1. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 14:53
    I am fairly new to otb chess and was quite suprised to see a poll of annoying things players do include 2 things that I have (not always) done in league matches. They were say 'check' I know there is no need to but occassionally I have said it and the other which I have done a few times is to point out my last move when my opponent has been to the toilet and I moved in his absence. Are these 2 things rude? I actually thought I was being polite.
  2. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 14:57
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    I am fairly new to otb chess and was quite suprised to see a poll of annoying things players do include 2 things that I have (not always) done in league matches. They were say 'check' I know there is no need to but occassionally I have said it and the other which I have done a few times is to point out my last move when my opponent has been to the toilet and I moved in his absence. Are these 2 things rude? I actually thought I was being polite.
    It might be taken the wrong way depending on the player. Similar to offering draws more than 3 times during a game can be taken the wrong way. If your opponent is of sufficient rating, they should know that they are in check or know what has changed on the board without you telling them. To do otherwise is to insult their intelligence.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 15:01
    I've been playing chess for almost thirty years and both of these are perfectly polite.

Most stronger players don't bother to say check, but some do and I don't think anyone takes offence, unless it is said extremely loudly.

I always point out my last move to my opponent if I happen to move whilst he is away. It's probably unnecessary but it may save him a second or two. I've noticed that some players not only don't tell their opponent what move they made but make a point of hiding their scoresheet! I don't know what the rules say about this sort of thing, do you have to tell your opponent what your last move was if he asks you?
  4. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 15:06
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    It might be taken the wrong way depending on the player. Similar to offering draws more than 3 times during a game can be taken the wrong way. If your opponent is of sufficient rating, they should know that they are in check or know what has changed on the board without you telling them. To do otherwise is to insult their intelligence.
    Yes I can see what you are saying I will make sure that I stop, I always offer a draw in my own time and I am aware that it should not be offered too often. I would not resort to gamesmanship, in fact my opponents mobile telephone went off a few months ago, I could have instantly claimed a win, but I didn't (we eventually agreed a draw...many moves later nothing to do with his mobile) although afterwards my team captain said I should have claimed the win, but I still think I would ignore it if it happens again.
  5. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 15:07
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I've been playing chess for almost thirty years and both of these are perfectly polite.

Most stronger players don't bother to say check, but some do and I don't think anyone takes offence, unless it is said extremely loudly.

I always point out my last move to my opponent if I happen to move whilst he is away. It's probably unnecessary but it may save ...[text shortened]... sort of thing, do you have to tell your opponent what your last move was if he asks you?
    ahh well I think I will stop saying check but still carry on pointing out the last move, thanks
  6. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 15:10

I always point out my last move to my opponent if I happen to move whilst he is away. It's probably unnecessary but it may save ...[text shortened]... sort of thing, do you have to tell your opponent what your last move was if he asks you?
    No you don't, and few strong players would bother informing their opponents of their last move. It's not really a matter of manners (though hiding your scoresheet is a bit petty). If you're away from the board at the time your opponent moves, that's your problem!
    However, I would say it would be a very insensitive and unreasonable player who actually complained of an opponent who did inform them of their last move or announce check out loud, since both are fairly common practice at the level of club chess.
  7. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 15:12
    I got in hot water this season.

My opponent picked up his bishop, a losing move, and was about to move it to a square before he realised the danger and put it back.

After about a minute I politely enquired whether he was going to move that piece. To which he got quite shirty about.

After the game he informed me that as someone who played 20 chess for 20 years he was fully aware of the rules.

I won the game off that move, so I feel he had a right to be a little peeved.
  8. Standard membercludi
    Blogger
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 15:19
    I never say check and I never inform my opponent of my last move (wouldn't hide my scoresheet, though 🙂 )
    If an opponent did any of the two to me, I would definitely think it was a bit odd, but not see it as rude behaviour at all.
  9. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 15:20
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    I got in hot water this season.

My opponent picked up his bishop, a losing move, and was about to move it to a square before he realised the danger and put it back.

After about a minute I politely enquired whether he was going to move that piece. To which he got quite shirty about.

After the game he informed me that as someone who played 20 chess ...[text shortened]... e of the rules.

I won the game off that move, so I feel he had a right to be a little peeved.
    Lat week I had a won game, but in a momet of blindness picked up my queen and started to take a pawn thinking I was skewing both his unprotected rooks which would have finished the game. At the point of touching his pawn I realized I was blundering! I asked the room "sorry but I need some advice here, I am making a move and realised I am blundering, I know I have to move my queen but do I have to take the pawn" (I was about 99% certain I was doomed but just did not know the rules well enough). I wasn't trying to get out of anything I was just seeking clarification. Upon hearing the inevitable I immediately resigned and congratualed my opponent (I was gutted inside but managed to keep my composure)
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 15:20
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    No you don't, and few strong players would bother informing their opponents of their last move. It's not really a matter of manners (though hiding your scoresheet is a bit petty). If you're away from the board at the time your opponent moves, that's your problem!
    However, I would say it would be a very insensitive and unreasonable player who actually ...[text shortened]... r announce check out loud, since both are fairly common practice at the level of club chess.
    I usually visit the toilet ~30 times in an average OTB game. When I return and my opponent tells me his move, I laugh to myself. I can see the freakin board for the big guy's sake!

Perhaps I should be insulted. With that many bathroom trips, he should be accusing me of looking at the position on Pocket Fritz.

My club is small and casual. A lot of things that normally would be considered rude happen without anyone taking notice. Some players yak all through the game; some say check loudly; and cell phones ring (never without immediate censure--but one must be careful: I joked that a player whose phone rang should be forfeited, but his opponent went nuts and tried to demand that very thing. One must remember who the emotionally unstable players are before speaking.)
  11. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 15:27
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I usually visit the toilet ~30 times in an average OTB game. When I return and my opponent tells me his move, I laugh to myself. I can see the freakin board for the big guy's sake!

Perhaps I should be insulted. With that many bathroom trips, he should be accusing me of looking at the position on Pocket Fritz.

My club is small and casual. A lot of thing ...[text shortened]... d that very thing. One must remember who the emotionally unstable players are before speaking.)
    If it's a rated game it should have been.😀
  12. Joined
    28 Sep '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 15:32
    in my club, there is a sign posted on the wall stating that if your cell phone goes off you lose 2 minutes off your clock. that is their way of dealing with it.
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 15:33
    Originally posted by Stockton
    in my club, there is a sign posted on the wall stating that if your cell phone goes off you lose 2 minutes off your clock. that is their way of dealing with it.
    I'll suggest that.
  14. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 15:33

I say check, but very quietly.

I have always thought of pointing out a move played while my opponent was away from the board as a courtesy, but I don't always do it, without going into detail I'll just say that some opponents have discouraged me from doing things I consider courteous.

FIDE rules state that scoresheets should be visible to the arbiter at all times. So if your opponent completely obscures their scoresheet from view then they are cheating.
  15. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 15:40
    Yes I can see what you are saying I will make sure that I stop, I always offer a draw in my own time and I am aware that it should not be offered too often. I would not resort to gamesmanship, in fact my opponents mobile telephone went off a few months ago, I could have instantly claimed a win, but I didn't (we eventually agreed a draw...many moves later n ...[text shortened]... in said I should have claimed the win, but I still think I would ignore it if it happens again.
    FIDE Handbook 9. Drawn Game

9.1 A player wishing to offer a draw shall do so after having made a move on the chessboard and before stopping his clock and starting the opponent`s clock. An offer at any other time during play is still valid, but Article 12.6 must be considered. No conditions can be attached to the offer. In both cases the offer cannot be withdrawn and remains valid until the opponent accepts it, rejects it orally, rejects it by touching a piece with the intention of moving or capturing it, or the game is concluded in some other way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree