1. USA
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 23:01
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    I am fairly new to otb chess and was quite suprised to see a poll of annoying things players do include 2 things that I have (not always) done in league matches. They were say 'check' I know there is no need to but occassionally I have said it and the other which I have done a few times is to point out my last move when my opponent has been to the toilet and I moved in his absence. Are these 2 things rude? I actually thought I was being polite.
    Just last week a kid was playing an adult at a local tournament. The adult kept breaking USCF rules and while the kid was trying to explain how he had to continue notating, and it is ok to adjust more than one piece at a time, and etc., the adult told the kid to shut up several times. Finally the kid got very upset and ended up leaving the tournament after briefly speaking to the TD.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 23:061 edit
    In OTB games I never say check. If my opponent goes to move a piece he can not because of being in check, I will then point it out. If he is away to the bathroom, and I have moved, I don't point out my move but leave my moves sheet so he/she can see it. I always say "good game" or "Well done", if my opponent has won. If I have won i say: "thank you for the game", and never good game. It is especially bad to say good game if your opponent has left a piece hanging, and this is the reason for the loss! This is what I have learned in my OTB games.
  3. London
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 00:25
    Originally posted by Irax
    When I get back to a board after a toilet break, if someone points out a move to me I just want to shout, "No st Sherlock!!". I find it strange because I've been so involved in the position for the whole game, and I'm still considering the game during the whole toilet break. I don't understand how it could be possible to NOT instantly know what's moved, unless ...[text shortened]... ut messy scoresheets:
    http://www.chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandlerarticle.php?ChandID=118
    Thanks for the tip - I shall re-think my pointing policy and perhaps wait to be asked. Might also concentrate harder so that I to know where every piece is even after a break.
  4. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 00:51
    Never played in an official tournament, but it would be my habit to quietly (and as a force of habit) announce check when I make the move. I wouldn't take any offense at someone doing the same for me, no matter how obvious the check.

As for announcing last move, usually it's a casual game where it doesn't come up. I have noted though the etuiquette on offering a draw, and I'm usually not inclined to offer one unless I strongly feel the position is a draw. Such a position might include a king and bishops endgames where bishop of of opposite color and very few pawns are left.

I'll probably never enter a tournament seeing as I'm not aware of where to find a chess club for play.
  5. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 06:14
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    If I have won i say: "thank you for the game", and never good game. It is especially bad to say good game if your opponent has left a piece hanging, and this is the reason for the loss! This is what I have learned in my OTB games.
    You're splitting hairs here. "Good game" could very well just as mean "good sportsmanship".

Going back to the OP: I've never seen another activity like chess where people get so uppity about "etiquette". Just play the darned game by the rules, focus on checkmating your opponent and not letting him checkmate you. Let your opponent about their own ticks and pet peeves.
  6. London
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 12:32
    Originally posted by bosintang
    You're splitting hairs here. "Good game" could very well just as mean "good sportsmanship".

Going back to the OP: I've never seen another activity like chess where people get so uppity about "etiquette". Just play the darned game by the rules, focus on checkmating your opponent and not letting him checkmate you. Let your opponent about their own ticks and pet peeves.
    Very Rusty made some refined points which I found useful and surely chess etiquette can be seen as one of the pleasures of the game albeit an optional one. Whilst not suggesting that people get cranky over it ...why not learn and observe chess etiquette along with the game itself. Saying "Good Game" or "Well Played" to someone who messed could be misinterpreted as either sarcastic or patronising so "Thank you for the game" seems more appropriate. And now I see how my attempts to be "nice" eagerly pointing out the last move to an opponent who's been to the toilet are unnecessary. Knowing and observing these finer points adds to my sense of equilibrium at the board which is my escape from the pressures of life. Why not?
  7. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 13:471 edit
    Originally posted by Mahout
    Knowing and observing these finer points adds to my sense of equilibrium at the board which is my escape from the pressures of life. Why not?
    I guess it's because I want to concentrate on playing chess. I used to play ice hockey religiously, and I cannot remember once having a conversation about etiquette of what to say at the end of the game. It's the actions that matter, not the words, and if someone got upset at me because I said "good game" to them even though they lost, I would think they're a complete knob.

I also wouldn't say 'check' or tell my opponent the last move I made unless they asked, but if my opponent did that to me, I'd just ignore them or nod, unless it was an aggressive and deliberate attempt to annoy me.
  8. London
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 14:27
    I guess it's because I want to concentrate on playing chess. I used to play ice hockey religiously, and I cannot remember once having a conversation about etiquette of what to say at the end of the game. It's the actions that matter, not the words, and if someone got upset at me because I said "good game" to them even though they lost, I would think they' ...[text shortened]... st ignore them or nod, unless it was an aggressive and deliberate attempt to annoy me.
    Ahh come on...surely ice hockey has etiquette too..some informal unwritten code of conduct. Did you never discuss other players behavior or how they tried to bend the rules a little by some tricks of time wasting in a winning position or trying to convince the referee of a foul by the opponents? Were there no players with a bad attitude and unsporting behavior? Were there not others with a good sense of fair play and a positive attitude? Did you not discuss this and adopt your own code of conduct in accordance with what you learned? Granted you perhaps didn't describe it as "etiquette" but surely it amounts to the same thing. And I have to agree it just seems more petty and pointless if people get upset ...when it's over a game of chess.
  9. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 14:501 edit
    Originally posted by Mahout
    Ahh come on...surely ice hockey has etiquette too..some informal unwritten code of conduct.
    Ok, you make a good point. Still...the things that have come up in this thread seem so petty (minus the cellphone one, that one's important.)

Maybe it's because chess is such a non-aggressive sport that allows us the luxury to argue over petty little things like what greeting to say at the end of the match.
  10. London
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 15:20
    Ok, you make a good point. Still...the things that have come up in this thread seem so petty (minus the cellphone one, that one's important.)

Maybe it's because chess is such a non-aggressive sport that allows us the luxury to argue over petty little things like what greeting to say at the end of the match.
    Agreed it's petty to get upset by these things. But for me taking an interest in in and observing good etiquette is a refinement that can add to the enjoyment of the game as an appreciation of wine can add to the enjoyment of a meal. But in grand scheme of things is neither important nor essential and I don't imagine i'd ever get upset by someone saying "well played" after they thrashed me.

You say "chess is such a non-aggresive sport" wooah...you wanna say that to me out side...(only joking)...surely it's war...a battle strategy game...an outlet for aggression and the chance to metaphorically engage in a battle without actually causing any real harm or lasting damage.
  11. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 20:10
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Just last week a kid was playing an adult at a local tournament. The adult kept breaking USCF rules and while the kid was trying to explain how he had to continue notating, and it is ok to adjust more than one piece at a time, and etc., the adult told the kid to shut up several times. Finally the kid got very upset and ended up leaving the tournament after briefly speaking to the TD.
    that's disgraceful, I play the occassional junior in our league and I am always sensitive to their social (not necessarily chess) lack of experience and try to make them feel at ease

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree