1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 11:01
    Originally posted by vipiu
    appologies accepted, but I was not talking about "annoying 1300+ people"...it was not about the ratings of the guys who opened the invites, it was about the wanted opponents...
    I currently see a number of open invites from players 1800+ who want opponents
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 11:081 edit
    The truth is that if you want to play CC chess a lot it is far better to subscribe. Tournaments, clans etc. And you won't wait your opponent for the eternity. 29$ a year it is really cheap.
  3. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 11:12
    Originally posted by vipiu
    I am not a subscriber...so I have only 6 slots for games...Now I have just finished a game..and opened Open Invites to get a new one...
    What do I see there ?
    about 5-6 links that can provide me a new game(by the way, i am somehow 1800+)...let me check them:
    first one...a player about 1300...that wants to play against 1700+...nah, too low, I will not take th ...[text shortened]... uld restrict this somehow...

I again close the Open Invites and I still have a free slot....
    There was a site I used to play on alot called www.sachy.sk (a player called nagual told me about it) and on there they only allow players to challenge up to 200 points higher then their rating. As they progress further then they become worthy of higher opposition and get the chance to take them on.
    Also, once you had unlocked the higher rating challenges they were always open to you, which was quite nice.
  4. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 11:16
    Same at GameKnot but I find it annoying. Imagine frustration to come back to your rating if you drop 800 points by timeouts.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 11:251 edit
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    There was a site I used to play on alot called www.sachy.sk (a player called nagual told me about it) and on there they only allow players to challenge up to 200 points higher then their rating. As they progress further then they become worthy of higher opposition and get the chance to take them on.
    Also, once you had unlocked the higher rating challenges they were always open to you, which was quite nice.
    Right after I read this...I went to another site and the first thing I see is somebody talking about sachy.sk! weird...

EDIT: prior to this experience I had never heard of this site...
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 11:28
    grandmaster20 1464 White 7 days 7 days Yes Jan 09 2008 10:20 (1800 - 2500)

LOL

someone needs to prove themselfs to be a GM before they limit the people they challange LOL
  7. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 11:341 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Right after I read this...I went to another site and the first thing I see is somebody talking about sachy.sk! weird...

It is like when you don't see some person for two years and then someone mentions it or you think about it and the next hour or day you meet that person.

It happens often 😕
  8. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 11:47
    I've noticed as well in the Open Invites the tendency toward setting the minimum rating 300, 400, 500 and more points above the player's own rating. Personally the last thing I want is a game against someone 300 or more points below my rating, there is just no challenge there, and I suspect the same holds true for many others too, so why do they bother? Playing someone that much higher rated isn't much more appealing either.

I prefer my opponents within about 200 points of my own rating as I expect the games there to be the most combative. So I don't get why so many people post those kinds of invites either.
  9. Dublin
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 12:14
    The simple answer is to post your own open invite with sensible rating limits. You're not alone in not wanting games with people 400 points lower than you, if you post an invite with limits around your rating, like-minded people will accept.
  10. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 12:31
    I used to grumble about those unacceptable "open invites" to Russ, then he changed the list order so that all the "accept game offer" games were at the top of the page. Now I don't even bother reading through the list of rubbish games, if there isn't an "accept game" I like I just straightaway put up an Open Invite of my own, with rating limits 150 above and below my own rating. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes before the game is taken. Admittedly I sometimes get really slow playing opponents, so for Open Invites I always do 1/0 and specify "no timebanks" as an additional warning to potential opponents. Just ignore the idiots at the bottom of the page, they get deleted automatically after a week or so anyway, and think of Open Invites as a 3-or-4-line choice only. 🙂
  11. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 14:11
    Originally posted by Schumi
    The simple answer is to post your own open invite with sensible rating limits. You're not alone in not wanting games with people 400 points lower than you, if you post an invite with limits around your rating, like-minded people will accept.
    This is what i do and it's served me well so far.

Unfortunately I often have to post the same request three or four times as although i clearly specify rating requirements of opponents this is often ignored. This is sometimes, no doubt, due to players being new but certainly not always. (Also for a while I thought there might be a language issue until I realised 1600+ or whatever means 1600+ regardless of the language).

This is somewhere between a minor irritation and a pain in the arse depending on how often it happens but ultimately it's not a big deal.
  12. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 14:23

sachy.sk is a pretty good site. I think I would prefer it if I could understand more slovakian as I might have been able to join the teams or play tournaments.

I have not played there since I subscribed here, the infinate games for subscribers makes it not worth having to open up multiple browsers.
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 14:24
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    This is what i do and it's served me well so far.

Unfortunately I often have to post the same request three or four times as although i clearly specify rating requirements of opponents this is often ignored. This is sometimes, no doubt, due to players being new but certainly not always. (Also for a while I thought there might be a language i ...[text shortened]... n and a pain in the arse depending on how often it happens but ultimately it's not a big deal.
    you can make it so that ONLY 1600 + accept and anyone under won't be able to.
  14. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 14:37
    you can make it so that ONLY 1600 + accept and anyone under won't be able to.
    Really?

I don't see an option that does that. How do you set that up then?
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 14:41
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    Really?

I don't see an option that does that. How do you set that up then?
    Above where it says "start game" there should be a "Advanced options" link...once you click that the rest should be easy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree