1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 18:44
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    I was playing a friendly with someone from our chess club yesterday and he forgot to press the clock, I immediately told him but asked if he would do the same in a league game or just sit and wait to move (with his opponents clock ticking), he said probably. I am begining to change my mind on this, previoulsy I think that I would have told my opponent (we ...[text shortened]... e do this or are there some that would tell their opponents?

I've only played 2 seasons otb.
    If my opponent forgets to press his clock I have loads of extra thinking time, so I put it to good use.
  2. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 21:05
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    If my opponent forgets to press his clock I have loads of extra thinking time, so I put it to good use.
    ...by going to the bar....
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 22:28
    In a friendly game, I'd give my opponent some time to notice and then remind them. In a tournament game, I never tell them unless I don't think they are used to playing timed games, in which case I'll remind them once or twice. And never if the guy forgets to punch his clock and then starts to walk around.

Remembering to hit your clock is something you have to get used to if you are playing OTB. You really aren't doing someone if a favor if they regularly forget to hit the clock and you always remind them. Maybe they'll remember better if they lose on time once or twice.
  4. Joined
    17 Dec '02
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 01:34
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I've been playing OTB chess for 25 years and one thing I've found is that if you can convince your opponent that you are a really nice guy then he won't mind losing to you. If you aggravate him in any way, for example by refusing to shake hands at the start, snorting in derision when he deviates from theory on move 2 or by not telling him when he hasn't pressed his clock then he can become more determined and play well above himself.
    I think I too will heed the voice of wisdom and experience. Thanks for your input.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 01:522 edits
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I've been playing OTB chess for 25 years and one thing I've found is that if you can convince your opponent that you are a really nice guy then he won't mind losing to you. If you aggravate him in any way, for example by refusing to shake hands at the start, snorting in derision when he deviates from theory on move 2 or by not telling him when he hasn't pressed his clock then he can become more determined and play well above himself.
    That's a very interesting insight! Maybe Leo "The Lip" Durocher was wrong when he said, "Nice guys finish last." Maybe being a nice guy can actually help you to win more games!
  6. Joined
    13 Sep '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 02:20
    I was playing a friendly with someone from our chess club yesterday and he forgot to press the clock, I immediately told him but asked if he would do the same in a league game or just sit and wait to move (with his opponents clock ticking), he said probably. I am begining to change my mind on this, previoulsy I think that I would have told my opponent (we ...[text shortened]... e do this or are there some that would tell their opponents?

Are you winning?
  7. Joined
    13 Sep '07
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 04:07
    I have seen a fellow win a game in that manner. At the time it did not seem very sporting, and those few of us watching the game became very uneasy as the game ended on time. Of course, the one who forgot though he had won, until his error was pointed out. I have had, as anyone who plays OTB enough, many instances of an opponent not clocking after a move. I will always let them know, although if it happens more than a couple of times, I will definitly use "his" time to my advantage.
  8. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 05:133 edits
    You won't believe this, but I only started this thread yesterday and on the way to a match last night in Surbiton I brought the subject up with my team mates and said that we should have an agreed policy. During our match, which is a one hour game:

My opponent on board 2 forgot to hit his clock, but I did not notice until I tried to push mine down, the problem here is that it was during a very complicated position and at the time I had a 10 min time advantage which I wanted to maintain because my position was poor and I was beginning to think my only chance of winning/drawing was with the clock. Now if I had noticed I could have let his clock run for longer and analysed the position for longer (as you say). But I definitely could have used that extra time.

On board one our player forgot to hit his clock in the endgame and lost on time! (he probably would have lost on time in any case as he was down to 3 mins and his opponent had about 7 mins).

It gets better though after these occurrences in our match, I said that we need to have a policy on what we ill do as a team, this will help us make the right decision at a time when we should be thinking about the game not other things. One of the guys said this would be handy because in a previous match (last season) his opponent clearly deliberately touched a piece with his whole hand but then changed his mind and moved another piece, but my team mate didn't want to make a fuss as the guy did not speak very good English. So tonight at the club I am going to get the team to agree what we should do in various circumstances:

The tricky ones for me are:

If someone gets their castling wrong by touching their rook first, is it reasonable to insist that they move their rook only, when you know they actually did want to castle?

If someone's mobile goes off should we claim the game (this actually happened to me and I let my opponent off), as you know the rules in the Surrey league are that if your mobile rings you loss the game.

Does anyone know what happens if a dispute arises (I need to know as I am team Capt. of our rapidplay team) and the Capt. is still playing his game, can I stop my clock to intervene. I am assuming here that as obviously there is no TD the 2 team Capt.’s would have to or should get involved?

Based on our brief discussion last night out of the 4 of us, 1 thought we should sit and let the opponent's time elapse, but the rest of us thought that we should take 2/3 mins longer to study the board then move, I think this will become our policy on this subject to hearing the opinions of a few others tonight. I personally would strongly disagree with just sitting there as I think its unsporting behaviour.

Edit: wow so many typo's needed correcting above
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 07:381 edit
    You won't believe this, but I only started this thread yesterday and on the way to a match last night in Surbiton I brought the subject up with my team mates and said that we should have an agreed policy. During our match, which is a one hour game:

My opponent on board 2 forgot to hit his clock, but I did not notice until I tried to push mine down, the re as I think its unsporting behaviour.

Edit: wow so many typo's needed correcting above
    You could just stick with the rules of course but here is what I would do.

If someone gets their castling wrong by touching their rook first, is it reasonable to insist that they move their rook only, when you know they actually did want to castle?

If it was obvious they were going to castle I'd probably let them get away with this although I know many players who would not.

If someone's mobile goes off should we claim the game (this actually happened to me and I let my opponent off), as you know the rules in the Surrey league are that if mobile rings you loss the game.

Early in the game I'd probably just ask them to switch if off (although other players may complain and take it out of my hands) but later (especially if my time was tight and I was badly distracted) I might just claim the win

Does anyone know what happens if a dispute arises (I need to know as I am team Capt. of our rapidplay team) and the Capt. is still playing his game, can I stop my clock to intervene. I am assuming here that as obviously there is no TD the 2 team Capt.’s would have to or should get involved?

I would ask my opponent if I could do this. Hopefully he would be sensible and agree but I have had many instances where as captain disputes in other games have distracted me sufficiently to result in me playing badly.

Based on our brief discussion last night out of the 4 of us, 1 thought we should sit and let the opponent's time elapse, but the rest of us thought that we should take 2/3 mins longer to study the board then move, I think this will become our policy on this subject to hearing the opinions of a few others tonight. I personally would strongly disagree with just sitting there as I think its unsporting behaviour.

I would take a reasonable time depending on the position. If the position was complex and my time was short that would be more time than if my clock were ticking but if the move was obvious and my time was not an issue I'd probably just take a few more seconds more than normal checking things out.

Finally who I was playing would make a big difference. If I was playing a known "jerk" I would apply the rules rigorously and take maximum advantage of any slips he makes with the clock whereas if the guy was known to be a decent fair player or was a novice whom I expected to beat easily I'd be more inclined to point things out to him and let him get away with small errors like these.
  10. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 08:021 edit
    You could just stick with the rules of course but here is what I would do.

[b]If it was obvious they were going to castle I'd probably let them get away with this altho e inclined to point things out to him and let him get away with small errors like these.
    Thanks, that's helpful, you tend to take the same approach as I think that I should do and feel comfortable with and will voice this, this evening at our club.
  11. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 19:231 edit
    In a friendly game I remind my opponent to press his clock. In a game that counts, I never say anything during the game other than to offer a draw. I have sit there while my opponent times out at least a couple of times. He is an opponent, and I am not a baby sitter. 😉
  12. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 19:50
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    I have sit there while my opponent times out at least a couple of times. He is an opponent, and I am not a baby sitter. 😉
    I accept your approach. However, for me, if I've travelled to play a game of chess, and gave up some spare time to do so, the last thing I want to do is watch a clock tick. Consider the extreme where an opponent plays one move and then let's his time run out without playing. Would I be happy? Of course not. If there was significant money at stake - i.e. it paid me to do so - then that may be an exception.
  13. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 20:29
    Originally posted by Varenka
    I accept your approach. However, for me, if I've travelled to play a game of chess, and gave up some spare time to do so, the last thing I want to do is watch a clock tick. Consider the extreme where an opponent plays one move and then let's his time run out without playing. Would I be happy? Of course not. If there was significant money at stake - i.e. it paid me to do so - then that may be an exception.
    I don't watch the clock tick my friend, it is free time for me to look at the board and evaluate. 😉
  14. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 20:35
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    I don't watch the clock tick my friend, it is free time for me to look at the board and evaluate. 😉
    But I don't need an opponent to allow me to look at a board and evaluate. I need an opponent to actually make moves and challenge my evaluations. i.e. play a game of chess
  15. USA
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 21:05

I only tell the opponent if I am in a completely winning position so I can win faster. I know, I'm a jerk 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree