1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Apr '07 22:20
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    I once had an opponent who was talking to his pieces. When I told this to my dog, he almost fainted from laughter.
    Reminds me of the chess joke about the old man playing chess in the park against his dog. After a while, quite a crowd starts to gather and watch as the game progressed. As the game was drawing to a close, one of the members of the crowd says to the old man "That dog of yours has got to be the smartest dog in the world!" The old man replies "he isn't so smart, I'm leading him 3 games to 2."
  2. Playing with matches
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 13:26
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Reminds me of the chess joke about the old man playing chess in the park against his dog. After a while, quite a crowd starts to gather and watch as the game progressed. As the game was drawing to a close, one of the members of the crowd says to the old man "That dog of yours has got to be the smartest dog in the world!" The old man replies "he isn't so smart, I'm leading him 3 games to 2."
    That reminds me of the time during the Welsh National Chamionships when a bunch of sheep dogs and a couple of drunken Welsh sheep herders pursued a flock of recently sheared sheep into the Tournament Hall. The chaos was unbelievable. Kasparov's 2nd Cousin, Gustav, was badly mauled during the ensuing riot by several Welsh fans.
  3. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 13:30
    Originally posted by Raven69
    😠

It helps me focus on my game! Is that a crime?
    Of course not... But in a while some nice men wil come to pick you up.. They will bring you a nice white jacket and you'll be in a room just for yourself... 😛
  4. USA
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 14:30
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Online chess has many merits and several detriments versus playing live games. I enjoy the fact that you can simultaneously be playing games against competitors all over the world without any travel expense. You can play when you like in the comfort of your own surroundings. You can dress like a slob (and there are a ton of you that do because I have pl ...[text shortened]... gamesmanship efforts similar to these? In some of your cases, you have probably used them. LOL
    I remember at an OTB tournament that this one guy, rated about 1400, didn't know the rules as well(such as have to keep notating even if your sheet is full, move before you notate). He was playing a 1250 kid. The kid kept telling him the rules he wasn't following and the guy told the kid to shut up several times. The kid lost, and then his dad complained to the TD that the saying "shut up" had upset the kid. The TD then made the guy give an official apology to the kid.

Although, if the kid had won, I doubt he would've complained.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 14:32
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    I remember at an OTB tournament that this one guy, rated about 1400, didn't know the rules as well(such as have to keep notating even if your sheet is full, move before you notate). He was playing a 1250 kid. The kid kept telling him the rules he wasn't following and the guy told the kid to shut up several times. The kid lost, and then his dad complained ...[text shortened]... icial apology to the kid.

Although, if the kid had won, I doubt he would've complained.
    I would have apologized to the kid, then beat the crap out of the dad for being ANOTHER whiney parent that needs to keep their mouth shut and teach their kid that not everybody is going to hold their hand.
  6. Playing with matches
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 17:14
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I would have apologized to the kid, then beat the crap out of the dad for being ANOTHER whiney parent that needs to keep their mouth shut and teach their kid that not everybody is going to hold their hand.
    I would have stink palmed him.
  7. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 18:55
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Of course not... But in a while some nice men wil come to pick you up.. They will bring you a nice white jacket and you'll be in a room just for yourself... 😛
    Really? A free jacket and a whole room to myself? How lovely...! 🙂
  8. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 20:55
    Really? A free jacket and a whole room to myself? How lovely...! 🙂
    I know... All just for you!
  9. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 00:33
    I feel so special...
  10. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 11:29
    I feel so special...
    And you are special! 😛 😉
  11. USA
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 15:44
    Originally posted by masscat
    Last round…I’m in the hall getting a drink. The whinny-voiced kid sitting next to me is out there also. He’s was telling all his friends how he is beating the crap out of his opponent (a well-respected veteran down a couple hundred points from his peak) and denigrating the old man’s play. He’s telling everybody how many rating points he’s going get and how ...[text shortened]... says “Aw, ****! I resign.” Then he burst into tears and fled the room. Seems he hung his Queen.
    serves him right!
  12. USA
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 15:50
    I remember a few years ago at a tournament I was playing this guy rated about 900 (I was unrated then since this was an unrated tournament but I believe I was about 900-950). He would always stand up after I make a move and play extremely fast. It kept distracting me and made me play fast and blunder. I learned a lesson that day, and the next time I played him, he did the same thing but I kept my cool and beat him.
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 15:58
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    I remember a few years ago at a tournament I was playing this guy rated about 900 (I was unrated then since this was an unrated tournament but I believe I was about 900-950). He would always stand up after I make a move and play extremely fast. It kept distracting me and made me play fast and blunder. I learned a lesson that day, and the next time I played him, he did the same thing but I kept my cool and beat him.
    I got beat hard by some kid missing an arm and a leg. It was unrated and I had already played about 5 or 6 games (most at 30-0 time control) so I wasn't really in the mood to play. But his missing limbs seriously distracted me, I kept trying to think about the game but all I could think was "I'm getting mauled by a kid without limbs..." Anyhow, I don't think the game even lasted 20 moves. I've never played him again - but if I did I'd try a bit harder to think about the game...

BTW he was a pretty good player anyhow, I think he told me he was rated in the 1600s.
  14. Playing with matches
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 16:44
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I got beat hard by some kid missing an arm and a leg. It was unrated and I had already played about 5 or 6 games (most at 30-0 time control) so I wasn't really in the mood to play. But his missing limbs seriously distracted me, I kept trying to think about the game but all I could think was "I'm getting mauled by a kid without limbs..." Anyhow, I don't ...[text shortened]...

BTW he was a pretty good player anyhow, I think he told me he was rated in the 1600s.
    I bet you could have kicked his ass though... so you have that going for you anyway.
  15. Richmond Hill
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 23:461 edit
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    I bet you could have kicked his ass though... so you have that going for you anyway.
    It would depend on how big his arm was. I wonder if not having any limbs to learn how to use frees up more brain storage for chess? Maybe I suck because I have all my body parts.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree