Nobody resigns?

Nobody resigns?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
25 Feb 07

If you are a non subscriber and can only play 6 games. It can be very frustrating to play through long enivitable endgame wins with opponents that take ages to move.

Is it a case of tough luck pay the money or should you politely try to encourage your opponent to do the noble deed and fall on his sword?

Generally when I played matches I would play on when really I shouldn't as I am an optimist, so I don't want to be a hypocrite.

d

1. e4!!

Moves
25 Feb 07

Nobody ever made a comeback by resigning.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
25 Feb 07

If you don't like it subscribe.

The cost is trivial.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
25 Feb 07

Originally posted by petrosianpupil
If you are a non subscriber and can only play 6 games. It can be very frustrating to play through long enivitable endgame wins with opponents that take ages to move.

Is it a case of tough luck pay the money or should you politely try to encourage your opponent to do the noble deed and fall on his sword?

Generally when I played matches I would play on when really I shouldn't as I am an optimist, so I don't want to be a hypocrite.
It's all about the timers.

1/7 or 1/14 or quicker.

You can wait 2 weeks for a win right?

Exactly why I don't use longer timers. Game gets boring and to prevent people from stalling for months.

But don't worry, the higher up you go, the less likely people will do this thing, I think.

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
25 Feb 07

Originally posted by Dragon Fire

The cost is trivial.
Yes I think I will subscribe. When my opponents start losing they make moves ten or ever twenty times slower then before the crucial mistake, so out of 6 games I have 4 games like that. Frustrating, I was even considering to offer them a draw in a winning position if they rating is superior to mine...

d

1. e4!!

Moves
25 Feb 07

You'll instantly like the site better. Join tourneys. If your game card is slow just make more games. Before subscribing I played only 3/0 now 3/7 is fine because of more games means more moves.

a

Moves
25 Feb 07

Originally posted by Dragon Fire

The cost is trivial.
So annoying people instead of encouraging people is now the more acceptable way to get subscriptions? I would think that people who enjoy a site would feel more comfortable about it than people who are faced by those who abuse the system.

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
25 Feb 07

Try playing with shorter time controls and longer timebanks; 1/28 if necessary.

Obviously there are multiple other sites, although many of them not as good as this one, on which you may play correspondence chess if subscribing is a problem.

F

Moves
25 Feb 07

When I was an unsubscribing member, I chosed the ones to challenge very carefully. I played with those who have a record of moving quickly and those that prefer losing by resignation. It is very frustrating to play with opponents dragging their moves into eternity, never wanting to lose and this when all six of them did that. This is one of the reasons I paid the subscription fee. Life seems better now.

g

Kalamazoo, MI

Moves
25 Feb 07

Originally posted by abejnood
So annoying people instead of encouraging people is now the more acceptable way to get subscriptions? I would think that people who enjoy a site would feel more comfortable about it than people who are faced by those who abuse the system.
Abuse? What system?

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
25 Feb 07

It's perfectly acceptable for people to use all their allotted time and to try and fight as long as possible.

If you feel you have a won position...prove it.

a

Moves
25 Feb 07

Originally posted by Diet Coke
It's perfectly acceptable for people to use all their allotted time and to try and fight as long as possible.

If you feel you have a won position...prove it.
Certainly it's acceptable to. However, when you are slowing down on purpose in order to try to streach the game clearly is not the nicest possible method in order to please someone. The point here is not what can and can't be done, rather the point is that when someone slows down to try to annoy you or lenghten a game when its perfectly feasible for them to play in a much more frequent time, then a possible subscriber may become disheartened and leave rather than pay for something which has upset him. I didn't say anything regarding resigning, I agree that "it's not over 'till its over". I'm just saying that using methods other than talent to try to win a game may not be the best way to encouage subsciptions.

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
25 Feb 07

Certainly it's acceptable to. However, when you are slowing down on purpose in order to try to streach the game clearly is not the nicest possible method in order to please someone. The point here is not what can and can't be done, rather the point is that when someone slows down to try to annoy you or lenghten a game when its perfectly feasible for them t ...[text shortened]... other than talent to try to win a game may not be the best way to encouage subsciptions.
Like waiting for you to die, or leave?😀

a

Moves
25 Feb 07

Originally posted by Diet Coke
Like waiting for you to die, or leave?😀
Neither of which subscibe.

r

Tony, kiss mine!

Moves
25 Feb 07

dont forget...
you, like me, are in the 1300-1400 range...
this means that even in a winnable position, we might screw up...
the opponent is playing the odds that you'll make a mistake...
even if it's a stalemate...
play with, like someone earlier said, either 1/7, 1/14, or 3/7 time controls...