Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 13 Sep '12 02:45
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8362701/the-evolution-cheating-chess%3C/a

"Rooked" by Dave McKenna (12 September 2012)
  2. 13 Sep '12 04:11
    "By pushing all the right buttons on a good chess engine, any Kardashian sister could conceivably checkmate Fischer."

Great stuff.
  3. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    13 Sep '12 04:51
    Originally posted by danilop
    "By pushing all the right buttons on a good chess engine, any Kardashian sister could conceivably checkmate Fischer."

Great stuff.
    I can mate Fischer without any problems and blindfolded because HE'S DEAD. 😕 😛
    He times out often now. 😞
  4. 13 Sep '12 06:08
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I can mate Fischer without any problems and blindfolded because HE'S DEAD. 😕 😛
    He times out often now. 😞
    Would winning on time really be ethical? 😵

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. 🙄
  5. 13 Sep '12 08:27 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64

An interesting read, although the USCF sanctioning of , 'technology we can work with',
    reeks of complacency. The 'no hack took place', claims are irrelevant, clearly the mere
    allowance of a PDA for recording moves, which can be recorded equally as well and
    with more efficiency, with a pencil and paper is suspect. Call me a Luddite, but a no
    electronic media stance would have stopped this nefarious activity in its tracks. I
    suspect that as technology advances and especially nano technology, cheating will
    become more and more difficult to detect. Those who do cheat are self delusional,
    depriving themselves of both the personal satisfaction of winning and the joy of
    learning from a defeat. The boys mother, in predictable fashion, displayed a
    complete lack of objectivity, what is it with parents that blinds them to the flaws of
    their own children?
  6. Subscriber thaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    13 Sep '12 09:28
    This confirms what I've always known. A quick glance at the graph and they're bang to rights.
  7. 13 Sep '12 10:53
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    This confirms what I've always known. A quick glance at the graph and they're bang to rights.
    bet you can't say the same for cleavage my Viking friend, seems like silicon is being
    used to defraud us chess players at every turn 😛
  8. 13 Sep '12 12:49
    Originally posted by Duchess64

The first question should, of course, be: why allow PDAs to record moves in the first place? What's wrong with pen and paper?

Richard
  9. 13 Sep '12 13:01
    Pen & paper is the future,
  10. 13 Sep '12 13:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I voted yesterday. I used a proper, old-fashioned red pencil and a piece of paper. Yes, it may be old hat and backwards, but at least it can't be cracked, or create "hanging chads".

Richard
  11. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    13 Sep '12 15:52
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I think the future may be those boards that record the moves automatically. Columbia Chess Club has two of those that they use on board 1 and 2 during the club championship. But right now the USCF requires each individual record the game also.
  12. Subscriber 64squaresofpain On Vacation
    The drunk knight
    13 Sep '12 18:01
    Why join a game, if you're not going to play?

Using computers to win a game of chess accomplishes nothing! (other than annoying the opponent, perhaps)
  13. Subscriber thaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    13 Sep '12 18:51
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Why join a game, if you're not going to play?

Using computers to win a game of chess accomplishes nothing! (other than annoying the opponent, perhaps)
    Actually for this lad it looks as though it added up to rather a lot of money.
  14. Subscriber 64squaresofpain On Vacation
    The drunk knight
    13 Sep '12 19:19
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Actually for this lad it looks as though it added up to rather a lot of money.
    Few scoops here and there, yes, but with a disgraced name in the long run i'm not sure I'd substitute honour for money... I have a frowney for smiley
  15. 13 Sep '12 20:21
    Originally posted by danilop

Great stuff.
    But how easy would it be to train a Kardashian sister to 'push all the right
    buttons on a good chess engine'? Now there's a pilot for a new television
    reality show: teaching a Kardashian sister how to play chess. "Ms Kardashian,
    how much harder can it be to memorize the chess rules than just your lines?"
    Kardashian sisters, meet the Polgar sisters, stage right.