1. c6
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 23:27
    I wonder this myself.

My guess is that when there are waaaaaaay too many rock-solid moves, over hundreds of games, it's pretty obvious that it's a computer, and not a secret correspondence GM in our midst.

But what's to stop someone from just turning on the engine only when the position gets hairy, say, to scrape out draws in lost positions?

It seems like that would be hard to catch.
  2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    27 Sep '10 23:56
    fast answer - no

long answer - strong humans play like humans not like chess engines.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 03:571 edit
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Yep. It's just plain hard to beat those engines and if I have to play sub 2100's to get an honest game then sobeit. I certainly don't apologise for that or the inference - everyone is aware of my stance and outings in the past on that. Regarding the 900 - which seriously affected my average - that was an open tourney and I have no control over who enters after I do.

skeets
    So you are saying all of the people above you and by inference a lot of those below you in rank are engines and therefore there is ?collusion? Tacit approval? by Russ and the moderators to allow engine use but only by those in the top 20 or so? I suppose you remember Ironman31 and his fate? Perhaps they are just very strong players, their games having been scrutinized very closely? You figure Weyer is an engine? Capa? All of them? Your stance is, if they beat you, they are an engine? The 2200 who beat you, why is he only 2200 then? The 1900 who beat you, why isn't he 2400?

Perhaps you are saying those in the upper ranks only use engines against YOU? There are banned players coming up all the time. You figure certain players are allowed to get away with using engines and others banned? Just trying to suss out where you are coming from here.

One thing is clear, at least YOU don't use engines, that is obvious. I would be shaken if it were shown you used engines.
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 07:042 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So you are saying all of the people above you and by inference a lot of those below you in rank are engines and therefore there is ?collusion? Tacit approval? by Russ and the moderators to allow engine use but only by those in the top 20 or so? I suppose you remember Ironman31 and his fate? Perhaps they are just very strong players, their games having been t YOU don't use engines, that is obvious. I would be shaken if it were shown you used engines.
    I really don't know what you expect me to say here sonhouse. I could say that the 1900 and 2200 defeats were against opponents that displayed a 96 and 100% match, respectively for 1st and 2nd choices from the Rybka 2.3.3 engine but clearly I cannot say that so I wont.

Again, clearly, I could say that after similar analysis, I have determined that amongst the revered 'front page 30', no less than twenty three employ chess engines to improve their play. But, I cannot say that and yet again, dont.

And, nimzo5's little contribution to this thread pretty much sums it up - random is random and the other random is a choo choo, but I can't say that so I don't.

skeeter
  5. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 07:48
    I really don't know what you expect me to say here sonhouse. I could say that the 1900 and 2200 defeats were against opponents that displayed a 96 and 100% match, respectively for 1st and 2nd choices from the Rybka 2.3.3 engine but clearly I cannot say that so I wont.

Again, clearly, I could say that after similar analysis, I have determined that amongst ...[text shortened]... random and the other random is a choo choo, but I can't say that so I don't.

skeeter
    LOL

You could say it, but you don't.

This is like when a lawyer blurts something out in front of the jury, and it is stricken from the record.
  6. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 12:50
    "did you order the code red?"

Is it really a surprise that the former #1 moved to site that practically encourages engine use?

While I have no doubt in my mind that current #1 is clearly GM Henrique Mecking in disguise ( our #1's name means black cape- most likely a reference to the movie.. sort of like having the name jediXYZ) we will just have to accept the very logical conclusion that there is no driver's license required to use rybka so you might see some motorists up in at the top of the charts.
  7. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 12:54
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    "did you order the code red?"

Is it really a surprise that the former #1 moved to site that practically encourages engine use?

While I have no doubt in my mind that current #1 is clearly GM Henrique Mecking in disguise ( our #1's name means black cape- most likely a reference to the movie.. sort of like having the name jediXYZ) we will just have to acc ...[text shortened]... icense required to use rybka so you might see some motorists up in at the top of the charts.
    I always thought it was a play on Capablanca. Blanca - white; preta - black.
  8. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 13:23
    There wouldn't be a space then? I suppose it's possible, but there was an 80's Brazilian movie the "Man in the Black Cape" - "O Homem da Capa Preta... "

It's also possible (but highly unlikely) that it is part of the last name of the player.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 18:07

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 18:40
    I really can't think of anything more pathetic and hilarious than cheating at internet chess.
  11. Joined
    26 Dec '09
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 19:21

Again, clearly, I could say that after similar analysis, I have determined that amongst the revered 'front page 30', no less than twenty three employ chess engines to improve their play. But, I cannot say that and yet again, dont.

skeeter
    Well, 23+ out of 30 is 76%+, which is very difficult to believe, because if what skeeter thinks but cannot say is true, then one would expect users from that list banned more frequently than there seem to be the case at the moment. I think there were about 5 users banned from the first page in the last 6 months or so.
    On the other hand, the RHP administration are in a difficult position here: to ban someone they would probably need extremely strong evidence (to avoid a mistake), possibly much stronger than the common sense says is sufficient. Also, there may be issues like what to do with the subscription money, and who knows, maybe even legal consequences.
    I know there are some older threads regarding this matter, but with no names of current players mentioned. So perhaps someone who knows a lot about all this stuff could create a special club, which everyone could join, with the private forum, where people who think they have strong evidence about someone cheating could post all that information. This may be useful to players who don't want to play against cheaters, but don't have engines/time to analyse themselves, etc. For example, if such evidence (with good explanation) were provided by several different people, that would probably convinced me that certain players are cheaters; in that case I would quit playing with them, and in the future won't enter the same tournaments. In fact, if most people would do likewise, then that might even discourage those players from cheating, or they would simply end up playing each other and get bored eventually.
    But in reality, I suspect, only a small percentage of players are bothered about that, probably mainly relatively stronger players who often play other strong players.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 19:46
    Originally posted by kes29
    Well, 23+ out of 30 is 76%+, which is very difficult to believe, because if what skeeter thinks but cannot say is true, then one would expect users from that list banned more frequently than there seem to be the case at the moment. I think there were about 5 users banned from the first page in the last 6 months or so.
    On the other hand, the RHP administration ...[text shortened]... about that, probably mainly relatively stronger players who often play other strong players.
    I think this club discusses chess games and users in depth in their private forum.

Club 75
  13. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 20:29
    Don't expect a reply from that club however, I applied awhile ago and have yet to get a response.
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 20:42
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Don't expect a reply from that club however, I applied awhile ago and have yet to get a response.
    Find out who's running it, and make their life a LIVING HELL!~

P-
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '03
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 21:442 edits
    Look at the game that allowed him to overtake Weyerstrass:

35.Kh1?? - Lucky Capa!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree