1. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 18:17
    Haven't looked at any of the original posters games, but not sure why its so implausible that a casual player could beat 6 players rated <1400. I've never taked the game overly seriously before joining earlier this year, but have tended to find many of the 1300/ 1400 players and less, tend to be a little loose tactically.

Prior to joining, I would have learned how to play 15 years ago, and for 2 years or so, played chess a few times a week with a stronger friend, from whom I learned a bit as well as the terminology. After that I played hardly at all, except the odd social game, and prior to being prompted by a friend to join here on RHP so we could play a few games, played hardly anything except a bit against a cut down version of shredder (which comes with Google Chrome as an add-on).
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 18:26
    I suppose the real question here is who is his brother? If his brother's name is Mangus, then maybe he's telling the truth!
  3. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 18:30
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I suppose the real question here is who is his brother? If his brother's name is Mangus, then maybe he's telling the truth!
    Not sure. I'm increasingly of the opinion that it is possible for someone with no more than good tactical awareness, basic knowledge of opening principles and the basic mates, could probably quite easily gain a 1400'ish rating here on RHP.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 18:39
    Originally posted by Murchu
    Not sure. I'm increasingly of the opinion that it is possible for someone with no more than good tactical awareness, basic knowledge of opening principles and the basic mates, could probably quite easily gain a 1400'ish rating here on RHP.
    How much study does it take to achieve good tactical awareness and knowledge of basic mates? How about board vision? That doesn't just come natural for a vast majority of us.

I suppose that depends on the individual, but for most of us this would require study. It would require a much deeper study in chess than simply knowing how the pieces move and playing only against other beginners.
  5. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 19:041 edit
    How much study does it take to achieve good tactical awareness and knowledge of basic mates? How about board vision? That doesn't just come natural for a vast majority of us.

I suppose that depends on the individual, but for most of us this would require study. It would require a much deeper study in chess than simply knowing how the pieces move and playing only against other beginners.
    Obviously it has to come from somewhere, but don't rule it out coming from games. Nothing groundbreaking about basic mates, and after being mated a few dozen times, anyone would pick up on the techniques on how to mate with king & queen, king & rook, etc. As for basic tactics, if most of the games you play are tactical in nature, as is common for king pawn games, then who is to say you can't learn the basic tactical devices such as pins, et al from games with a stronger opponent.

As regards, board vision, I'm not arguing that it comes naturally, but simply that up to a certain point, tactical awareness, opening principles and basic mates will get you a decent part of the way on their own. Beyond that, things like strategy, an opening book and endgame technique are required to proceed further, beyond the basic building blocks.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 19:22
    Have you looked through some of his games?

What do you think are the odds that this guy is really new to chess and has had absolutely no formal training? (Assuming of course he's not using a computer)
  7. e4
    Moves
    20 Jun '11 00:42
    Hi Murcho

"Obviously it has to come from somewhere, but don't rule it out
    coming from games."

I agree with everthing you say. The best method of improving is
    playing and playing and playing.

Anyone can make 1600ish just on what they pick up from playing.
    Infact opening a chess book could be the worse they could do at that stage.

So if we all agree the lad in question got to the standard he is at
    just by playing. Then he is not "...new to chess."

He's a bit rough around the edges but the games being played are not by
    someone who is a beginner. Every reasonable player on here will agree.

He's having a laugh.
  8. Joined
    19 May '11
    Moves
    20 Jun '11 06:31
    Losing queens first moves of in annyoning
    :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(
  9. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    20 Jun '11 15:26
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Murcho

"Obviously it has to come from somewhere, but don't rule it out
    coming from games."

I agree with everthing you say. The best method of improving is
    playing and playing and playing.

Anyone can make 1600ish just on what they pick up from playing.
    Infact opening a chess book could be the worse they could do at that stage.

So if we ...[text shortened]... ne who is a beginner. Every reasonable player on here will agree.

He's having a laugh.
    Indeed, and very much dependent on ones definition of 'new to chess', of which there seems to be some contradiction from the original poster. I came in where the poster outlined his casual play over a good many years, where it was not surprising that he should have beaten 6 people on the trot upon joining. If the poster had no exposure to chess at all, as he indicated in his original post, that is quite a different matter alright.

In any case, we're in agreement. Mostly 🙂
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '11 16:151 edit
    Have you looked through some of his games?

What do you think are the odds that this guy is really new to chess and has had absolutely no formal training? (Assuming of course he's not using a computer)
    formal training to get to 1600 here, are you mad?

don't listen to these guys savielly, i believe that you suck.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '11 16:202 edits
    I suppose I should have said formal training or exposure to good players. People don't play good chess without seeing others do it.

I suck, so my definition of good may be a bit low.
  12. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    20 Jun '11 16:24
    Savielly Tartakower... Anyone?
  13. bedlam
    Moves
    20 Jun '11 16:28
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Yes!
    post 12 on page 2
  14. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '11 16:38
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    So instead of worrying whether he's using a box, we should ask if he's using an ouija board? (Shades of Korchnoi vs. Geza Maroczy!)
  15. bedlam
    Moves
    20 Jun '11 16:43
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    So instead of worrying whether he's using a box, we should ask if he's using an ouija board? (Shades of Korchnoi vs. Geza Maroczy!)
    or

how many beginners have heard of Tartakower?

His name really could be Savielly,of course,but the plot thickens.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree