Offline chess

Offline chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
12 Sep 07
2 edits

Hi all, its the "noob" again,

I have chessmaster ten for offline chess, I dont really use offline chess much but I wanted one (preferably free) that I could play but more importantly store games on from here, other sites, etc for study offline,is this possible at all?
If so could you recommend a good chess database that does this.
Thank you.

EDIT
I realise how bad that sounds now, I DONT mean for the purpose of getting a computer to play for me, just a place to store all my games so I can look at them when I choose.

z

Moves
12 Sep 07

Originally posted by Pigface1

I have chessmaster ten for offline chess, I dont really use offline chess much but I wanted one (preferably free) that I could play but more importantly store games on from here, other sites, etc for study offline,is this possible at all?
Thank you.

EDIT
I ...[text shortened]... mputer to play for me, just a place to store all my games so I can look at them when I choose.
It is possible. Chessbase light is free but will only holds a max of (I believe) 10,000 games. There are some other ones out there, but I'm not familiar with them (I shelled out for Chessbase 9).

MR

Moves
12 Sep 07
1 edit

Thank you.

EDIT
I ...[text shortened]... mputer to play for me, just a place to store all my games so I can look at them when I choose.
Sure, it's possible to study your games offline. If you go to one of your completed games here, you'll notice an option for getting the PGN of the game. Just copy and paste the PGN data to a text file on your PC, or add it to an existing PGN file on your PC. (A PGN file is just a text file with a .pgn file extension.)

Any chess database program or chess playing program that can import PGN files will work for studying the games. I don't know if CM10 can do this, since I don't have CM and the CM web site doesn't mention details like this. But it should be easy for you to find out from the CM help info.

Arena is a good, free chess playing graphical user interface that can be used with many free chess engines. If you choose to try Arena, I'd download the stable Version 1.1 (either setup 1, 3, or 8 will do). (Go to the Arena Downloads section.)

http://www.playwitharena.com/

You can buy a chess database program like Chessbase or Chess Assistant, but there are also some free ones around. Two good free chess database programs are ChessDB and Scid. These two are very similar, since one is an offshoot of the other. There are minor differences between the two. I haven't kept up with the details of these two programs, but I think Scid is the more popular one. There may have been a recent thread discussing this issue in more detail. I think these two database programs come with an analysis engine built in. (If I'm wrong on any of my information, I'm sure the other guys here will quickly let me know. 🙂)

http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/

P

Moves
12 Sep 07

Thank you both for your replies, I shall look into these.

P

Moves
12 Sep 07

One more question, I have chosen arena 1.1, how do I save a PNG from here to a file that can be read by arena, I tried saving to a text file but of course thats not a PNG file so arena doesnt recognise,.... how do I create a blank PNG file to paste my game info into?

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
12 Sep 07
1 edit

One more question, I have chosen arena 1.1, how do I save a PNG from here to a file that can be read by arena, I tried saving to a text file but of course thats not a PNG file so arena doesnt recognise,.... how do I create a blank PNG file to paste my game info into?
Rename the .txt file to .pgn. Or just open the text file in notepad, and save as .pgn.

Chesspad is the mutt's... http://www.wmlsoftware.com/chesspad.html

[EDIT] PGN, not PNG!

D

P

Moves
12 Sep 07
1 edit

Thank you, and sorry yes PGN not PNG 🙂

Thanks for the link too, most useful.

s

Moves
13 Sep 07
4 edits

SCID is the database program I use and love. 🙂

There's a discussion of it here: Thread 67193

Unlike some of the crippled freeware versions of commercial programs out there, SCID has no limits on the number of games it can store. I have over 3 million games stored in my own database. Plus, SCID runs not only on Windows, but on Linux as well; which is essential for me, as I only use the latter.