1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 15:34
    Online chess has many merits and several detriments versus playing live games. I enjoy the fact that you can simultaneously be playing games against competitors all over the world without any travel expense. You can play when you like in the comfort of your own surroundings. You can dress like a slob (and there are a ton of you that do because I have played many tournaments) and no one will notice you. (I am an exception in that regard since I am always dressed well....my image you know...lol). Some of the disadvantages to online are the sorry two dimensional boards, mouses that slip (not a problem at RHP but a major pain at UChess and the like), the radiation that we endure from prolonged exposure (that is why online players have nice tans).

However, one thing I never missed online versus live tournament play was some of the tricks opponents would employ to distract you or upset your game. Here are some of my experiences if you would like a laugh.

1. I had one opponent who aksed me before my first move if I wanted to resign. I declined and made my move and he asked me again prior to my second move.....and third move....and fourth move all the way to the 20th move when I told him I would kill myself before I would ever resign to him. He commented that I was rude.

2. I had one opponent who sang the lyrics to a song I absolutely hated (it was a coincidence I am sure since I had never met him before and he could not have known I hated the song, but the match lasted 2 1/2 hours and I was sick of listening to it. I was disappointed that the tournament director would not stop him from singing because he was singing quite softly, so it was bothering only me.

3. But the most classic effort was from a guy that I had beaten on three prior occasions and he shows up to our match after having consumed three cloves of fresh garlic. The guy was gassing me out with every exhale. I asked him not to breathe in my direction but he was relentless. I called the tournament director over and asked if anything could be done about the situation and the TD took one whiff of the guy's breath and told him to get rid of the smell or forfeit the match!! A victory in itself for me.

Have any of you ever encountered gamesmanship efforts similar to these? In some of your cases, you have probably used them. LOL
  2. back in business
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:011 edit
    not anything like that. Once I played against young strong player (about 200 points stronger than I was at the time) who said "this wont last for long" to his friend. and then they laughed.

ironically that game ended up being probably the longest I've ever played, about 4,5 hours.

Another odd was in blitz tournament. I had completely winning position. Suddenly my opponent made an illegal move. I don't remember what he moved but it was so ridiculous move that I couldn't believe he made it accidentally. Of course, I pointed it out and won. Then he just said "Had to try" 😀
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:02
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    not anything like that. Once I played against young strong player (about 200 points stronger than I was at the time) who said "this wont last for long" to his friend. and then they laughed.

ironically that game ended up being probably the longest I've ever played, about 4,5 hours.
    Who won?
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:04
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Have any of you ever encountered gamesmanship efforts similar to these? In some of your cases, you have probably used them. LOL
    Luckily, I haven't had the bad experiences that you've had, although if I keep playing otb long enough, it will probably happen to me. Maybe I've just been lucky to be playing a relatively good group of people.

If the first example were to happen in one of my games, I'd give my opponent a steely glare upon the first draw offer. I'd give him another menacing glare upon the second. And if he made a third draw offer on the third move, I'd stop the clock, summon the TD, and explain that my opponent is exhibiting annoying behavior. There are rules in place to prevent this type of behavior.

In your second example, the TD was wrong to not do anything. If that had happened to me, I'd have filed a formal appeal to the USCF.
  5. back in business
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:06
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Who won?
    it was a draw.
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:10
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Luckily, I haven't had the bad experiences that you've had, although if I keep playing otb long enough, it will probably happen to me. Maybe I've just been lucky to be playing a relatively good group of people.

If the first example were to happen in one of my games, I'd give my opponent a steely glare upon the first draw offer. I'd give him another menac ...[text shortened]... not do anything. If that had happened to me, I'd have filed a formal appeal to the USCF.
    I agree with your comments. In fact, in the second instance I did appeal and the TD was admonished and relieved of his duties for 3 months.

Fortunately, in all three of the instances I won the matches, so all was well, just a bit more difficult than they should have been.

In regard to the perpetual resignation question, my Father told me of a novel way to handle it if it ever came up again, although I could never really do it. He said I should stare directly into my opponent's face, make my first move, pull out a pistol and cock it, and tell him about what a bad loser I was.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:11
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    it was a draw.
    🙂 Did you say anything to him afterwards?
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:14
    In regard to the perpetual resignation question, my Father told me of a novel way to handle it if it ever came up again, although I could never really do it. He said I should stare directly into my opponent's face, make my first move, pull out a pistol and cock it, and tell him about what a bad loser I was.
    Hmm, Dirty Harry Plays Chess? Might be a good movie, hehe.
  9. back in business
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:15
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    🙂 Did you say anything to him afterwards?
    nope. he left pretty quickly and so did I.
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:17
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Hmm, Dirty Harry Plays Chess? Might be a good movie, hehe.
    "Ok punk, are you feeling lucky, or do you want to resign now?"
  11. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:24
    I once played a guy who I used to like, and he was wearing a buttoned shirt with a few top buttons undone....it distracted me to no end. 😳

At another time I played a girl with a very open shirt, I didn't like her or anything but it still managed to distract me. 😵
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:35
    Originally posted by Raven69
    I once played a guy who I used to like, and he was wearing a buttoned shirt with a few top buttons undone....it distracted me to no end. 😳

At another time I played a girl with a very open shirt, I didn't like her or anything but it still managed to distract me. 😵
    Oh yes...the old "Jug Gambit". It often results in some stiff competition. You have to really attack this gambit from all angles to get the proper perspective. Occaisionally you will run into a dead end, but if you sneak around in the bushes enough, you can find the desired solution.
  13. over there
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:36
    I played one guy that would hit the clock as hard as he could with his fist after every move. I mated him in 18 moves, but if it went on any longer, the clock might have broke.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:39
    Oh yes...the old "Jug Gambit". It often results in some stiff competition. You have to really attack this gambit from all angles to get the proper perspective. Occaisionally you will run into a dead end, but if you sneak around in the bushes enough, you can find the desired solution.
    I think there's a metaphor or two in there. 😕
  15. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 16:40
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    I played one guy that would hit the clock as hard as he could with his fist after every move. I mated him in 18 moves, but if it went on any longer, the clock might have broke.
    And you let him hit the clock 18 times as hard as he could? I assume it was his clock then. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree