1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    23 Oct '06 17:46
    Originally posted by z00t
    It is a term from the z00t school of chess ...
    no wonder it didn't make any sense. 🙂
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '06 17:37
    Originally posted by wormwood
    no wonder it didn't make any sense. 🙂
    Whilst derogatory terms like Duffer, woodpusher or patzer are commonly used to refer to weak players, it is not my intention to belittle anyone. Anyone regardless of their sex/age can learn how to play smarter chess.

What contribution do you have to improving others play?
  3. In the ****
    Moves
    24 Oct '06 18:46
    Not everyone necessarily wants to 'improve'. Some just want to have some fun.
  4. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '06 20:08
    Originally posted by Rene-Claude
    Why do they not want to improve? Maybe they are on an assignment to find out how many dictators have billions in Swiss accounts.

Even a casual player will enjoy the game more if they stop making school-boy errors. What enjoyment do you get from your opponent dropping pieces easily?
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Oct '06 22:331 edit
    Whilst derogatory terms like Duffer, woodpusher or patzer are commonly used to refer to weak players, it is not my intention to belittle anyone. Anyone regardless of their sex/age can learn how to play smarter chess.

What contribution do you have to improving others play?
    how nice of you to not call me a duffer, woodpusher or a patzer.

I contribute when I see something I'm able to contribute into. had you paid any attention to what get's posted here, you'd already have known that. my contribution considering the expression "wind-assisted chess" is that it's moronic and misleading. every time you've used it, someone has asked you either "what the hell is wind-assisted chess?" (or something to that effect), or if you're accusing someone of engine use. then you get to explain it all once again.

why can't you just say: "people making random moves" or "people moving without thinking"?
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 Oct '06 22:52
    Why do they not want to improve? Maybe they are on an assignment to find out how many dictators have billions in Swiss accounts.

Even a casual player will enjoy the game more if they stop making school-boy errors. What enjoyment do you get from your opponent dropping pieces easily?
    A master could make the same argument. Why should you stop at 1800? Wouldn't you enjoy the game more if you were 2200?
  7. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 17:19
    Wind-assisted is not moronic or misleading, its just unique. The other terms are meant to humiliate weaker players. This one aims to encourage all whether they are a certain Anand unable to beat 2300 opposition in the Olympiad or a 1200 player at RHP.

If you saw one of my posts elsewhere you will see what happened to Karpov when he stopped preparing for tournaments as seriously as he was accustomed to. (Yes even GMs need to prepare.)
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 19:232 edits
    Wind-assisted is not moronic or misleading, its just unique. The other terms are meant to humiliate weaker players. This one aims to encourage all whether they are a certain Anand unable to beat 2300 opposition in the Olympiad or a 1200 player at RHP.

If you saw one of my posts elsewhere you will see what happened to Karpov when he stopped preparing for tournaments as seriously as he was accustomed to. (Yes even GMs need to prepare.)
    You're still going on about Anand playing 'wind-assisted' chess? You're an 1800 player. Compared to Anand, you're a fish. Your criticisms of world-class GMs like Karpov and Anand is laughable. (I especially love the part when you lecture them on preparation...)
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 19:441 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You're still going on about Anand playing 'wind-assisted' chess? You're an 1800 player. Compared to Anand, you're a fish. Your criticisms of world-class GMs like Karpov and Anand is laughable. (I especially love the part when you lecture them on preparation...)
    If it isn't the forum only troll who hasn't moved for nearly 2 months. Karpov was explaining what happened .... why do I have to bother with idiots posting irrelevant info anyway?
  10. Standard memberdeathwolf923410
    Nara Shikamaru
    Village of Konaha
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 21:40
    Originally posted by Rene-Claude
    Even though i may just want to have fun, it doesnt mean i dont want to improve. I thank you greatly for the websites.
  11. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 17:16
    Originally posted by deathwolf923410
    Even though i may just want to have fun, it doesnt mean i dont want to improve. I thank you greatly for the websites.
    I had a quick look at one or two of your games and would offer you the following advice:-

- Watch out for attacks against your King. Do not let your opponent aim his pieces at f7 and you then take a pawn overlooking an attack.
    - Try and learn an opening like the French, English, Sicilian, Four Knights etc
    - Read a good book on Chess such as simple tactics and strategies.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 18:27
    If it isn't the forum only troll who hasn't moved for nearly 2 months. Karpov was explaining what happened .... why do I have to bother with idiots posting irrelevant info anyway?
    I'm saving some of your potential 'students' from wasting time with a windbag who falsely inflates his own reputation by leveling vague, invalid criticisms at world-class GM's like Anand. You should be so lucky to have some of the 'wind' that moves his pieces guide yours.

You conveniently left out any mention of Karpov himself stating that he had not prepared well enough. However, you did take credit for exposing this lack of preparation in one of your posts. A more honest post would have been something like "Karpov admitted his bad tournament result was due to lack of preparation..." which properly credits the source (if, in fact, he did say it; if he didn't, we're back to the issue of you lecturing GM's about how to prepare again).

It's also funny you should mention my not playing correspondence for 2 months, given the other threads of yours slamming correspondence chess as machine/wind-assisted chess.
  13. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 20:58
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    That "improveyourchess.com" looked too good to be true. Turns out you have to pay for it.🙁 I haven't checked out the others yet.
    This is another site :- http://chess.about.com/od/beginners/a/ble20ndx.htm
  14. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 15:12

That is a position from http://www.uschess.org/beginners/ten/ One of the simplest things in chess is often overlooked by 1200ish rated players. Don't ignore what your opponent is doing.
  15. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 08:33
    Now that RahimK has hit the road, those of you who are wondering what will happen to the tips thread should not have sleepless nights. Come and make contributions, however small somebody somewhere will appreciate them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree