Otb chess etiquette

Otb chess etiquette

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SS

Moves
15 Feb 07

Digital Alchemist

Moves
15 Feb 07

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Personally, I have no problem either way. I've run into people that take offense when after you win, you go to shake their hand and say "good game" or "thanks for the game". In my experience, it depends on the player and you can't really control their behaviour. You just have to play your game, within the rules, and let your opponent deal with it.

s

Moves
15 Feb 07

Originally posted by saffa73
FIDE Handbook 9. Drawn Game

9.1 A player wishing to offer a draw shall do so after having made a move on the chessboard and before stopping his clock and starting the opponent`s clock. An offer at any other time during play is still valid, but Article 12.6 must be considered. No conditions can be attached to the offer. In both cases the offer cannot be w ...[text shortened]... piece with the intention of moving or capturing it, or the game is concluded in some other way.
Yes I am aware of that which is why I always offer in my own time, despite the fact it is in Fide's rules if you look in Surrey's yearbook (current ie 2006) on page 12 it actually states that you should offer in your own time and furthermore that repeat draw offers are forbidden and states that unless the position has changed significantly it is your opponent's turn to offer the draw. This was decided at a fixtures meeting that I attended and the reason that they decided to print it in the handbook despite that part of this is in Fide's rules is that so many players were claiming ignorance of the rules.

s

Moves
15 Feb 07
1 edit

Originally posted by stevetodd
Yes I am aware of that which is why I always offer in my own time, despite the fact it is in Fide's rules if you look in Surrey's yearbook (current ie 2006) on page 12 it actually states that you should offer in your own time and furthermore that repeat draw offers are forbidden and states that unless the position has changed significantly it is your oppon art of this is in Fide's rules is that so many players were claiming ignorance of the rules.
I shall have to get a copy of the Surrey handbook from one of my team captains!

s

Moves
16 Feb 07

Originally posted by saffa73
I shall have to get a copy of the Surrey handbook from one of my team captains!
Sorry I have just got in from playing an away match (we won 2.5 to 1.5 winning on the 2 top boards myself and another and drawing on the 3rd) and realised it's the other text on page 12 concerning notation that players were claiming ignorance of the rules, i.e. about not having to record for the last 5 mins etc within time control but then after time control you have to catch up with the notation and start again. The problem was mainly that the opponents with more than 5 mins were also stopping recording seeing that their opponents had stopped.

London

Moves
16 Feb 07

I look forward to the day when I get back from the toilet and know immediately which piece has been moved however complex the position...so I'm grateful to opponents who point it out. To me it is also a sign of a willingness to refute gamesmanship and enjoy the game.

During a wander round the room when there is a match on that I'm not playing in I like to look over the games of some of the senior players at the club...see what openings they play etc. What irritates me is that most of them either place their pen on the score sheet obscuring some of the moves or have such scribble for handwriting that it's illegible!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Feb 07

Originally posted by Northern Lad
No you don't, and few strong players would bother informing their opponents of their last move. It's not really a matter of manners (though hiding your scoresheet is a bit petty). If you're away from the board at the time your opponent moves, that's your problem!
However, I would say it would be a very insensitive and unreasonable player who actually ...[text shortened]... r announce check out loud, since both are fairly common practice at the level of club chess.
I say check (though quietly).

If I make a move when my opponent is away, I point to the piece I have moved.

I consider both simple courtesies that I was taught to do many years ago. If other players don't want to do either, I don't get worked up over it - I realize they are not required by the rules (though I don't think there are rules against either).

I believe it's a USCF rule that your scoresheet must be available for inspection by the other player during the game.

p

Moves
16 Feb 07

Originally posted by ouroboros
It might be taken the wrong way depending on the player. Similar to offering draws more than 3 times during a game can be taken the wrong way. If your opponent is of sufficient rating, they should know that they are in check or know what has changed on the board without you telling them. To do otherwise is to insult their intelligence.
In a cup match my team needed a draw. I think that it is bad form to ask for a draw in an inferior position, but to my shame I did ask twice.
My opponent was visible annoyed at the second request.

A few moves later I noticed a forced double sacrifice that ended in a stalemate. My opponent took the pieces, but when I wrote down a draw he went crazy, saying he never agreed a draw. When he finally realised it was stalemate it was funny.

Moves
16 Feb 07

s

Moves
16 Feb 07
2 edits

Originally posted by petrosianpupil
In a cup match my team needed a draw. I think that it is bad form to ask for a draw in an inferior position, but to my shame I did ask twice.
My opponent was visible annoyed at the second request.

A few moves later I noticed a forced double sacrifice that ended in a stalemate. My opponent took the pieces, but when I wrote down a draw he went crazy, saying he never agreed a draw. When he finally realised it was stalemate it was funny.
lol yes I can see the irony he must have felt very foolish

Edit am I going mad there was a comment from a player called Irax that I was going to repsond to but it seems to have gone?

s

Moves
16 Feb 07

Originally posted by no1marauder
I say check (though quietly).

If I make a move when my opponent is away, I point to the piece I have moved.

I consider both simple courtesies that I was taught to do many years ago. If other players don't want to do either, I don't get worked up over it - I realize they are not required by the rules (though I don't think there are r ...[text shortened]... e that your scoresheet must be available for inspection by the other player during the game.
Glad you of all players said that mate, I was thinking maybe I was just being a goon, but I reckon it comes down to individual personalaties and some people although gooid chess players are just pricks at the end of the day.

Moves
16 Feb 07

When I get back to a board after a toilet break, if someone points out a move to me I just want to shout, "No st Sherlock!!". I find it strange because I've been so involved in the position for the whole game, and I'm still considering the game during the whole toilet break. I don't understand how it could be possible to NOT instantly know what's moved, unless you're not paying much attention to the game.

What actually happens though when someone points out the move is that I nod, and quietly say "Thanks".

As an aside, for Mahout, here's an interesting article about messy scoresheets:
http://www.chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandlerarticle.php?ChandID=118

s

Moves
16 Feb 07
1 edit

L

Moves
16 Feb 07

Never say "check" in a tournament game, it's not required, and hopefully the opponent will take 5 minutes to move without realizing it, then you HAVE to point out that he's in check and let him waste more time.
It's an old trick I learned in Viet Nam to fool Charlie.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
16 Feb 07

Originally posted by LennyBruce
Never say "check" in a tournament game, it's not required, and hopefully the opponent will take 5 minutes to move without realizing it, then you HAVE to point out that he's in check and let him waste more time.
It's an old trick I learned in Viet Nam to fool Charlie.
I said "check" loudly last night. Everyone looked. I said, "I just like saying that." In a less friendly club, or when players are starting to get into time pressure, I would have been censured for such behavior.