1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:40
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    And you let him hit the clock 18 times as hard as he could? I assume it was his clock then. 🙂
    Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. 😕
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:501 edit
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    not anything like that. Once I played against young strong player (about 200 points stronger than I was at the time) who said "this wont last for long" to his friend. and then they laughed.

ironically that game ended up being probably the longest I've ever played, about 4,5 hours.

Another odd was in blitz tournament. I had completely winning position. Su e it accidentally. Of course, I pointed it out and won. Then he just said "Had to try" 😀
    I hate arrogant morons like two you described. I actually took chess serious only to beat one moron who would make fun of me every time we would play, because I was completely new patzer.(After that I fell in love with the game) His IQ is maybe 15 but he played chess 4 hours a day whole year. After I started to study chess, went through basic principles and started to play at 1200 level (which was still pretty bad) he was completely helpless against me. So on the last match score was 10-2 for me, but, suprisingly, I didn't feel the need to make fun of him, he was poor, helpless and watching our games our friends started to make fun of HIM. It is the best punishment for arrogant and rude players.
  3. over there
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:53
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    And you let him hit the clock 18 times as hard as he could? I assume it was his clock then. 🙂
    Yes it was. If it was mine I would have called the TD over. 😉
  4. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 17:21
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Oh yes...the old "Jug Gambit". It often results in some stiff competition. You have to really attack this gambit from all angles to get the proper perspective. Occaisionally you will run into a dead end, but if you sneak around in the bushes enough, you can find the desired solution.
    Lol!

And speaking of arrogant players, I once played a guy who plays really fast. I like to take my time on moves, so after every move he makes he would get up and leave...then he would keep on coming back every minute to check if I moved yet and if I haven't he would sigh really loudly and rudely.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 17:39
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    Yes it was. If it was mine I would have called the TD over. 😉
    In that case, if it was possible to throw in a few extra noncommital moves, yet still keep the win secured, I'd have done that. 😀
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 18:58
    Originally posted by Raven69
    Lol!

And speaking of arrogant players, I once played a guy who plays really fast. I like to take my time on moves, so after every move he makes he would get up and leave...then he would keep on coming back every minute to check if I moved yet and if I haven't he would sigh really loudly and rudely.
    I remember one guy who was a real pain in the ass. Very gruff and always slamming the pieces very demonstratively to let me know he was in charge. At one point in the game, I noticed when he tapped his clock, it was still running. He hadn't hit the button squarely. I laughed inside, but made my move quickly anyway....but I did not make a move toward the clock, because I saw it was already on his time anyway. The jerk must have figured that I forgot to hit my clock and he was content to time me out because he was losing in the game. He acts like he is really studying the board hard and I have figured out what he thinks he is doing. After about 35 minutes, the rube finally looks in the direction of the clock and sees his time is almost gone. He quickly moves, hits the clock, and proceeds to accuse me of cheating for not telling him his clock was running. He calls a TD over to complain and when the idiot explained that I never even touched the clock and his time was running. The TD asked me what happened, I explained that I had seen his hadn't stopped, but I moved within a minute or so and I simply did not reach over and touch the clock. That is when my opponent went into slow down mode because he thought my clock was still running. I felt no obligation to tell him he was still on the clock AFTER I had moved anyway. The TD just laughed and told my opponent that he was a victim of his own stupidity and his lack of conviction came back to bite him. Then the TD re-started the clock and my opponent resigned in a huff.
  7. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 19:52
    Lol 😀

I have had an experience like this, my opponent used a good phsycological effort against me 😉 :

We started the game and during the entire game, he stared right into my face (except when he moved, then right back to staring). It was awful, maybe I was nervous under "The Stare" but I blundered my queen for a knight (?). Anyways, fortunately, I came back somehow and beat him -- I went on to win the tournament lol. (not big - 16 entrants)
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 21:36
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Lol 😀

I have had an experience like this, my opponent used a good phsycological effort against me 😉 :

We started the game and during the entire game, he stared right into my face (except when he moved, then right back to staring). It was awful, maybe I was nervous under "The Stare" but I blundered my queen for a knight (?). Anyways, fortunately, I came back somehow and beat him -- I went on to win the tournament lol. (not big - 16 entrants)
    Yes, I have had opponents utilize the stare. The easiest way to thwart it was to cradle your head in both hands while you study the board while extending the middle finger of both hands toward your temporal lobes. He may not know if you are doing it intentionally or not, but he will think about it and your opponents focus will be diminished.
  9. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 21:541 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Yes, I have had opponents utilize the stare. The easiest way to thwart it was to cradle your head in both hands while you study the board while extending the middle finger of both hands toward your temporal lobes. He may not know if you are doing it intentionally or not, but he will think about it and your opponents focus will be diminished.
    🙂

Just curious, anybody play those people who always have to adjust the pieces with perfect precision?

"adjust, adjust, adjust"

"ummm, wth? the pieces are already in the center...."

"Don't even think about touching my knight you #$*%."

All in my head of course.
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 22:06
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    🙂

Just curious, anybody play those people who always have to adjust the pieces with perfect precision?

"adjust, adjust, adjust"

"ummm, wth? the pieces are already in the center...."

"Don't even think about touching my knight you #$*%."

All in my head of course.
    Hang on a minute, I need to adjust your text margins.

Yes I have played players like that. Some Psychologists say it is a nervous disorder, some say it is obsessive-compulsive behaviour, and some say it is a need to be touching things to know they are in sync with the universe. It never bothered me though. I would simply re-adjust the pieces off centered and make sure I would always land a moved piece where it slightly straddles the square I was moving to. Talk about messing with the minds!!!!
  11. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 23:21
    I was paired against a 2300 opponent. After about 12-15 moves he jumps up and starts shouting, “(expletive deleted)! Quit that (expletive deleted) rocking! How the (expletive deleted) am I supposed to think when you’re doing all that (expletive deleted) rocking! (expletive deleted).” Then he sits down like nothing happened. For the rest of the game I sit quiet as a mouse afraid to move a muscle. So does everybody around us.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 23:34
    Originally posted by masscat
    I was paired against a 2300 opponent. After about 12-15 moves he jumps up and starts shouting, “(expletive deleted)! Quit that (expletive deleted) rocking! How the (expletive deleted) am I supposed to think when you’re doing all that (expletive deleted) rocking! (expletive deleted).” Then he sits down like nothing happened. For the rest of the game I sit quiet as a mouse afraid to move a muscle. So does everybody around us.
    This is a bit off the path, but still funny as hell. I played in several tournaments(a lower division though) with a Master who was part of our local chess club. He was an excellent player but he had one bad habit that we used to laugh about when he played tournaments. He had a nervous habit of twirling his finger in his hair (it was longish...shoulder length) like you would get spaghetti on a fork. After a while, the clump of hair would be so tightly would and matted, that he would take out his pocket knife and cut the mat loose. Then he would start on another twirl. By the time the tournament was over, his head looked like an uneven knappy carpet and he would have to go to the barber shop and get them to cut his hair short. He only played the larger tournaments, so his hair would usually have time to recover before his next one, but we would laugh our ass off watching him do it. Strange but true.
  13. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 23:38
    Last round…I’m in the hall getting a drink. The whinny-voiced kid sitting next to me is out there also. He’s was telling all his friends how he is beating the crap out of his opponent (a well-respected veteran down a couple hundred points from his peak) and denigrating the old man’s play. He’s telling everybody how many rating points he’s going get and how much prize money he’s going to win. So a few minutes later back at the board everybody in the room here’s this loud bang as a piece is slammed down then a brief moment of silence. Then kid says “Aw, ****! I resign.” Then he burst into tears and fled the room. Seems he hung his Queen.
  14. washington
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 23:38
    lol i have seen a guy at a local club twirl his mustache but he left with it in tact. i think its funny when people slam the pieces like their so powerful even funnier when they stop doing it when thier losing lol
  15. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 23:50
    Originally posted by kmac27
    i think its funny when people slam the pieces like their so powerful even funnier when they stop doing it when thier losing lol
    Yeah. I had an opponent study the position for 15 min. then looked up & told me he was announcing mate in 8. Told him I didn’t see it and wanted to play it out. So he muttered something & went & fetched the TD who told him, “You ain’t Morphy. Play it out.” So every move he slammed the piece down and hammered the clock (mine). That didn’t bother me so much as the fact he mated me in eight.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree