OTB Games: Stress

OTB Games: Stress

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Lancaster

Moves
25 Sep 06

How do you overcome the stress at OTB games ?
I played my first game of the new season, at the local club last week, only to suffer a depressing defeat. I hadn't played any OTB chess for 4 months, and made my moves far too quick, after being a slightly nervous player at the opening.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
25 Sep 06

Originally posted by Tinmart69
I played my first game of the new season, at the local club last week, only to suffer a depressing defeat. I hadn't played any OTB chess for 4 months, and made my moves far too quick, after being a slightly nervous player at the opening.
I walk around a lot, but it doesn't help much.

The tension can bring pleasure as much as pain; it's a matter of perspective. I've learned to play for those moments when my heart is trying to beat out of my chest.

If I find I'm playing too fast, I'll write my move on my scoresheet along with the time on my clock two minutes hence. I will not execute the move until the time has transpired. (Note: if you are playing under FIDE rules, you cannot do this. You are not allowed to write your move first.)

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
25 Sep 06

Have a few pints before you start and a few more as the game progresses.

Stress evaporates!

cg

Seattle

Moves
25 Sep 06

Originally posted by Dragon Fire

Stress evaporates!
and so does you ability to calculate!!
Just walk around during his move if you find yourself extremly stressed out. Make sure you are getting plenty of WATER to drink and that you have plenty of time to go to the bathroom to get rid of it. Just remembers its only a games (unless your playing for money, then feel free to stress out all you want)

J

back in business

Moves
25 Sep 06
1 edit

By looking and feeling confident and knowing that my opponent is also a human and will most probably crack under the pressure sooner than I. I really enjoy playing important games under the pressure and also I tend to play better when the stakes are high.

F

Moves
25 Sep 06

This is my problem too. I feel like my interior is bathing in adrenaline. I fear my opponent can hear my heartbeats. Valium is of no good, nor is alcohol.

One way I cure my condition is to walk around, look at the board from the opponents view. Look at other games, take a piss-break. Everything but not watching the clock. Feel calm and you will feel calmer.

The risk is not to lose on time. The risk is greater to lose of too hasty moves, not even to reach middlegame, not to say endgame. Use the time of yours, not only to sit at the board and glare into the squares, but also to go away and do other stuff.

My skill at OTB? Low. Consider these advices not very good. Just thinkable.

T

London

Moves
25 Sep 06

Wow. Most of the time I just feel bored out of my mind during OTB chess having to wait for my opponent to move. Too much blitz, I guess...

m

Moves
25 Sep 06
1 edit

Have a few pints before you start and a few more as the game progresses. Stress evaporates!

Originally posted by c guy1
and so does you ability to calculate!!
Strangely enough, I used to feel that I played slightly better after a single drink (no more than that). I might have been fooling myself, but I was probably too conservative as a player, and I felt one drink helped that without damaging my calculation much.

It's a long time since I played OTB properly, so it's difficult to test it out now.

Walking around helped as well.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
25 Sep 06

Stress evaporates!
OK serious response now!

Never ever drink. Even a small amount of alcohol will impar your judgment and you will mess up.

Monitor your time and use it wisely. Not too much in the early stages when you know the moves well. Keep more for later, always more than your opponent if a quickplay finish but do use it - its not blitz and rushing your moves will result in blunders.

If you have a break take it. Go outside get fresh air (have a smoke break if you have to), have a p***. Watch other games and forget about yours for a time. Clear your mind.

Go back to each move with a fresh mind and look at the board quickly as if this is the first time you've seen it.

Its only a game. If you lose, so what?

J

back in business

Moves
25 Sep 06

Originally posted by TommyC
Wow. Most of the time I just feel bored out of my mind during OTB chess having to wait for my opponent to move.
same. especially against weaker opponents.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
25 Sep 06
1 edit

Take you time for each move. If you are feeling the heat, get up and go for a walk then come back and look at the board with fresh eyes. Drink water during the game.

Other than that, you have to deal with it. That's one of the best things about playing in a chess tournament. Big crowds watching your game, wondering what the next move will be.

Will you win or blunder it all away?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
25 Sep 06

When my face is turning purple, my nostrils are trembling, my heart is beating at a rate my doctor wouldn't approve of and when my ears are ejecting steam, I'm at my very best ......

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
25 Sep 06

Originally posted by Jusuh
That's that blitz for you!!

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
25 Sep 06

Originally posted by Jusuh
When you are playing weaker opponents use your time finding that stunning sacrificial win, preferably involving a Queen. That will keep you on your toes.

Otherwise beware lest complacency and arrogance gets the better of you and you lose.

s

Moves
25 Sep 06
2 edits

I always find that wandering around, walking back up to my board from the opponent's perspective - seeing the view from his/her side helps... somehow it always looks better than you think!