1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 02:13
    Originally posted by Varenka
    I think it's to do with ruling out all forms of note taking. The score sheet is meant to be a record of the game and it should record the moves actually made, and not moves that may or may not be played.

Personally, I'm not too hung up on this rule. I'm just trying to give FIDE's possible reasons.
    In the US the rule was modified after the Monroi recording devices became available. The reason was because a player enters moves on touch-screen board diagram, and when they enter the move, they see the new position.

That was considered to be an advantage, since they could see the new position in the diagram, and change the move since it hadn't yet been played on the board.

The result was the "move first, record second" rule. I don't know anything about the FIDE rule's evolution, but it may be related.
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 02:15
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    *calls travel agent to cancel trip*
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 03:01
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    In the US the rule was modified after the Monroi recording devices became available. The reason was because a player enters moves on touch-screen board diagram, and when they enter the move, they see the new position.

That was considered to be an advantage, since they could see the new position in the diagram, and change the move since it hadn't yet ...[text shortened]... econd" rule. I don't know anything about the FIDE rule's evolution, but it may be related.
    True as far as the Monroi devices are concerned. However, there is a USCF Rule 15A (Variation I) on the books, which apparently authorizes TDs to allow use of the old-style "record first, move second" for people using a paper scoresheet.

"15A. (Variation I) Paper scoresheet variation.

The player using a paper scoresheet may first make the move, and then write it on the scoresheet, or vice versa. This variation does not need to be advertised in advance"
  4. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 06:44
    Sounds a bit like coppers having to date coppers because no right thinking person would touch them.
  5. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 10:10
    Apparently Robbie did try to grasp a woman's artificially-boosted cleavage and landed in a lot of hot water.

So this begs the question.. who is in a "two person" chess playing household and in what direction does the rating go ?
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 13:53
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett

That was considered to be an advantage, since they could see the new position in the diagram, and change the move since it hadn't yet ...[text shortened]... econd" rule. I don't know anything about the FIDE rule's evolution, but it may be related.
    Yeah, it was funny how the USCF tried to change rules for the waaaay overpriced MonRoi device. TD's were simply refusing to enforce the 'move first, then record' rule, so the USCF had to change the rule back to what it was before.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 15:371 edit
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Apparently Robbie did try to grasp a woman's artificially-boosted cleavage and landed in a lot of hot water.

So this begs the question.. who is in a "two person" chess playing household and in what direction does the rating go ?
    To grasp a woman's artificially-boosted cleavage can look very tempting. Maybe there should be a law against women doing that.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 15:42
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    True as far as the Monroi devices are concerned. However, there is a USCF Rule 15A (Variation I) on the books, which apparently authorizes TDs to allow use of the old-style "record first, move second" for people using a paper scoresheet.

"15A. (Variation I) Paper scoresheet variation.

The player using a paper scoresheet may first make the move, and ...[text shortened]... on the scoresheet, or vice versa. This variation does not need to be advertised in advance"
    To me, it's illogical to put a move on a SCORESHEET until after you have actually made it. A scoresheet is supposed to be a record of moves made in the game and you don't make the move until you physically move the piece.
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 16:18
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    To me, it's illogical to put a move on a SCORESHEET until after you have actually made it. A scoresheet is supposed to be a record of moves made in the game and you don't make the move until you physically move the piece.
    Yeah, I agree with your logic. I move first, then record the move. But if my opponent is using a paper scoresheet and wants to do the opposite, that's fine with me. He's actually wasting a bit of clock time by recording his moves on his own time.

BTW, I've been told that lots of scholastic players here in the USA are still being taught to record first, then move.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 16:44
    Yeah, I agree with your logic. I move first, then record the move. But if my opponent is using a paper scoresheet and wants to do the opposite, that's fine with me. He's actually wasting a bit of clock time by recording his moves on his own time.

BTW, I've been told that lots of scholastic players here in the USA are still being taught to record first, then move.
    Dude is that really you? how ya been?
  11. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 16:47

When I was coaching young children the problem I found was that they used to move too quickly. if their opponent started moving quickly they would do likewise even if they had plenty of time and their opponent was in time trouble.

To combat this I taught them to.

1. Think of a move
    2. Write it down.
    3. PUT THE PENCIL DOWN and CHECK THE MOVE
    4. Count to 10.
    5. If it was ok then play the move.

This would often cure them to the tendency to rush. The deliberate act of putting the pencil down (which I emphasised) served to reign in their pawn pushing exuberance.

Unfortunately this was banned a few years ago. I also think that hiding your scoresheet is now banned? (Not positive about this one)
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 19:312 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 20:011 edit

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 20:241 edit

15. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '12 01:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Dude is that really you? how ya been?
    Hey Robbie. Nobody in his right mind would want my identity, so yeah, it's me. 🙂 I'm doing OK, still alive and kickin', the good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise. Dang these chess cheating threads, I can't always ignore them!

I hope you're doing OK? Have you joined one of those clubs yet? 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree