1. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 12:40
    Originally posted by mtthw
    It must be good if he's using it to draw as white against someone rated 127 points below him 🙂
    Good point! 😉
  2. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 22:26
    Originally posted by z00t
    Now that RahimK has hit the road, those of you who are wondering what will happen to the tips thread should not have sleepless nights. Come and make contributions, however small somebody somewhere will appreciate them.
    Bump (my contribution).
  3. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 22:31
    Yeah thanks for the websites they're great!
  4. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 18:49
    This is a nice one to test your skills http://www.chessarea.com/chess-strategy/chess-test/
  5. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 18:14
    Just to bump this thread. The advise therein is still useful.
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 10:31
    bump
  7. Standard memberpawntorook4
    chaotic patzer
    Campinas, SP; Brazil
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 20:34
    Lord knows i need to read this carefully, thanks for those who contributed
  8. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 21:35
    Originally posted by pawntorook4
    Lord knows i need to read this carefully, thanks for those who contributed
    Welcome to the site. Play about 20 games and then assess your play. Don't look down on yourself after just one or 2 games.
  9. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '07 05:41
    Thanks for the URLs. I found one of the sub-pages extremely helpful.
  10. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 10:20
    Originally posted by dmnelson84
    Thanks for the URLs. I found one of the sub-pages extremely helpful.
    Your graph looks a bit strange did you resign/get timed out of all your games or something?
  11. Joined
    12 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 07:22
    Hey kids,

thanks for a thread that was more interesting than I might have expected. I was pretty entertained by the different arguments posited... For every good postulation, it's actually kinda nice to see different points of view on the matter at hand.

My chess game is fossilised, I haven't played it for a few years, and now my friend is kicking my arse (as invited).

I actually have kinda an odd question. One of my major problems seems to be, uh, short term memory! (Can't think of any obvious reason that might account for that... heh...)

Recently I figured that part of my issue is kinda like needing to be able to scribble stuff down on paper. Although the grid reference points are useful, when I look at them (ie when a move is denoted), it doesn't really translate to the game in my head. Basically, I think chess is cool, but have had little to do with it to date, which is s/t I"m gonna start amending right now.

Anyhow, I had this epiphany that I would be sooo much better if I could have a way to basically do little sums on paper. I've noticed that there is an option to print the board.

Maybe approaching this is kinda like suggesting someone mix CDs rather than records, ie akin to blasphemy, but I'm wondering if anyone else finds they can play a whole lot beter if they can print the baoard out and scribble some stuff down.

I don't know if this is equivalent to being weak or cheating, insofar as that - for instance - I've known maths for ages, but I still find that I definitely need to write sums down most of the time; for some reason my memory doesn't seem to have the capacity to hold several things in mind at once.

I don't know if this makes me a better or worse chess player; ie I can anticipate a discourse that would imply that only an immature player would "have to" do such a thing.

I'm just not sure if it is to do with "immaturity" - I make no attempt to pretend my stage is anything else but juvenile - or whether it's simply a matter of approach, as one could deduce with maths.

It's not that my maths is necessarily better or worse than someone who can do sums easily in their head (heh, well I hope); it's just that I need to scribble things down as an aid to memory so that I don't stall interminably.

Ha, after saying all this, I don't have a printer though! (For printing out the chess board at different stages).

Um, something else... I haven't checked out all these chess resources yet... but does anyone know of an electronic interface which basically allows you to mess around with the eventual possibilities that are evoked by a given move?

Does that make sense? Ie, in this interface, one can only move one piece in the hypothetical sense before submitting. Being pretty lame, I need way more insight into how my opponent might move etc. I guess I could attempt to play this out on a real chess board (I have a very romantic Indian one in marble) but it seems like it would be quicker and easier to do this electronically.

I haven't finished even one game electronically! so please be gentle, people... 🙄
  12. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 17:23
    If I understand your question you’re looking for a program that’ll let you tryout different moves then easily go back to the starting position. There are hundreds of free ones, but one of the best is Chesspad which can be downloaded free at:
    http://www.wmlsoftware.com/chesspad.html
    You can also download a free engine, but no fair using it to analyze games in progress.

Or even better is Chessbase Light which is free at
    http://www.chessbase.com/download/cblight/index.asp

You don’t have a printer?! That’s odd. I’ve survived for years w/o a good short term memory…I use those little things called Post It notes.😀
  13. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 17:45
    Originally posted by cat aphanisis
    Hey kids,

waffle, waffle.....

I haven't finished even one game electronically! so please be gentle, people... 🙄
    You introduce yourself in that manner and expect to be treated seriously. Once you finish playing 20 games and you can speak like an adult come back and we can re-assess the situation.
  14. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 11:421 edit
    http://www.chesscentral.com/chess_strategy/chess_strategy.htm Hmm interesting site on strategy from Chess Step by Step by Frank Marshall and J.C.H. Macbeth

Why am I supposed to study Chess Strategy, while I have only a very slender knowledge of the Chess Openings?

- Avoid Moving a Chess Piece Twice During the Opening is a good chess strategy.
    - It is Better Chess Strategy to Develop the Knights before Their Respective Bishops.

Back to basics anyone?
  15. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '07 18:27
    An openings workshop tutorial with Fritz. Fritzie has a training mode to help you learn openings see http://www.chessbase.com/support/workshop.asp?ID=249

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree