Need Help Getting to 1600 Rating

Need Help Getting to 1600 Rating

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
23 Aug 06

Originally posted by RahimK
Going 2.5 times...

If no one does this i'm not going further. Waste of my time to help people when they won't help themselves.

I already listed 2 patterns. It not hard, look at my comments about the games and tell me the other patterns you see or common themes between the loses.
1.Development problems
2.Improper Planning, or no plan at all!
3.Piece coordination
4.Not recognizing threats (you mentioned it)
5.Tactics, no surprises 😛

London

Moves
23 Aug 06

Could you bump the "need help getting to 1400 thread" as I'm not sure of the easiest way to find it. Thanks

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
24 Aug 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
1.Development problems
3.Piece coordination
Not knowing the opening you play well enough.

m
The Vorlon

Papillion, Nebraska

Moves
24 Aug 06

So you guys who posted you wanted help and sumbitted 5 games each.

Do you guys see a link between all your games and the common mistakes? I pointed out the themes for each lose.

Anyone see a pattern?
Patterns:
Not examining forcing moves, my own or opponent's.
Inaccurate play of opening.
Letting the opponent's pieces occupy good squares by failing to guard them pawns.
Early sac of a pawn without compensation.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
25 Aug 06
1 edit

1.Development problems
3.Piece coordination
Okay guys, moving on now to step 2. How do you fix 1, 2, 3?

I want to hear your ideas.

After you guys get this, we can move on to step 3 and pretty soon you will be on your way to 1600+. Same thing basically applies to getting to 1800 on here.

m
The Vorlon

Papillion, Nebraska

Moves
25 Aug 06

Development problems:
1 In the opening don't move a piece more than once unless an opportunity arises or it comes under a threat.

2 Premature attack with queen to the detriment of other pieces that should be developed first.

3 Too many pawn moves before development is done.

4 Failure to develop rook by castling.

5 Bishops developed before knights.

t

Moves
25 Aug 06
1 edit

Okay guys, moving on now to step 2. How do you fix 1, 2, 3?

I want to hear your ideas.

After you guys get this, we can move on to step 3 and pretty soon you will be on your way to 1600+. Same thing basically applies to getting to 1800 on here.
you can fix one, two, and three by developing with a plan that way you develope, you have a plan and if you have a plan worth any merit at all than your pieces should be coordinated.

z

Moves
25 Aug 06

1.Development problems
3.Piece coordination
When you look at a position, answer 2 questions...
What is/are whites plan(s)?
What is/are blacks plan(s)?

When looking for plans, the first thing to notice are forcing moves, threatened pieces a loose king and unsupported pieces. This will take care of issues 4 & 5. From there, consider all the positional nuances of the position. If you cannot find a plan you like and there are no tactics for either side, figure out which piece of yours is worst and how you can improve it.

Once you have done that for both sides, figure out who is faster. If your opponents plan is faster, decide if it must be countered and adjust your plan accordingly (this may involve scrapping the plan entierly).

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
25 Aug 06

Nice work. I heard some good answers.

To answer 1,2,3 you have to know your opening. Know which plans work, where the pieces go, the move order etc...

I mentioned this before already in my 1400 thread but from the games seen I don't think many of you followed that advice.

Use an opening database. Using them will give you a better position and your pieces will be in the right place, co-ordinated, good development etc... In lots of the games I've seen, I saw development problems and wrong opening moves been played. Some of them cost you guys the game.

Also use a database. Go through some of the similar games to your game and see what those players do. You can pick up ideas and plans from those games and use them in your game.

Make sense to everyone?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
30 Aug 06

You guys at 1600 yet?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
30 Aug 06

You guys at 1600 yet?
not anymore. 😞 I miss it. everything was better back then...

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
30 Aug 06

Okay so to answer 1,2,3 I posted the advice already.

Number 4. Not seeing the threat, etc...

Can't help you there. Make a mini checklist for yourself. If you don't fix this problem then you will never progress.

5.Tactics

Do at least 5 tactic puzzles everyday. Do them slowly in your head and take no more then 5 minutes. After that if you still don't get it, look at the solution, figure out why you didn't get it and then do it again couple of days after. The tactic puzzles should include simple combinations, tactics and not just mate puzzles.

Here are 1001 free ones. I am currently doing these.

http://chessville.com/downloads/downloads_tactical_exercises.htm

Open them up in a chess program and then solve then and use your chess program to find the answers and compare the solution.

Any questions so far?

Planning will be the next topic.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
02 Sep 06

Checkpoint: What are your guys ratings now? Getting close to 1600?

t

Moves
02 Sep 06

Checkpoint: What are your guys ratings now? Getting close to 1600?
I was doing well when I was following your advice but have started losing again because I am rushing my moves.

J

back in business

Moves
02 Sep 06

Originally posted by wormwood
not anymore. 😞 I miss it. everything was better back then...
when are you starting to play OTB? like national tournaments? or are you playing already?