1. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 12:42
    This guy(Susan Polgars husband...she could do better...i seen his pic)

Won a tournament while getting two "byes" as black.

He was given two full points for the byes....

How is this right?

http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?200711110231-12123950
  2. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 12:44
    ....😞 i spelled tourny wrong....
  3. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 13:21
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    ....😞 i spelled tourny wrong....
    years ago (around 1991) I played in the British University Team Championships.

One guy won £50 - a hefty sum for a student back then - for the best performance on board six scored 4.5/6.

It later transpired he got three byes and of the chess he actually played he lost 2 games and won just once.

They changed the rules for board prizes after that.
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 13:38
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    This guy(Susan Polgars husband...she could do better...i seen his pic)

Won a tournament while getting two "byes" as black.

He was given two full points for the byes....

How is this right?

http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?200711110231-12123950
    I'm sure Paul Truong is very busy these days defending himself (and Susan) from a Sam Sloan lawsuit, and trying to hang on to his USCF executive board seat. (A USCF EB subcommittee recently called on Mr. Truong to resign from the Executive Board for neglecting his fiduciary duties to USCF.) So far, Paul has proclaimed his innocence and has not resigned his seat, and it now appears that there might be a recall effort to remove Paul from the executive board.

Now we have a recent tournament that Paul participated in with very suspect decisions pertaining to pairings and multiple full-point byes.

What's that old expression? When it rains, it pours.
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 13:42
    Thread 86106

Covered here.
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 13:52
    Heaven help Paul Truong or the chief TD (Chase Miles Watters) if Sam Sloan catches wind of this tournament. 😉
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 14:42
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Heaven help Paul Truong or the chief TD (Chase Miles Watters) if Sam Sloan catches wind of this tournament. 😉
    Believe me, he knows.
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '08 14:48
    [b]I'm sure Paul Truong is very busy these days defending himself (and Susan) from a Sam Sloan lawsuit, and trying to hang on to his USCF executive board seat. (A USCF EB subcommittee recently called on Mr. Truong to resign from the Executive Board for neglecting his fiduciary duties to USCF.) So far, Paul has proclaimed his innocence and has not resigned his ...[text shortened]... and it now appears that there might be a recall effort to remove Paul from the executive board./b]
    I tried to post a couple of messages about the Fake Sam Sloan fiasco on the Polgar / Truong message board www.chessdiscussion.com. They didn't get past the moderator and I had my account neutered for the cheek!
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 10:33
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    years ago (around 1991) I played in the British University Team Championships.

One guy won £50 - a hefty sum for a student back then - for the best performance on board six scored 4.5/6.

It later transpired he got three byes and of the chess he actually played he lost 2 games and won just once.

They changed the rules for board prizes after that.
    It would not be possible to score 4.5/6 if he lost 2 games.
  10. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 17:511 edit
    the USCF has been a poorly run organization for decades because the same cast of characters ran the board.. the last election resulted in the electiion of "outsiders" like truong and polgar.

truong and polgar have done more to promote chess in the US than the USCF organziation

as for sloan, he is of questionable character.
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 19:05
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    the USCF has been a poorly run organization for decades because the same cast of characters ran the board.. the last election resulted in the electiion of "outsiders" like truong and polgar.

truong and polgar have done more to promote chess in the US than the USCF organziation

as for sloan, he is of questionable character.
    I agree with most of your comments. My previous comment was made mostly in jest, but there was a tiny grain of seriousness imbedded in it. I'm very familiar with Sam's past, but he HAS been known to hit the bullseye. Sam's research was instrumental in an ethics complaint being filed against Robert Tanner for some alleged shenanigans in some tournaments in which he was involved. Mr. Tanner eventually resigned his board seat due to this complaint.

I have no idea what's going on with this Spice Open tournament. Maybe there's a perfectly good explanation that I simply don't know about. All I can say is that it doesn't look good to me at first blush, and Paul is not known for his crystal clear answers to questions that he'd prefer not to address. (Actually, I think any questions regarding this tournament would probably need to be addressed to the TDs of the tournament instead of Paul.) However, If I were in Paul Truong's shoes, knowing the history of the Tanner complaint, and knowing that Sam probably is not going to let anything alone that's even remotely questionable, I'd be bending over backwards to not do anything or be involved in anything in the chess world that would even remotely give someone cause to raise issues.

Yes, Susan and Paul have done much for US chess. And, yes, I think the prior USCF governance leaves a LOT to be desired. I want to believe in Susan, and I sincerely hope that Susan can help improve the USCF's governance problems. However, I don't know much about Paul Truong's past. (Not for lack of trying, mind you!) Paul may be innocent of the Fake Sam Sloan posting allegations in Sloan's latest lawsuit, but I'm not yet convinced of Paul's innocence. If he is innocent of the charges, he sure has a strange way of reacting to the issue. I'll wait for the lawsuit to progress before I attempt to form any personal opinions regarding Paul.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 20:10
    I'm sure Paul Truong is very busy these days defending himself (and Susan) from a Sam Sloan lawsuit, and trying to hang on to his USCF executive board seat. (A USCF EB subcommittee recently called on Mr. Truong to resign from the Executive Board for neglecting his fiduciary duties to USCF.) So far, Paul has proclaimed his innocence and has not resigned his ...[text shortened]... pairings and multiple full-point byes.

What's that old expression? When it rains, it pours.
    That scoundrel Truong is finally getting what he deserves. This is wonderful news.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 10:38
    Paul may be innocent of the Fake Sam Sloan posting allegations in Sloan's latest lawsuit, but I'm not yet convinced of Paul's innocence. If he is innocent of the charges, he sure has a strange way of reacting to the issue. I'll wait for the lawsuit to progress before I attempt to form any personal opinions regarding Paul.
    It is my belief that it has been established beyond doubt that either Paul Truong, Susan Polgar or both were responsible for the Fake Sam Sloan and other newsgroup messages. The only question to be cleared up for me is whether or not Susan was involved.

Until a few weeks ago I hoped that Susan would be able to emerge relatively intact from this scandal as I thought she could still do great things for the cause of chess in America, but recent messages from her on www.chessdiscussion.com have strongly suggested that she is as guilty as Truong and her only wish now is to take the USCF down with her.
  14. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 11:09
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    It is my belief that it has been established beyond doubt that either Paul Truong, Susan Polgar or both were responsible for the Fake Sam Sloan and other newsgroup messages. The only question to be cleared up for me is whether or not Susan was involved.

Until a few weeks ago I hoped that Susan would be able to emerge relatively intact from this scandal a ...[text shortened]... ggested that she is as guilty as Truong and her only wish now is to take the USCF down with her.
    maybe you suspect too much people...seeing only the dark side all the time...I even remember when I showed a game in the forum you were one of the first saying about engine use suspicion...
    maybe you should see the contrast between my profile note and your profile note 😉
    don't worry, be happy 🙂
  15. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 11:23
    Originally posted by vipiu
    maybe you suspect too much people...seeing only the dark side all the time...I even remember when I showed a game in the forum you were one of the first saying about engine use suspicion...
    maybe you should see the contrast between my profile note and your profile note 😉
    don't worry, be happy 🙂
    "Don't worry, be happy" is possibly the most moronic slogan I have ever heard in my life.

Dishonest behaviour of all sorts should be brought to everyone's attention so that it can ridiculed and stamped out before it becomes the norm.

I remember your game well and I'm still quite certain you used an engine.

That game was one of the reasons I stopped playing on this site, along with the fact that I discovered one of the top ten players was known to be an engine user but those in charge had decided to do nothing about it. Now I'm happy to play blitz anonymously on playchess.com and over the board chess for the serious stuff.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree