1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 02:33
    This is a game I just finished, and the result amazed me. I was outplayed and messed up the opening, ending up with two pieces for my lost queen. I mentally resigned myself to a lost position, and decided to keep playing until I was squeezed and had no play left.

Because I was clearly worse, I did not spend much time on the game, and generally tried to put my pieces on good squares, make small threats, and get my rooks as active as possible without dropping any more material.

I had gotten my pieces to (probably) their best possible squares, and I thought I might have some cheapo draw by repetition possibilities, when my opponent resigns! He saw a mate or big material loss, but I hadn't even looked hard enough at it to know.

The sad part is that if he had offered me a draw, I would have accepted immediately and patted myself on the back for a defense well done😞

I think it's a good example of why we should play as long as there is activity- you just never know!

2. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 03:05
    Just off hand doubling rooks on the 2nd looks good, except it gives up the back rank for annoying Queen checks, perhaps Nxh3 and Rh2# were feared.

No one ever won a game by resigning
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 04:28
    I feel stupid asking this, but...

Can anyone explain why white resigned the position?
  4. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 05:08
    I kinda think that if black doubles his pleasure {along the seventh rank} he will checkmate white.

White cannot prevent this via Rc1 since black could trade a rook then take on h3 threatening ...Rh2mate.

So white could also try Rb1 but I assume ...Ra2 would be a good response to that.

So it seems like black maybe should have played ...Ra2 instead of ...Rb2.

White I assume is losing but I would play on simply because black didn`t play ...Ra2
  5. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 09:21
    Originally posted by National Master Dale
    I kinda think that if black doubles his pleasure {along the seventh rank} he will checkmate white.

White cannot prevent this via Rc1 since black could trade a rook then take on h3 threatening ...Rh2mate.

So white could also try Rb1 but I assume ...Ra2 would be a good response to that.

So it seems like black maybe should have played ...R ...[text shortened]... ...Rb2.

White I assume is losing but I would play on simply because black didn`t play ...Ra2
    I think Rb2 is just as good as Ra2. Here is one variation I made after your 1.Rb1:

If 3.Kg3, then it has a nice finish:

My conclusion is that white did well to resign, there is not much he can do to prevent the doubling of the rooks, and the mate.
    I think white became complacent when he won the queen. One move I really didn't understand was 24.Rab1, why not just move the rook to c1 and prevent this whole attack? He should just have stayed cool, improved his pieces, trade of if possible, and then show the power of his material.
  6. Joined
    14 Aug '08
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 11:32
    There is a fine balance between resigning too early and giving your opponent some respect. In this game I felt Paul was playing well, had got into a winning position and deserved the win and, even though there were still may variations, I didn't see any that were good for white. My decision was also probably (wrongly) influenced by work as I was having to try and do two things at once which is never a good idea (not for me anyway!)

Someone suggested why I played Rb1 - perhaps a mistake, but I was concerned about the attack on my b3 pawn and resulting pressure of losing it, particulaly when Black can position his knight on c5.
  7. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 12:59
    Originally posted by Palo77
    There is a fine balance between resigning too early and giving your opponent some respect. In this game I felt Paul was playing well, had got into a winning position and deserved the win and, even though there were still may variations, I didn't see any that were good for white. My decision was also probably (wrongly) influenced by work as I was having to tr ...[text shortened]... pawn and resulting pressure of losing it, particulaly when Black can position his knight on c5.
    Hi, palo77 thanks for joining the discussion.
    There is nothing wrong with resigning when in a losing position. I agree there was nothing white could do to prevent your opponent's chances - shame he didn't notice it himself! Good game, and thanks for sharing. Rb1 was in my opinion the turning mistake, but no need to crucify yourself on that one, your opponent did very well to use the opportunity.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 13:35
    Originally posted by orion25
    I think Rb2 is just as good as Ra2. Here is one variation I made after your 1.Rb1:

[pgn]
    [Event "?"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "????.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "?"]
    [Black "?"]
    [Result "*"]
    [SetUp "1"]
    [FEN "2r3k1/4pp1p/3p2p1/1Q1Pb3/P3PnP1/1P3P1P/1r6/4RR1K w - - 0 1"]

1. Rb1 Rh2+ 2. Kxh2 Rc2+ 3. Kh1 3... Nxh3 4. Qe8+ Kg7 5. Rf2 Rxf2 6. Qb5 Rh2# *[/pgn] ...[text shortened]... de of if possible, and then show the power of his material.
    After 1. Rb1 Rh2+ 2. Kxh2 Rc2+ 3. Kh1 Nxh3 (as in your first diagram) white can cut off blacks bishop with his pawn to f4. What will black do then? White is superiour in material and can with no problems protect his pawn with the life of a rook against the bishop.

I bet a penny on white.
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 13:56
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    Just off hand doubling rooks on the 2nd looks good, except it gives up the back rank for annoying Queen checks, perhaps Nxh3 and Rh2# were feared.

No one ever won a game by resigning
    That is exactly why my opponent said he resigned.
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 14:00
    Originally posted by Palo77
    There is a fine balance between resigning too early and giving your opponent some respect. In this game I felt Paul was playing well, had got into a winning position and deserved the win and, even though there were still may variations, I didn't see any that were good for white. My decision was also probably (wrongly) influenced by work as I was having to tr ...[text shortened]... pawn and resulting pressure of losing it, particulaly when Black can position his knight on c5.
    I think the fact that I would have <insert chuckle> gladly accepted a draw shows that we both were clouded, and that when humans are playing, expect anything!

What bothers me is that I know the Bank of Chess Karma is going to call and tell me my account is overdrawn, and I will pay this forward to some lucky player in the near future πŸ˜•
  11. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 15:02
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    After 1. Rb1 Rh2+ 2. Kxh2 Rc2+ 3. Kh1 Nxh3 (as in your first diagram) white can cut off blacks bishop with his pawn to f4. What will black do then? White is superiour in material and can with no problems protect his pawn with the life of a rook against the bishop.

I bet a penny on white.
    That's what I get and deserve for being such a smart ass... πŸ™ I checked it like 10 times and never noticed that irritating pawn, oh well, guess that's why I'm a 1700 😞

But the idea is there and it still shows the possibilities black has. πŸ™‚
  12. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 17:34
    Nice game, Paul.

Here's another example of never giving up. I played white and got into what I thought was a very poor/cramped position and almost hit the resign button a few times before deciding to "play one more move, just in case." πŸ™‚

13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 18:08
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    Nice game, Paul.

Here's another example of never giving up. I played white and got into what I thought was a very poor/cramped position and almost hit the resign button a few times before deciding to "play one more move, just in case." πŸ™‚

[pgn][Event "TACK 2 Weak 2 dual"]
    [Site "http://www.timeforchess.com"]
    [Date "2010.03.22"]
    [EndDate ...[text shortened]... Q 69. Qd8d4 Kg1h2 70. Qd4h4 Kh2g2 71. Qh4g4 Kg2h2
    72. Ke2f2 1-0

[/pgn]
    Now that's entertainment! I've almost made it a rule for myself that technique untested isn't technique at all. We're human, and the play is the thing!
  14. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '10 05:10
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    That is exactly why my opponent said he resigned.
    πŸ™‚
    That and doubling the rooks looks pretty fatal, I just hate to give an inch during a game, if you know what I mean.
  15. Standard memberwargamer66
    Steve B.
    Salt Lake City
    Moves
    10 Apr '10 05:441 edit
    Instead of resigning in the final position, I would have played Qc4 as white, and tried to get rid of my queen for a rook. There is still play there it seems to me. On second thought, after Nxrp, there might be a mate looming.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree