20 Sep '12 21:081 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Sep '12 13:20
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Many people have said so before (and after!) your friend - I believe a certain Mr. Casanova even wrote it down in his "memoirs" (a.k.a. bragging blog).

As for me, I think that's slightly too large for me - I prefer it if the king is just smaller than my palm.

Reveal Hidden Content
    Oh, wait, you weren\'t talking about chess? Well, in that case... I don\'t care about the size, but about the proportions.

Richard
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Sep '12 13:22
    Originally posted by kbear1k
    "That's not what the score sheet is for. You're not playing OTB chess that way, but short-term correspondence chess."

Please explain - your response does not make sense.
    In correspondence chess, you are allowed to take as many notes as you like.

In OTB chess, you are not allowed to take any notes at all, not even on your score sheet.

If you use your score sheet to take notes, even by indirect means, even accidentally, you are in effect playing correspondence chess, not OTB chess.

Richard
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '12 23:46
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    You mean fortunately this means of note-taking while the game is playing was banned a few years ago, surely?

Too many players pwerformed your routine like this:
    1. Think
    2. Write down the move
    3. Put down pencil
    4. Think of a better move (or even, spot opponent's reaction to written-down move and get a clue that it's bad)
    5. Cross out mov ...[text shortened]... . And that is why it is now required to move first, write down afterwards.

Richard
    For the benefit of us guys playing under USCF rules, I'd like to mention that, while a TD can allow people to record first then move if using paper scoresheets, the TD can also penalize anyone who repeatedly crosses out moves on the scoresheet before actually moving. (And I'd scream bloody murder if my opponent tried this on me.)
  5. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '12 18:10
    In competitions, I'd be more worried about a better player reading the intended move, and coughing as a hint, than about my personal reaction.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Sep '12 21:19

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Sep '12 21:47
    I don't think it is a good idea to broadcasts ways to cheat. Somebody might try it and get in trouble.
  8. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '12 00:38
    "In OTB chess, you are not allowed to take any notes at all, not even on your score sheet.

Writting you move down in advanced is not taking notes. Anyone who believes that is daft.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Sep '12 10:09
    Originally posted by kbear1k
    "In OTB chess, you are not allowed to take any notes at all, not even on your score sheet.

Writting you move down in advanced is not taking notes. Anyone who believes that is daft.
    I don't like to write my move down before I move. I feel like I am wasting time, because I am slow enough as it is before I decide what to move.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree