Paulbuchmanfromfics Chess Book Reviews

Paulbuchmanfromfics Chess Book Reviews

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
05 Nov 08
1 edit

I thought of another idea too. Would be authors can send me FREE copies of their books for reviewing. πŸ™‚

I can obviously go into much better detail with one or two books at a time than I can with 400+. πŸ™‚

p

Moves
06 Nov 08

296. How To Play The Belgrade Gambit By Schiller

Rather than a complete guide to the entire Belgrade Gambit (see previous), Schiller makes a repertoire book in this one.

One of the most complicated (and most fun) lines (Nxe4 Qe2) is not covered in this book.

He not only quotes Monson (see previous) but also tries to give improvements.

1998 113 Pages

I "tested" some of these lines in blitz and was not completely satisfied. They tend to be a lot of memorization and a little play.
I prefer the Monson book by far.

Acceptable

297. Winning With The Bishop's Opening By Gary Lane

A pretty good analysis/game book on the Bishop's Opening.
Chapters include the Paulsen Defense, Closed Piano, Closed Two Knights Defense, Urosoff Gambit, and Boden-Kieseritsky Gambit.

I have heard a lot of aggressive players rave about the Urosoff Gambit. Here is why I don't think that it gives any advantage to white.
1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.d4 exd4 4.Nf3 Nc6 ! The gambit has lost its significance and transposed right into the Two Knight's Defense. Black is very capable of holding his own there.

This is a pretty good book on this opening. At the time, this may have been the only book devoted solely to the Bishop's Opening.
I know there is a newer book out now called The Bishop's Opening Explained, perhaps by the same author. You might want to read a review of that as well.

298. Ponziani Opening By Harding

(1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c3 !? )

Chess Digest 1974 103 Pages Descriptive

This is a very good book on the Ponziani. Harding is a really great author most of the time.
All the main lines are looked at in depth. There is even analysis of 3. ... f5 in this book.
Many many variations are covered, including lines where white gives up the d4 idea and plays a philidor reversed.
Not many books have been written on this opening.

One springs to mind. I remember reading a review/ad for Ponziani Power by Taylor?? I think it was self-published and a little expensive (around $20). It was supposed to be a correspondence master's games/analyis of the Ponziani.

Since that book has fallen into obscurity, and may not have been great to start with, this is the only real book for Ponziani players to get a hold of.

Recommended to the Ponziani player (if they exist πŸ™‚ )

299. Philidor's Defense A Re-Appraisal By Harding

I got it for $1 from good old Chess Digest.
It's priced at more and worth more.
1984 87 Pages
I noticed Kosten repeats a lot of the analysis in his book.
(Maybe not on purpose).
This is a good book but Kosten is newer and in algebraic.

300. Winning With The Philidor By Tony Kosten

Before I review this, I would like mention one other Philidor book.
Years ago, Bent Larsen wrote a little pamplet titled Why Not The Philidor?. I don't own it, but I believe he suggested a variation with an early exd4 followed by g6. It played like the Dragon, but with an epawn exchange. The Philidor had been dead for some time and that kind of revived it for a while. Over time, antidote was found to the system (a set up similar to the Yugoslav vs The Dragon).

I just thought I would mention that book because it is historically significant to the development of the Philidor Defense, even if the variation/analyisis isn't all that great. Back To Kosten

Kosten revived the Philidor, just as Larsen did.
This book has very good Grandmaster analyisis of the entire Philidor by a GM who actually plays it !!!
Mestel's Variation (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 f5 !?) may be the most fun to look at but it is certainly in hot water, theoretically, to say the least.
The improved Hanham (as advocated by Nimzowitsch) is easy to set up and rock solid.

A Great Book On The Philidor

301. The Dynamic Philidor Countergambit Revised 2nd Edition By West

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 f5 !? is analyzed here by a master who uses it as his main defense !!!
Much of the analysis is his personal brew.
Many variations are covered and the gambit is fun to play.
The soundness is seriously in question however.
The author does little to imrpove on the ECO "refutations".
Mr. West has also participated in a blogging war with a player set out to refute the darn thing. (Check yahoo)
It may be playable but certainly stands on shakey ground.
Silman also points out a few overlooked variations in the review at his site.
Fun Book ... Fun Gambit ...Good Book ... BEWARE

302. The Latvian Gambit Made Easy By Grivainis And Elburg

1991 38 Pages

A very good introduction to the Latvian Gambit (for black).
Specific lines are chosen to form a repertoire with black.
Not many lines but a good place to start.
Very Good

303. New Developments In The Latvian Gambit By Grivainis And Elburg

Not really a sequel to the previous book.
Just a collection of newer games sorted by variation.
The games are good but this book really isn't that great.

304. The Latvian Gambit Lives By Kosten

Kosten's revised book on the Latvian.
This is the Latvian player's battle manual.
Every variation is covered.
The analysis is top notch, with nice text as well.
You can learn a lot of tactics just from playing through the lines in this book as well.
When done right, (3.Bc4 πŸ™‚ ) the Latvian can be the most fun opening in the world to analyse.

A MUST HAVE FOR ANY LATVIAN GAMBITEER

305. The Latvian Gambit By Grivainis

1985 A huge game collection of Latvian Gambit games played in correspondence and over the board.
Really just a database, printed out.

For the Latvian fanatic only.

306. The Latvian Gambit By Lein And Pickard

A different GM looks at the Latvian. I just got this book (quite cheaply) a week or so ago. The analysis seems good. Since Lives By Kosten was written later, I have to prefer it 2 to 1 over this one.

307. The Elephant Gambit By Jensen, Purser, and Pape

1988 83 Pages

A PERSONAL FAVORITE (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d5)

I don't care that the opening is refuted. I still love this book.
Every variation is analysed in this little book.
Much of Keres' and others' analysis is quoted.

A Great Book On A Fun Opening

308. Winning With The Elephant Gambit By Rogers

This must have been printed by the Trends publishers.
It is the same size as those pamplets.
The inside, however, is quite different.
Here we get some excellent analysis of a rare gambit.
In the introduction, Rogers notes that he threw out the unsound lines and kept only the best continuations for black (Bd6 on move 3 ala Halasz ... a correspondence master who plays the gambit ... also famous for 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.f4 which is similar).
This is a very good little pamplet with much of the authors own analysis. They don't make em like this any more.
34 pages with games included.

Recommended

Next post ... The Sicilian Defense

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
I'm starting at the upper left hand corner of the book shelf.
These are in no pariticual order, but I used to have them all sorted correctly.

1. U.S. Chess Federation's Official Rules Of Chess

Not really necessary. It's just all the official rules of chess. It's geared more at tournament directors, which I considered doing at one time. to The Complete Chessplayer and Lasker's Manual Of Chess.

Keep Going?
Do you have the two volume set Dynamic and Static Chess by Max Euwe? Never mind, I see you have it. You say it is out in Algebraic?
I studied it when I was working in Thailand, had hours and hours totally free and went through both books cover to cover twice! I thought it was a classic. The only thing about it is the damned descriptive notation. I think I could read it ten times faster with algebraic. Its a good thing I had so many free hours when I was in Thailand.

p

Moves
06 Nov 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
Do you have the two volume set Dynamic and Static Chess by Max Euwe? Never mind, I see you have it. You say it is out in Algebraic?
I studied it when I was working in Thailand, had hours and hours totally free and went through both books cover to cover twice! I thought it was a classic. The only thing about it is the damned descriptive notation. I think I ...[text shortened]... n times faster with algebraic. Its a good thing I had so many free hours when I was in Thailand.
Yes
They are more commonly known as the Middle Game Books 1 and 2 (By Euwe). They are CLASSICS.
I see them at amazon around $19.95 each but a chess dealer may have them even cheaper (in algebraic).
Great Books πŸ™‚

p

Moves
06 Nov 08

We now come to the Sicilian Defense section of my library.

This is by far the most common defense to 1.e4 and possibly the best way to play for a win (there isn't a single line that I can think of that leads to a symmetrical position for white and black, like say the French Exchange).

I have played the Open Sicilian about 10-1 more often from the black side. I seldom play it as white. It is very easy to analyze some lines out for black, sometimes quite deeply, and not start thinking until move 7, 10, or even later. With black, you pick the "flavor" of the variation and prepare for the most common systems. Playing the white pieces is much harder. You have to prepare a line for every single variation that black may choose. You may meet something, like say the Sveshnikov, one in every 30 or so games with white. The player on the black side, I can guarantee you, gets his side of the position much more often. In my opinion, you are walking right into it in this sense. With correspondence chess, this need not be as big a problem, with opening manuals. Even with all the theory though, some lines are really hard, if not impossible, to prove a white advantage against. Larsen once said that he believed the Open Sicilian to be a mistake for white !!! He didn't see the reasoning in trading a perfectly good center pawn for a wing pawn. Another thing I have noticed, and I'm not the first, is that it is a lot harder to beat a really booked up amateur who is well versed in the Sicilian, in the opening at least. An unbooked system, or lesser known system, may not be objectively best but it does make them start thinking early on and in turn give the possibility of quick wins. Those are some of the reasons that I, personally, don't feel comfortable on the white side. That being said, the Open Sicilian really is the BEST way for white to play for the attack/advantage. OK Now to the reviews. ...

309. How To Play The Sicilian Defense By Levy And O'Connell

Chapter 1 is a general guide to Sicilian structures.
The next two chapters discuss the Maroczy Bind with g6 and e6.
Also covered are the "little" center (d6,e6 pawns), dragon positions, e5 positions, closed positions, e6 positions, Bg5 positions, and in closing a good little "Golden Rules" guide.

This is a good little guide to the Sicilian. It is more about familiarization of structures that arise from the opening than actual variations. Each chapter is around 20 pages long. There are a lot of practical examples and some whole games.

Copyright 1987 133 Pages

Pretty Good

310. The Sicilian ! An Overview By Jon Edwards And Ron Henley

Copyright 1993 79 Pages

This slim little book is actually quite packed.
The two authors take a look at many different variations of the Sicilian Defense (Wing Gambit all the way to specific lines of The Najdorf). They then discuss the plans for both sides and illustrate how the plans are carried out.

Let me give an example

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 a6 5.c4 Nf6 6.Nc3 Bb4 (Maroczy Bind) They briefly talk about the Kan. Next is white's plan. There is a brief discussion of 7.Nc2, 7.Qf3, and 7.Bd2, followed by a complete illustrative game. Next, they get to 7.Bd3 (best) and included another game. Then, it is time for black's plan, followed by things to try (from both sides), and another illustrative game. All this is done over 3-4 columns. There isn't a lot to each variation but a lot of variations are covered.

Very Good

311. and 312. The Sicilian Labyrinth Volumes 1 and 2 By Polugayevsky

Lev takes a good look at a lot of different Sicilian structures. Book one has quick kills (from misplayed openings), prepared innovations, theoretical arguments, a very good chapter on middlegame attacks, and defensive schemes. Book two covers pawn structures, central squares, open lines, sacrifices, the power of pieces, and much more.

These are very good guides to the structures of the Sicilian Defense. You won't find specific analysis of variations but you can't help but come out with a better understanding of the Sicilian Defense as a whole.

Recommended (Maybe not for the beginner ... a bit advanced)

313. Theoretical Articles On The Latest In The Sicilian Defence Up To 1972 By Gipslis

97 pages of analysis covering many variations of the Sicilian.

A lot of analyis but obviously VERY AGED

314. The Complete Najdorf 6.Bg5 By Nunn

Copyright 1996 320 Pages

This is full of analysis of about every possible 6.Bg5 variation.
This is more of a reference manual than a learning tool.
One problem is that, being the most common GM defense to 1.e4, the theory is constantly changing.

Great Book ... but I do not know if the "theory" still holds

315. The Complete Najdorf: The Modern Lines By Nunn

1998 336 Pages

This one covers every variation except Bg5 (see previous) of the Najdorf.
This has much very good analysis.
See Previous Review
Again Very Good

316. Sicilian Defense 10 Main Line Najdorf By Adams

104 Pages 1977
Old descriptive book with a lot of analysis on the Bg5 Najdorf.
Seems good but theory changes so that I can't recommend it.

317. The Complete Dragon By Gufeld And Stetsko

1997 352 Pages

A very good guide to the Dragon. Every variation of the 2. ...d6 Dragon is covered. The last 50+ pages are illustrative games throughout history. Again, beware the theory may have changed or newer lines aren't included.

Overall Very Good/Great

318. Easy Guide To The Dragon By Golubev

1999 144 Pages

Pages and pages full of analysis on the 2. ... d6 Dragon. There are lot of practical suggestions (!?).
Really just a reference manual but well done.
You may do better to get a more recent one.

319. Secrets Of The Sicilian Dragon By Gufeld And Schiller

1998 197 Pages

This is an interesting book.
The chapters are history of the Dragon, essential concepts, attacking plans for black and white, tactical themes for both sides,great escapes, endgames, and my personal favorite the Dragon hall of fame (games/bios of all the great players who have used the Dragon in the past). This is not really a theory book. It is more of a general guide to the Dragon. This is a good idea but can it really be done on an opening so deeply "booked" ?

Great Idea ... Pretty Good Book ... You decide

320. Winning With The Dragon By Ward

1994 (First) Edition 208 Pages

A very nice book with analysis in game form.
Many variations are covered.
The author advocates a system with Qa5 and Rfc8 in the Yugoslav.
A pleasant thing about this book is that the GM author actually plays the variation.

I don't know if the analysis holds today but ... Well Done

321. The Soltis Variation Of The Yugoslav Attack By Mayer

333 Pages devoted to a single variation.

Here is my beef with this book. I saw a single copy on a table for sale at a chess tournament. I purchased the copy and went home.
Months later, when I intended to use the book to look up a variation, I noticed a problem with the printing. Some pages are printed twice (in places where other pages should go). This really turned me off the book. I do not know if all copies are like this or if the seller pulled a fast one on me.

I can't give a fair review of the book and am generally curious if other copies are like mine. Sorry

Next Post Accelared Dragon and other Open Sicilians

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
06 Nov 08

Holy $^&T, I just noticed this thread; congrats!!!

Keep up, PaulπŸ™‚

p

Moves
06 Nov 08

Originally posted by black beetle
Holy $^&T, I just noticed this thread; congrats!!!

Keep up, PaulπŸ™‚
Thanks, I am glad you are enjoying it.
My next thread will contain your pet line, the Scheveningen.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
06 Nov 08

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
Thanks, I am glad you are enjoying it.
My next thread will contain your pet line, the Scheveningen.
Here waitπŸ˜€

p

Moves
06 Nov 08

322. Winning With The Sicilian Defense
A Complete Repertoire Against 1.e4
Revised 2nd Edition By Silman

1998 353 Pages

This is an outstaning opening manual.
Honestly, there is not much actual discussion of structures/etc.
There is, however, an outstanding amount of analysis.
Some commentary/chat is included it is not textless.
This book advocates the Sicilian Accelerated Dragon for Black.
A line (and sometimes two or three) is given from black's perspective versus everything white can throw at you.
The first few chapters show how you can make white suffer when he strives to set up a Yugoslav Attack formation.
While the Yugoslav is very strong against the normal Dragon, it does not work against the Accelerated version !!!
The Maroczy Bind (white's biggest threat to the the AD) is also covered from black's perspective quite nicely.
If you have read Silman's other works, you will probably have noticed a game or two where he plays this line for black.
This is a defense that he himself uses/trusts and that is part of what makes the book so great.
After Maroczy, the Rossolimo,Closed/Grand Prix,Alapin (c3), Smith-Morra, 2.f4,and other rare 2nd move alternatives are all covered from black's perspective.

One of my favorite opening manuals ... a good solid defense to 1.e4

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

323. Accelerated Dragons By Donaldson And Silman

1998 320 Pages

This book was written at about the same time as the previous one.
There is a big difference, however (besides the publishers).
This book contains every variation of the Accelerated Dragon, not just a black repertoire.
There are pages and pages of good analysis (more of a reference work, although there is some text).
This book also covers other forms of the Accelerated Dragon, including 2. ... g6 and a delayed g6 (after Nc6 and Nf6).
I can't say how this book keeps up with modern theory but it is an excellent, well written opening manual.

324. Yugoslav Attack 1969 Dragon Variation Sicilian Defense
By Keene
Original sale price 50 cents. πŸ™‚

It seems I overlooked this little pamplet when I was reviewing the Dragon proper.
This is just 16 pages of Yugoslav theory from around the time it was first becoming very popular.

325. Sicilian Defense 4 Gurgenidze System Accelerated Fianchetto
By Pickett 1976 63 Pages
Another book on sale for $1 from Chess Digest
This is a very small book with analysis of a variation of the Maroczy Bind. It seems ok but beware of how old it is.

326. The Hyper Accelerated Fianchetto By Keene

A very old pamplet on 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 g6.
16 Pages from around 1970.
This line is covered better in the Donaldson/Silman book.
OK for its time but aged

327. Sicilian: Scheveningen Variation For Black By Soltis

40 Page pamplet from 1983
See Next Review

328. Sicilian Scheveningen For Black By Soltis

2nd Edition (Revised) 1995 160 Pages

This is a repertoire book for the black player wishing to take up this defense. Soltis's opening manuals range from awful to great.
This one is acceptable, I guess.

The line versus Be2, advocates an e5 push for black (after f4), followed by exf4 and lodging a piece on e5. Black ends up with a backward d pawn, and white's e pawn also becomes isolated.
I am not really a theoretician when it comes to the Scheveningen, so I do not know if this is the best way for black to play after Be2 or not.
I did notice Tal on the black pieces in one line.
There is one special note. In the line Soltis gives, 14. Nd4 Bg5 is in bold. 14. ... Bg5 is a blunder . Anyone who owns a copy should beware of this (14. ... Nxd4 is better).
Only the first 44 pages are analysis (which may turn out to be a good thing considering the error, I just pointed out).
Pages 45-78 are annotated illustrative games.
Pages 79-160 are unannotated games, sorted by variation ( a database printout).

Acceptable ... It does after all give a repertoire rather than starting from scratch. ... Perhaps a good place to start.

329. Sicilian: Kann/Paulsen-Taimanov Variation By Chess Digest

Aged pamplet with compiled theory of these two variations

330. The Sicilian Taimanov By Plaskett

This is a game collection with variations in the games.
(Not my favorite type of manual)
In the first chapter, there is a very brief explanation of the function of all of black's pieces.
Games are included on every variation.
I have used this book/ the Taimanov but I always feel like I should have more analysis.

331. Winning With The Kan By Mortazavi

1996 144 Pages

This is a great opening manual.
Chapter 1 is a discussion of the Maroczy Bind and Hedgehog.
This isn't specific variations, it is an actual look at structures.
Great illustrative games are included to show the typical plans/maneuvers.
Chapter 2 is a likewise discussion of Scheveningen systems.
Then, the main lines , with games and analysis, are looked at.
There is more analysis of the Maroczy and Scheveningen-type systems for black.
The last chapter has more variations white can throw at you.
This is an excellent repertoire book.
I truly love the first chapter, with the hedgehog discussion.

Great Book ... RECOMMENDED

332. The Sveshnikov Sicilian By Krasenkov

1996 160 Pages

This is a very good opening book that covers every variation of the Sveshnikov. There is some really great analysis in this one (By a GM). There are also 40 annotated (!) illustrative games in the back, showing the variation in practice.
Both books I own by this author (Open Spanish) are really well written.

Excellent Book

333. Winning With The Kalashnikov By Mc Donald

When the regular Svesnikov became to theoretical for Sveshnikov himself (!!!), he began to play e5 one move earlier.

This is one of the early books on the Neo-Sveshnikov or Kalashnikov.

1995 143 Pages

Chapter 1, Strategic Themes In The Opening, is excellent.
You learn what to look for / look out for and what you are trying to achieve before diving right in to variations.
Next, there are 25 games (great games) with the analysis inside them. The last two (brief) chapters are tactical puzzles/exercises for black.

A Very Well Written Opening Manual

334. Sicilian Defense 5 Four Knights Variation By Pickett

A tiny little book with 26 Pages from 1976

The analysis is dated but good. This is a really rare variation, so old analysis is better than no analysis. I only paid $1 for my copy.

I like it.

335. The Aggressive Nimzowitsch Sicilian By Schiller

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 !? is given a look.
Mostly, if not all, game after game thrown together by variation.
Schiller, who wrote this book, was kind enough to bust the same variation in The Big Book Of Busts.
Nice Guy πŸ™‚ ... Not Recommended

Now Come The Non-Open Sicilians

336. The Offbeat Sicilian By Grefe

Unorthodox Ways To Win With White!

This is a short, sweet book. 1990 51 Pages

Several pages are devoted to many non-open Sicilians that white can play.

Chapter 1, for instance, covers 2.b3.
In all, 14 different anti-Sicilians are covered.
Everything is in here from the Smith-Morra to the Big Clamp.

I really like this book.

337. Beating The Anti-Sicilians By Gallagher

This is the definitive black guide to the non-open Sicilians.
This is just like a repertoire book for black, where the best lines are pointed out and analyzed.

There is much chat/conversation and analysis within the games.
Everything is here from 2.f4 to move order tricks (like Ne2 and then d4).

The book was written way back in 1994 but still may be a MUST HAVE for the Sicilian Defense player.

338. Sicilian Defense 6 Closed Variation By Pickett And Swift

Ok but aged pamplet/book on the Closed Sicilian

339. Winning With The Closed Sicilian By Lane

1992 155 Pages

I think this has been revised by the same author.
This is a good games collection with analysis within that covers just about every variation of the Closed Sicilian.
It seems to be geared at white players.
There is a index of variations in the back as well.

Pretty Good

340. The Complete c3 Sicilian By Murray Chandler

1996 239 Pages

The analysis is generally within games but there is tons of it.
There is an index of variations in the back.
Every variation is covered.
This is an outstanding opening reference manual for both sides.
Since it has whole games as well, it might actually be considered more than a reference manual, I guess.

Very Good

That's it for now ... More Anti-Sicilians Next Post ... There is a long way to go (1.e4 c6/e6/d5/Nf6/d6/g6, 1.d4 d5/Nf6, 1.c4/1.f4/1.g4, etc)

p

Moves
06 Nov 08

Throw some comments or something in here, so that I will think that I am not just talking to myself. πŸ™‚

K

Moves
06 Nov 08

The reviews are much appreciated. But if I buy every book you say is recommended I'll be broke πŸ˜€ Maybe you could start your own Netflix style business so we can rent your books.

C

Moves
06 Nov 08

I'm still waiting for the one book I own to come upπŸ™‚

Otherwise, I'm agog, obviously😲

Eddie's Dad

Raving Mad

Moves
06 Nov 08

Originally posted by Cyberdazzle
Otherwise, I'm agog, obviously😲
I prefer to be agape, myself. Sometimes ajar. πŸ˜‰

p

Moves
06 Nov 08

341. Easy Guide To The Bb5 Siclian By Pedersen

1999 128 Pages

Good Coverage of 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6/2. ... d6 3.Bb5 (+)
This book is mostly analysis. There is an index in the back.

A good guide to this variation for both sides.

342. Larsen-Santasiere Variation 2. P-KB4 Vs. The Sicilian Defense By Santasiere

Very small pamplet / 28 Pages / 1971 / Originally Priced at $1.60

This is one of, if not, the first book devoted to 2.f4 vs the Sicilian.
Larsen did write a nice piece on it in How To Open A Chess Game, but that was a year later, I believe.
Larsen was obviously playing it at this point, however.
This is a brief (very brief) little survey, with a few lines and 8 games.

343. Larsen's 2.P-KB4 VS The Sicilian By Chess Digest

1982 47 Pages

I bought my copy on ebay. The auction said that all items were the property of Bruce Pandolfini !!! They were supposed to come with an autograph in addition. When I received mine, it had no autograph.
I wrote back the seller to mention this and received this letter in the mail.

06/08/01

Dear x x (me),
I hope you have as much success with Larsen's move as I did. In more than twenty games, I never lost. But this was long ago and far, far away.

Good Luck,

Bruce Pandolfini

Obviously, I can't prove or disprove whether it is genuine or not. I like to believe that it is. πŸ™‚

The book/pamplet has a lot of nice analysis. I really like it.
I believe there is a revised edition (By Smith And Hall) titled the Grand Prix Attack. That one is in algebraic.

344. Sicilian Defense 7 Lines With P-KB4 By Pickett And Swift

1976 63 Pages ... more analysis of this variation
I prefer the previous book reviewed.

345. Sicilian Grand Prix Attack By Plaskett

I would like to have a copy of Grand Prix Attack by Lane but it is really hard to get a hold of, being out of print. Back to the review

Both the 2.Nc3/3.f4 and 2.f4 variations are examined in this one.
The analysis is in 91 games.
Necessary to bring the previous books on the variation up to date.

346. and 347. Two copies of Sicilian Smith-Morra Gambit Accepted
By Ken Smith

1972 Edition 63 Pages
This copy has a little note on the top.

To Bob Whose help (as noted on page 2) spurred me on to finish this book. -- Ken

Apparently, Bob didn't think it was worth holding on to. πŸ™‚

I haven't really used this edition much.

1982 65 Pages

Possibly the same book as the other edition.
Ken Smith was famous for his use/analysis of the Smith-Morra Gambit.
I have heard it said that he even paid Grandmasters for their own analysis of variations. Matulovic (GM) is given credit for analysis of certain lines in this book. Ken truly was a devoted gambiteer and this was his favorite. Now for another story.

San Antonio 1972 was one of the biggest U.S. chess tournaments in history. Not since New York 1924, had so many famous names been assembled in the U.S. Ken Smith, a Texan and National Master, was included in the tournament roster. Round after round, he bashed out his Smith-Morra Gambit and round after round, he took one brutal beating after another. I think it was a combination of his skill level vs a GM and the opening itself. In one of the last rounds, Ken opened 1.d4 and Browne answered 1. ... c5. Ken was so beaten up at that point that he didn't even play 2. e4 transposing to the Smith-Morra.
In the tournament book, Larsen annotating a game where Smith was white, commenting on 1.e4 e6 as ?. Larsen said 1. ... c5 is better, which wins a pawn. A funny joke, indeed. Sorry Ken

I love this book. ... It is dated. ... You decide

348. The Morra-Smith Gambit By Flesch

1981 150 Pages

Dated but good.
Many variations are analyzed.
This is a good well researched book.
There is very little devoted to it, but I like the idea of Nge2 instead of Nf3. This leaves the option of f4 open for white.

349. Winning With The Smith-Morra Gambit By Burgess

1994 192 Pages

This uses the analysis within games format. There is tons and tons of analysis though. There is also an index in the back.

The introduction with typical themes and reoccuring tactics is very nice.

I have my win over IM Valvo (3 minute game / my first IM scalp) hand written in the back. πŸ™‚

This is probably the best book that I have seen on the gambit.

* There is newer book called the Morra Gambit by a different author.
I have not seen it. You might want to look into that too.

350. How To Defeat The Smith-Morra Gambit: 6. ... a6 By Taylor

This is a very good guide for black on the Smith-Morra.
The system recommended is very strong.

The author looks at different variations and shows why they don't work before showing the preferred line.
Other games, like Fischer-Korchnoi are looked at with great detail.
There are very good discussions of the positions without (and with) white's c pawn of the board.

1993 112 Pages

Very Well Written

351. Smith-Morra Gambit Finegold Defense By Ciaffone and Finegold

My copy is autographed by Ciaffone (to Jack Peters).
Players never seem to hold on to their personally autographed copies.
This is a very good book with great analysis of another black system to refute the Smith-Morra.
I did, however, have trouble sorting out/finding the variations.
The book needed an index or something. It is generally confusing.

Good

352. Smith-Morra Accepted A Game Collection By Smith And Wall

1992 Just 400 games printed out by variation (unannotated)

353. Sicilian Theory Of The Smith-Morra Gambit In Games 1846 Thru 1967 By Ken Smith

72 Pages of games from this period

354. Sicilian Theory Of The Smith-Morra Gambit In Games 1968 Thru
1973 By Ken Smith

62 Pages of games ... lightly annotated

355. Trends In The Smith-Morra Vol 2 By Lalic

100 Games with perhaps a light comment before each

356. Sicilian Defense Wing Gambits By Kapitaniak

There are 2 other Wing books that I can't get a hold of (by Hurt and Romeo).

This is a pretty good book. 1985 71 Pages

Many variations and illustrative games are included.
One of the few books on this variation.

WORTH OWNING for the risk taker

357. The Winger! Sicilian Wing Gambit by Stauffer

1994 31 Pages

A brief (very short) survey of the wing gambit.

This looks at a few lines (to form a repertoire) and includes some games (including Bronstein vs Deep Thought II).

OK

Next Post ... The French Defense

e4

Moves
06 Nov 08

I too have picked a few books at 2nd. Hand Shops with
dedications and sometimes notes in the margin.

I have Hoopers book A Complete Defence to 1.PK4
the previous owner had changed all the main line moves from
desciptive 1.P-K4 P-k4 etc to algebraic 1.e4 e5 by hand in black pen.

On page 11 he changed 13. 0-0 to 13. 0-0 πŸ˜•