I was mid 1300's when I lost to a high 1500 guy and then lost to a guy many times in a row who later became 1600 rated.
reality check: you're 1200 right now. -thinking otherwise will not get you one bit closer to your goal. blood, sweat and tears will. it takes a lot of work to get any better. - I train around 2-4 hours a day, not including playing. most who progress have something similar going on. those who waste their time thinking they're better than their rating shows, don't seem to get any better.

it's good to have goals, but probably better if they're not insane. set yourself somewhat reasonable goals, like 1500 by the end of the year. and work hard to get there, otherwise it won't happen. don't set too easy goals, those gives you excuses to slack.

when you reach your goals, set new ones. monitor your progress, keep a diary of some kind, it helps a lot with motivation. don't get discouraged if you have setbacks, we all get those. just pull your head down and work some more.

t

Moves
16 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by wormwood
reality check: you're 1200 right now. -thinking otherwise will not get you one bit closer to your goal. blood, sweat and tears will. it takes a lot of work to get any better. - I train around 2-4 hours a day, not including playing. most who progress have something similar going on. those who waste their time thinking they're better than their rating shows, don't seem to get any better.
I study a lot and I will show you that I am much better than my rating shows. And if you wish to find out for yourself I will resign a game right now and challenge you and then proceed to beat you.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
16 Aug 06

I study a lot and I will show you that I am much better than my rating shows. And if you wish to find out for yourself I will resign a game right now and challenge you and then proceed to beat you.
my rating limit is at 1700, but if you get to 1500+ I'll give you a game.

t

Moves
16 Aug 06

Originally posted by wormwood
my rating limit is at 1700, but if you get to 1500+ I'll give you a game.
deal

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
16 Aug 06

Originally posted by RahimK
When you post you go to gameid at the bottom under insert smiley and enter the game # into there.

Game 2298004
Game 2304812
Game 2283419
Game 2283394
Game 2264145
First game, I don't think you played the opening properly. Your pieces were not on the right squares and development wasn't great and that led to you lose basically.

Second game, Bad development. The sicilian is hard to play and you have to know what your are doing. I can never seem to get my pieces out fast enough when I am playing the sicilian as black.

Third game, Development again.

Fourth game, Blunder and you seem very willing to trade your pieces not just in this game but the other ones to for no strategic reason.

Fifth game, Blunder and trading pieces again. It seem you prefer knights over bishops? Bishop are very powerful when they have room to operate and better then knights in most positions. Especailly when you have 2 bishops.

Your games look promising, you need work on tactics, opening and positional things.

t

Moves
16 Aug 06
1 edit

First game, I don't think you played the opening properly. Your pieces were not on the right squares and development wasn't great and that led to you lose basically.

Second game, Bad development. The sicilian is hard to play and you have to know what your are doing. I can never seem to get my pieces out fast enough when I am playing the sicilian as black. ...[text shortened]... shops.

Your games look promising, you need work on tactics, opening and positional things.
I go to the seattle chess club and most of the really good players say that the bishop or knight are not stronger or weaker than the other it is they position the are in. If it is an open position the knights can still be better than the two bishops. check out this game for proof.

Game 2349879

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
16 Aug 06

I go to the seattle chess club and most of the really good players say that the bishop or knight are not stronger or weaker than the other it is they position the are in. If it is an open position the knights can still be better than the two bishops. check out this game for proof.

Game 2349879
Yes it depends on the position but generally bishops are a bit better.

But 2 bishops are very powerful when they work properly.

t

Moves
16 Aug 06

Yes it depends on the position but generally bishops are a bit better.

But 2 bishops are very powerful when they work properly.
I can agree with that but I usually don't think of it that way because it can screw with my judgement.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
16 Aug 06

I can agree with that but I usually don't think of it that way because it can screw with my judgement.
Good you agree. Now lets move on to other matters.

k

washington

Moves
16 Aug 06

tom tom is a very good player his rating is much lower than it should be. i've played him some games and hes at least a high 1400 player and he could even be a low 1500 player. i played him and he improves rapidly.

t

Moves
16 Aug 06

thanks kmac27. and Rahimk are you going to accept my application for being tutored

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
16 Aug 06

thanks kmac27. and Rahimk are you going to accept my application for being tutored
There are no applications. Everyone is welcomed. I'll will finish going through people games when I have time and then I will come up with a study plan for all of you. Might be a week though, busy at work right now.

k

washington

Moves
16 Aug 06

knights working together can be as good as bishops working together. but you'll see 2 bishops working together better than 2 knights most of the time. if you go in the endgame with 2 bishops vs a knight and a bishop your as happy as a clam.