1. Joined
    22 Dec '07
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 02:25
    To all those who didnt like me posting my thread about a chess site with beautiful model photography in this section of the forum I apologize. I really didnt know where else to put it - but anyway.

Here is a chess question - thank you in advance to all those who weigh in with their opinion.

In actuality, this is a question about buying a chess set. I have been a hobby player for a long time and I have recently started playing more chess - thanks largely to Red Hot Pawn. I am learning all the time and I have found that playing chess is a much healthier alternative to online poker (duh right? lol). Healthier for my bankroll for sure and i still get the rush of competition and strategy that I crave.

I would like to start having chess parties at my house. I have had these a few times in the past and most people bring chess set with them. I am interested in buying a really nice unique board/set to use. I have looked around at a lot of the sets online and I have seen everything from the giant sized lawn sets to $800 chess boards that were crafted from cocoa leaves, fish skin or mussel shells (can be viewed at www.thechesspiece.com if you want to see them - they are gorgeous!).

I am leaning toward a 16" baord and a set that is made from marble with a king that is 3 1/4" or slightly larger. I am willing to pay up to $250. Does anyone have any suggestions about a manufacturer or store they would recommend or any advice about buying the best chess board for my money. Thanks again and good luck on the boards.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 07:011 edit
    Originally posted by million35
    To all those who didnt like me posting my thread about a chess site with beautiful model photography in this section of the forum I apologize. I really didnt know where else to put it - but anyway.

Here is a chess question - thank you in advance to all those who weigh in with their opinion.

In actuality, this is a question about buying a chess set. ice about buying the best chess board for my money. Thanks again and good luck on the boards.
    Thanks for the link. The "Matt" [I think they mean matte?!] Chess set caught my eye. I've acquired quite a collection of sets. Good thing they are out of stock or there might be yet another chess set taking up space in the closet!

The Novelle Bleu set was almost perfect - until I saw the scrawny, lizardly Knight! Oh well. What can I say? I'm really picky about my Knights.

Edit: Some of my nicer sets have come from here:

http://houseofstaunton.com/
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 11:14

In actuality, this is a question about buying a chess set. ...[text shortened]... ice about buying the best chess board for my money. Thanks again and good luck on the boards.
    No serious chess player would even think of such a set

Get a Staunton design

Triple weighted wooden pieces at about 100 mm king size is ideal. For this you need 55 mm squares on a wooden board. Except to pay £200 to £500 for a good quality set and board.

If you don't want to spend this amount of money you can get bargain plastic pieces on a plastic roll up board for £10 to £20 (bulk discounts usually available for clubs) but still ensure you get a Staunton design and a board / piece size as close to the above as possible.

In the UK the BCM has a got on-line shop. I am sure you can google a decent one in US.

Ditch the idea of the gimicks.
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 14:22
    I just buy double or triple weighted plastic sets and vinyl boards. http://www.wholesalechess.com/ has always given me the best prices but there are tons of different places to look, especially for a nicer set.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 14:33
    Personally I am most comfortable when playing on a plastic set. Not a really cheap one, but one sold at places such as the London Chess Centre, maybe £8 tops for the set plus a pound for the vinyl board. In the UK it is so unusual to play serious chess on anything else that even the weakest club player would complain if asked to play a game using a wooden set.

Having said that, I did once play on the set used by Kasparov and Short in their World Championship match - I sneaked onto the stage once the players, cameras and audience had left and played a few blitz games with a friend of mine. It was a nice enough set, but I still prefer plastic!
  6. back in business
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 17:47
    Anyone who pays $800 for a chess set needs to have his head examined. There are many places on the internet to get a good "cheapo" chess set without breaking the bank.
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 21:10
    Originally posted by ludz
    Anyone who pays $800 for a chess set needs to have his head examined. There are many places on the internet to get a good "cheapo" chess set without breaking the bank.
    www.chessusa.com has a good selection as well. I agree with the previous posts that you should stick with a staunton set. I think I paid about 400-500 bucks for mine when they had a sale.
    Make sure the board you get is properly sized. I'm not sure a 16 inch board is large enough for the size pieces you want. There are guides around for proper sizing.
    Another positive thing about getting a decent chess set is that it doubles as a nice attractive decoration when not being used.
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 23:22
    What??? You paid money for your chess set? I think you need to have YOUR head examined. I just scrounged up some scrap black and white paper, drew out a chess board, then cut out some paper black and white chess pieces! Didn't cost me nuthin'. 😛
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 23:25
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    What??? You paid money for your chess set? I think you need to have YOUR head examined. I just scrounged up some scrap black and white paper, drew out a chess board, then cut out some paper black and white chess pieces! Didn't cost me nuthin'. 😛
    Yes, but your way takes more time 😛
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 23:38
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Yes, but your way takes more time 😛
    Nah, I cut the pieces out REAL fast!
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '08 23:52
    OK, this won't be near as much fun, but now for a serious answer. It just depends on his priorities. If he just wants a functional set and board, then yeah, he doesn't have to spend much on a vinyl rollup board and a plastic set. But it sounds to me like he's looking for something more decorative or visually pleasing that will make an impression on his guests. If that's your goal, you can end up spending quite a bit of money on a chess set. If someone has the discretionary income to pay $800 or $1,000 on a chess set, and if he and his guests derive enjoyment from playing with the set, who are we to say that he needs to have his head examined? People buy expensive cars and paintings all the time, and I don't see them being criticized en masse. Why should chess sets be any different? I say, whatever floats your boat!
  12. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 00:10
    In actuality, this is a question about buying a chess set [blah blah blah...] Does anyone have any suggestions about a manufacturer or store they would recommend or any advice about buying the best chess board for my money. Thanks again and good luck on the boards.
    my suggestion is this site that sells chess sets including pictures of beautiful n' naked models at www.beautifulmodelsinchesssets.com

cheers
  13. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 00:25
    In general, I agree with Dragon Fire's advice.

I've never really been a fan of marble or glass pieces. I'd be too afraid of dropping a piece and having it break or chip. Not to mention the problem with glare from the board/pieces.

The only slightly different idea that I have with DF's post is that, while a regulation tournament sized board is certainly fine, I see nothing wrong with getting a slightly smaller board for home use if space is at a premium. Just be sure that you size the pieces to the board, and realize that you won't be able to use the smaller board in a rated tournament.
  14. London
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 08:00

In actuality, this is a question about buying a chess set. ...[text shortened]... ice about buying the best chess board for my money. Thanks again and good luck on the boards.
    A really cool idea for a chess party...or chess barbecue is to hook up a projector to your PC and project something like ICC or Playchess.com onto a large screen...I used a sheet in my garden for the screen...then you can play some live online consultations games (after agreeing with op!) where everyone gets to chip...quite a laugh doing consultation blitz after a few beers!
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 08:02
    Originally posted by Mahout
    A really cool idea for a chess party...or chess barbecue is to hook up a projector to your PC and project something like ICC or Playchess.com onto a large screen...I used a sheet in my garden for the screen...then you can play some live online consultations games (after agreeing with op!) where everyone gets to chip...quite a laugh doing consultation blitz after a few beers!
    It would be like The Price is Right, except in this case people would be shouting chess moves not numbers. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree