Originally posted by abejnood
    Neither of which subscibe.
    how come you don't subscribe?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 23:20
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Like waiting for you to die, or leave?😀
    ive been waiting, to no avail, for this to happen for a year and a half now...
    i give up...
  3. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 23:20
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    how come you don't subscribe?
    Too busy. Science Olympiad, Science Bowl, Scholar's Bowl, Future Problem Solving, Astronomy Club, International Relations Club, Chess Club, Circuit Lab, and my AP and Honors classes doesn't leave much free time...
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 23:21
    Too busy. Science Olympiad, Science Bowl, Scholar's Bowl, Future Problem Solving, Astronomy Club, International Relations Club, Chess Club, Circuit Lab, and my AP and Honors classes doesn't leave much free time...
    that's true...
    you know, our board one won't be there for the state team right?
    mr. G is gonna put AJ on board one, and hope the rest of us can come through...
    are u gonna be able to go?
  5. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 23:24
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    that's true...
    you know, our board one won't be there for the state team right?
    mr. G is gonna put AJ on board one, and hope the rest of us can come through...
    are u gonna be able to go?
    Neither me nor Miroslav will be able to go to either regionals or state. Mr. G won't be happy when he finds out.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 23:28
    Certainly it's acceptable to. However, when you are slowing down on purpose in order to try to streach the game clearly is not the nicest possible method in order to please someone. The point here is not what can and can't be done, rather the point is that when someone slows down to try to annoy you or lenghten a game when its perfectly feasible for them t ...[text shortened]... other than talent to try to win a game may not be the best way to encouage subsciptions.
    I do seem to remember having to wait for quite a while for you to make moves in some games a while ago.

Although the general point is quite interesting. How long I take over a move depends on how hard I think the position is, how many games I've got in progress, what the weather is like, and whether the game in question is buried under a pile of other games I've been dragging my feet in. Sometimes I take ages over a move in really quite good positions because I'm not sure of the right way forward and don't want to mess the game up. Sometimes I take ages in lost positions out of the mistaken belief that they are saveable. Sometimes I'm just waiting for my opponents rating to recover a bit...

This really isn't something you can control other than by choosing time limits, and opponents, to match your patience.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 23:301 edit
    Neither me nor Miroslav will be able to go to either regionals or state. Mr. G won't be happy when he finds out.
    regionals either?
    ouch...
    lets see,
    Shore will go on 1, and we'll just take that loss...
    the new kid u drew with ruy lopez will be 2, me three, and AJ 4
    we're in trouble...
    and my endgames still suck, so i'm not going to be that much help...
    by the way, where will u guys be?

EDIT: actually, the kid u drew... he might not get to play cuz he hasn't given mr. G all his info. necessary for the tournament...
    this will be amusing to say the least...
  8. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 01:15
    However it is annoying when a position is lost for your opponent and you notice he's moving like crazy in other games. In your game he's just a sitting duck with no luck and doesn't even try for the draw in a K+Q vs K ending. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!
  9. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 01:17
    Originally posted by deeploser
    However it is annoying when a position is lost for your opponent and you notice he's moving like crazy in other games. In your game he's just a sitting duck with no luck and doesn't even try for the draw in a K+Q vs K ending. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!
    Ah, Cram it ya' whiner.
  10. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 01:28
    Somehow you make me laugh in almost every thread you post in. 😀
  11. Garner, NC
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 03:38
    So annoying people instead of encouraging people is now the more acceptable way to get subscriptions? I would think that people who enjoy a site would feel more comfortable about it than people who are faced by those who abuse the system.
    Seems like subscribing is a much simpler solution than could be offered by RHP. Would you have RHP offer unlimited games to non-subscribers? What reasons are left to subscribe? I don't see how RHP can insulate you from those who abuse the system other than funding this site out of their own money at great personal expense.

While it is wrong to drag games on out of spite, that is hardly a critique of RHP, but rather a critique of your opponent.

I didn't subscribe at first, and I think 6 games at a time for free (along with a valid rating) is more than fair as a free service.
  12. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 03:53
    While it is true nobody ever wins or draws by resigning, it often saves time in a game that is definitively lost (where the result is at 99% certain to be loss regardless.)
  13. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 10:47
    Originally posted by geepamoogle
    While it is true nobody ever wins or draws by resigning, it often saves time in a game that is definitively lost (where the result is at 99% certain to be loss regardless.)
    99% still gives your opponent that 1% chance.
  14. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 14:59
    I find this discussion interesting because reflecting back on 45 years playing C/C (using post cards), I’ve never experienced any of the following: a stalemate, an opponent who refused to resign in an obviously lost position, had an opponent just abandon a lost game (they’ve always resigned). Unfortunately I’ve never had an opponent blunder away an easy win nor can I remember ever having done so. I did have a C/C game once where a 2300+ OTB opponent was trying to win a drawn K&P ending when he blundered a P & lost but that’s a once in a life time experience. All except the last 2-3 years have been using post cards, so are all these things just an Internet phenomenon I haven’t run into yet?
  15. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 17:46
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    If you don't like it subscribe.

The cost is trivial.
    Trouble is that I love chess.

I get addicted easily.

I am worried that I would play too many games, lose my job, wife leaves me and kids are on the street.

The cost then becomes more than trivial.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree