13 Sep '12 21:55

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 00:53
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I think we're going to have to ban any electronic device that's capable of running engine software from tournaments. That means smartphones, PDAs, etc.
  4. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 03:201 edit
    My first and only offical CFC rated tournament had a cheater in it. Some kid with a Monroi device was using it in the same way we use the "analyze board button".

All electronic devices should be banned IMO.
  5. Joined
    16 Nov '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 03:35
    I'd be happy to train 3 of the 4 Kardashian/Jenner daughters. Or would I then be the train?
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 04:34
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    My first and only offical CFC rated tournament had a cheater in it. Some kid with a Monroi device was using it in the same way we use the "analyze board button".

wow, it was a monroi? for 350+ dollars you basically get a dumbed down palm pilot that they (used to at least) claim is tamper proof. 😛
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 10:19
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47

Maybe not all. I like those chess boards that automatically record your moves The Columbia Chess Club has two. If there was one for every game, that would eliminate the need for each person to write down the moves and they would not need those other devices. I nearly always make mistakes on my score card anyway.
  8. Joined
    16 Nov '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 10:38
    In Bridge, we are moving to an electronic device that stays at each table. The scores are entered by the hosts and then confirmed by the opponents. It works well, and so far, no hacks. Now, that contains nowhere near as much valuable info as a chess game move record, but if those are the only electronic devices in the hall, then I can't see how one side could benefit over the other...?
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 12:53
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think the future may be those boards that record the moves automatically. Columbia Chess Club has two of those that they use on board 1 and 2 during the club championship. But right now the USCF requires each individual record the game also.
    Good grief, I hope not. Imagine what could go wrong!

Pen and paper work. This is a great advantage of old-fashioned technology that is too often overlooked.

Richard
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 12:58
    I hope you don't believe him...
    Presumably, the chess federation (on the basis of "innocent until"😉 will have to believe him, or at least act as if they do. But nobody else is required to, and even if his record is not disgraced in the long run, his name will be, and rightly so.

And how many people who are not serious chess players are going to remember or even to care that he once cheated at chess?

None, but those who are serious are the important ones in the world of chess (obviously). His name in the outside world may be sparkling, but over the board he's mud.

I suspect that this young chess cheater has a promising future: he could find a much more lucrative field (finance) in which to cheat in the future.

I fear very much that you're right. I fear even more that he won't make much of a difference, in that business.

Richard
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 15:28
    Maybe not all. I like those chess boards that automatically record your moves The Columbia Chess Club has two. If there was one for every game, that would eliminate the need for each person to write down the moves and they would not need those other devices. I nearly always make mistakes on my score card anyway.
    Only problem is that those are a tad more expensive than a vinyl board.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 15:50
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Good grief, I hope not. Imagine what could go wrong!

Pen and paper work. This is a great advantage of old-fashioned technology that is too often overlooked.

Richard
    Not always.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 15:55
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    I hope you don't believe him...
    Presumably, the chess federation (on the basis of "innocent until"😉 will have to believe him, or at least act as if they do. But nobody else is required to, and even if his record is not disgraced in the long run, his name will be, and rightly so.

[quote]And how many people who are not serious chess players are ...[text shortened]... ht. I fear even more that he won't make much of a difference, in that business.

Richard
    I understand he admitted he cheated. It does not matter how many times. Once a cheater, always a cheater. He should be banned for life, don't you think so?
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 15:57
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Only problem is that those are a tad more expensive than a vinyl board.
    I did not buy them, so I don't know how much they cost. But a tad more than a vinyl board doesn't sound too much.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 20:39
    I understand he admitted he cheated. It does not matter how many times. Once a cheater, always a cheater. He should be banned for life, don't you think so?
    Once a cheater, always a cheater.

Oh the irony Ron!!! 😲

Did you manage to type that with a straight face? 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree