1. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 10:39
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    [...] You'd have to be a very strong player (which seadevil isn't) to even consider this, let alone have faith that your calculations are correct.
    Wouldn't the engine applied for white "see" the same plot?

And After I went through the game I wasn't sure that White couldn't have had a chance withan exchaneg of the Queens... At least an engine should have found the mate in one after the taking the Bishop
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 10:54
    So why did it take over a year to nail him?
  3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 10:57
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So why did it take over a year to nail him?
    Could have several reasons:

* nobody bothered to state the evident to the game moderators
    * the evidence was not such damning.
    * others were much more aggresive and had to be dealt with first
    * people knew him and didn't take action as fast as they di against unknown people...

There is at least one other top30 player who has been traded as being an engine and he is still happily there...
  4. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 11:25
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I can see that he did a curious move after your description. But then, he has a rating of 2400+, his moves are very deep ....
    Check out his games from the recent British Championship. Not so deep moves being played there
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 12:06
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    Check out his games from the recent British Championship. Not so deep moves being played there
    Which games? Does he have elo rating or Fide?
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 12:571 edit
    Which games? Does he have elo rating or Fide?
    ECF grade of 163:
    http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getref.php?ref=109427A

FIDE rating of 2071 (but due to drop well below 2000 when the new list comes out):
    http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1801325
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 10:331 edit
    Which games?
    His games from the British Championships can be viewed here:
    http://www.britishchess08.com/downloads/games.htm
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 23:361 edit
    Here is the position after 81.Kf2
    [fen]8/1k1b1Q2/1p2p1P1/6q1/1P1p4/5P2/5K2/8[/fen]

Look at it carefully. Black is a piece up, but White is just two moves from queening and additionally is threatening to capture Black's extra piece with check. Luckily Black can bail out with a perpetual check.

But instead, Black plays 81. ... Qd5, allowing White to qu adevil isn't) to even consider this, let alone have faith that your calculations are correct.
    Ha I would have done it just because I'm a dare devil.... I would probably end up missing something at first and hopefully found it later or stayed completely oblivious.... I hate it when I play a sketchy move or sacrifice a bunch of material and the post mortem shows it was completely sound the whole time and I end up being accused. I'm not saying that it shouldn't cause suspicion only that it should be investigated and not voiced publicly. The reason for this is that a persons reputation will forever be tainted even if he was completely innocent. Now that my little lecture is over I will state that I did think that both were cheats.
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 14:40
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I think Fat Lady identified Seadevil as a cheat long before anyone else, seeing as he knew who he really was OTB. I recollect FL telling me about Seadevil well over 12 months ago.
    [sarcasm]
    But, as many of the forum members have so passionately argued, there is such an incredibly low correlation between OTB strength and Correspondence strength, that this is no evidence of cheating at all.
    [/sarcasm]
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 15:00
    ECF grade of 163:
    http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getref.php?ref=109427A

FIDE rating of 2071 (but due to drop well below 2000 when the new list comes out):
    http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1801325
    The games played in the recent championship didn't seem like a near 2100 OTB player.

Some of his wacky moves, and opening play seemed like it belonged to somebody no more than 1700, IMHO.

D
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 15:05
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    The games played in the recent championship didn't seem like a near 2100 OTB player.

Some of his wacky moves, and opening play seemed like it belonged to somebody no more than 1700, IMHO.

D
    maybe that's what years of engine play gets you. 🙂
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '01
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 15:19
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

D
    Hi there

If he qualified for the British Championship main section, that that in my opinion is an achievement in itself to be applauded. The tournament was stronger than an ordinary open, because other players either had to actively qualify or have the relevant chess title (FM or above) to automatically qualify.

It is a shame he apparently abused engines on this site - but please don't degenerate his achievement of playing in the British chess championship main section (or apparently doing badley) - it is a very good achievement to qualify for that tournament. And it he was a junior player, then it is a very good learning experience for him, to improve for future years.

But apparently his birth date is 1952 according to the Fide records, if I have the right player look up - so actually it is good for a player of his age to be competing at that level for proper one day a game Fide time controls, over a gruelling 11 round tournament.

There are already some people on this forum that seem to want to actively run down the British championship - I wish they would first qualify and play in it before wanting to attack the championship for not being as strong as it used to be. Or recognise at least that Adams and Short didn't just pop out like potatoes from the ground - they used to be under 2300 and actually did play in the British championship with far lower Fide ratings that they have now. It is a very good learning experience for potentially dangerous players who have qualified in the relevant qualifying events.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 15:29
    Originally posted by Tryfon Gavriel
    Hi there

If he qualified for the British Championship main section, that that in my opinion is an achievement in itself to be applauded. The tournament was stronger than an ordinary open, because other players either had to actively qualify or have the relevant chess title (FM or above) to automatically qualify.

It is a shame he apparently abuse ...[text shortened]... rience for potentially dangerous players who have qualified in the relevant qualifying events.
    Have you looked at the games, or are you just ranting?

I don't know how much of your post was actually aimed at me, but I'm struggling to equate my comment on Davis' decision to move his knight umpteen times in the first ten moves to "attacking the championship"?

D
  14. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 15:30
    Originally posted by Tryfon Gavriel
    ...If he qualified for the British Championship main section, that that in my opinion is an achievement in itself to be applauded. The tournament was stronger than an ordinary open, because other players either had to actively qualify or have the relevant chess title (FM or above) to automatically qualify...
    I'm not sure that's right actually.
    I think you just have to be a member of a National Federation, preferably have a FIDE rating & most importantly stump-up the admission fee of £175!

There were 3 players rated under FIDE 2000 at the start of this year's British Championships & I have 3 people rated around that at my little local club!
  15. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 15:38
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    I'm not sure that's right actually.
    I think you just have to be a member of a National Federation, preferably have a FIDE rating & most importantly stump-up the admission fee of £175!
    I'm almost certain that is incorrect. Titled players (GM, IM, WGM or WIM) don't have to qualify, but everyone else does.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree