Paulbuchmanfromfics Chess Book Reviews

Paulbuchmanfromfics Chess Book Reviews

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.Nf3

The Hague

Moves
06 Nov 08

Excellent reviews. I think I didn't see one favourite book of mine (I don't have so many, so that doesn't mean so much): play the Najdorf: Scheveningen style by John Emms. Anyone know this?

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
06 Nov 08

These are excellent and very useful. I gather you like e-pawn openings. Do you have books for players who like d-pawn openings?

p

Moves
06 Nov 08

Originally posted by davaniel
Excellent reviews. I think I didn't see one favourite book of mine (I don't have so many, so that doesn't mean so much): play the Najdorf: Scheveningen style by John Emms. Anyone know this?
From about 2003 to the present, I stopped buying chess books. I still buy a few but not like I used to. There could very well be some good books that I am missing. 🙂

p

Moves
06 Nov 08

Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
These are excellent and very useful. I gather you like e-pawn openings. Do you have books for players who like d-pawn openings?
I have my books sorted with e pawn openings first. Don't worry, the d pawn openings are coming !

MR

Moves
06 Nov 08

Originally posted by Cyberdazzle
I'm still waiting for the one book I own to come up🙂
You could start your own book review thread for people that have a short attention span. 😀

t

Moves
06 Nov 08

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
I have my books sorted with e pawn openings first. Don't worry, the d pawn openings are coming !
Shouldn't the d pawners come first? I mean, that would make 'em alphabetical.

p

Moves
06 Nov 08

I have a question Paul: On 165. One Hundred Selected Games By Botvinnik, you ended with:

"Really Good Book ( Not for all tastes) "

Since this is one that may be on my Christmas list, could you quickly describe what you mean by "not for all tastes?" Do you mean chess style taste, such as a tactical player may not like it as opposed to a positional player; or is the book written in a specific style, meaning there are a lot of variations as opposed to words? Is it more of an advanced book or good for all ratings?

p

Moves
06 Nov 08

Originally posted by passedpawn22
I have a question Paul: On 165. One Hundred Selected Games By Botvinnik, you ended with:

"Really Good Book ( Not for all tastes) "

Since this is one that may be on my Christmas list, could you quickly describe what you mean by "not for all tastes?" Do you mean chess style taste, such as a tactical player may not like it as opposed to a positiona ...[text shortened]... of variations as opposed to words? Is it more of an advanced book or good for all ratings?
It is definitely not geared at the beginner. A friend of mine used to make fun of Botvinnik. He said Botvinnik would just give out this long line and say something like "with iron logic", referring to his own play.
The book is generally very positional. I don't think Botvinnik plays 1.e4 that much with white. The games tend to be very closed and have a lot of maneuvering. The first 6 or so moves go unannotated. I haven't read mine in a while, so I am just skipping through it. The analysis seems to be more of suggest/alternative moves than actual text of what is going on. Don't get me wrong there is text but I think Botvinnik expects you to be a certain level to follow the games.
That being said this is a great game collection. Botvinnik is one of the greatest players of all time. His games really are hard to get a hold of. Any book on a players game by that player is always worth having. My friend didn't really care for it. I like it and think it is very good. Check a few other reviews on Amazon.com as well.
I hope this helps !!!

p

Moves
06 Nov 08

Originally posted by tomtom232
Shouldn't the d pawners come first? I mean, that would make 'em alphabetical.
I sort my opening books by the order they are in in MCO (Modern Chess Openings). Greenpawn got a kick out of that. 🙂
He should see my DVD collection. 800+ movies in alphabetical order. 🙂 With my system, you only take seconds to find what you are looking for.

p

Moves
06 Nov 08

358. Mastering The French (With The Read And Play Method)
By Mc Donald and Harley

Copyright 1997 191 Pages

This is another of my PERSONAL FAVORITE OPENING BOOKS.

This is an excellent book to teach you the French (1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5).
The chapters are not sorted by variation, they are sorted by pawn structures !!!

Chapters include the advanced center, e6 weakness vs d4 weakness (after fxe5 by black), f4 cental clamp, classical center, Winawer center, poisoned pawn center, rubinstein center (early dxe4 by black), exchange center, isolated queen pawn center, and miscellaneous structures.

That kind of somes up the book. You get thorough discussion of what is going on in the structures ... not the variations.

There are diagrams pointing out piece maneuvers.
There are also whole games, with opening analysis inside them, which illustrate the themes in the chapters.
Many variations (if not all) are covered, and there is an opening index in the back.

A MUST FOR THE FRENCH PLAYER

359. Play The French (New Edition ... 2nd Edition) By Watson

Copyright 1996 223 Pages

This is an outstanding repertoire book for black.
Watson covers every conceivable move that white can throw at you after 1.e4 e6 (even 2.Qe2, 2.e5, and 2. Bb5).
Watson even gives alternatives if black does not prefer a line he suggests. (For instance, 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 covers both 3. ... c5 and 3. ... Nf6)

The main "heart" of the repertoire is the French Winawer. In this edition, he suggests the poisoned pawn for black (with much original/great analysis). There is also a black alternative on move 6 if you don't like the main line.

This is not a quickly thrown together opening manual. Years and years of analysis and research are included in this one.
This is also not a quick fix opening. You can play the French Winawer for your entire career and never run into a refutation. This is a GM quality defense.

ONE OF MY FAVORITE OPENING MANUALS

There is a newer edition available. It is different but also good. I will review it next.

360. Play The French 3rd Edition By Watson

Copyright 2003 272 Pages

Mr. Watson strikes again (see previous review) !!!

This is another excellent repertoire on the French.
Everything is covered for black again.

This copy is fairly new to me , so I will just mainly point out differences from the previous edition.

The Tarrasch (3.Nd2) is still met by 3. ... c5. The chapter on 3. ... Nf6 is not in this book, however. It has been replaced by 3. ... Be7. I played through a few lines of this variation. The variations seem pretty thorough. This may also be a less booked line, making it easier on black.

The Winawer section has been changed !!! 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5 c5 5.a3 Bxc3+ 6.bxc3 Ne7 (also 6. ... Qc7 is in both editions) 7. Qg4 is no longer met by 7. ... Qc7 (the poisoned pawn) as in the previous addition. He says theory looks down on it now but he doesn't believe this is warranted. He comes to the conclusion it would be too hard to cover all the (new?) theory in this edition.
For that reason, 7. ... 0-0 is advocated. This seems pretty solid although I haven't given it a really deep look.

Another bonus of this edition is that 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Nf6 is also looked at. Included is a system vs 4.e5 and 4.Bg5 dxe4 for black.

Another well researched/well written book by Watson.

Very Good

361. Winning With The French By Uhlmann

Long out of print and outrageously priced.
Retail price on back is $19.95. I lucked into mine on ebay for $10.
I have seen this sell for $60 and higher.
This uses an analsyis within games format. There is an index of variations in the back. I usually don't like this format.
This is a rare exception. This is 60 games (partially annotated) by a top level GM who actually uses the variation.
All games were played by the author !!!
Only the Winawer is covered. This is Uhlmann's only defense to 1.e4 and it has served him well many years.
The games are really a joy to play through. There is even a draw and win !!! over Fischer in this book.
A good book on the French and a good collection of Uhlmann's games.

Very Good Book ... The woud be French player should start with the Mc Donald/Harley book and Watson book(s) first.

362. The Main Line French: 3.Nc3 By Pedersen

Part of a 3 book set that covered every variation of the French.

2001 256 Pages

This covers every variation of 3.Nc3 in the French.
This is not a repertoire book. It is more of an analysis/reference guide.
There is some nice text in the analysis.
Very Well Done ( Be Warned Mostly Analysis) ... Jam Packed

363. French Defense 2 New And Forgotten Ideas By Minev

This is not the ordinary opening book.
520 games are compiled in 329 pages in ECO order.
This is basically a game collection (database dump) with a few notes/ variations within the games. Older, less used lines are looked at (like 1.e4 e6 2.b3). You may actually find a few surprises to spring on unsuspecting players.

Interesting format/idea ... Good (Not Great) Book

364. The Classical French By Gufeld and Stetsko

These two authors write a LOT of opening books.
In fact, around the time this came out, they wrote another one called French Defense Classical System !!!

This takes a brief (144 Page) look at the classical variation (4.Bg5 Be7).

98 pages are devoted to analysis and the remainder covers illustrative games with the variation. The games, by the likes of Chernin, Korchnoi, and the authors, are actually quite good.

Good / Not Great

365. Remember The MacCutcheon By Eade

A correspondence master looks at his favorite defense to 1.e4 (1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 Bb4 !? ). * National Master also

This really is a fun/exciting variation to learn. There is a good bit of analysis (much of the author's own) and illustrative games at the back of each chapter. In the final chapter, the author even looks at some of his losses with the variation !!!
Since the author actually plays the opening, the book is better than most.

1991 and only 86 pages ... Very Good Book (short and sweet)

366. The Marshall Gambit In The French And Sicilian Defenses
By Kennedy And Sheffield

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 c5 !? and 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 d5 !? get a look here. 1988 68 Pages
Text and analysis ... a lot of unannotated games in the back ...
I have had problems finding variations in the past.
The variation may not be sound for black.
I'd say more geared at collectors / historians.

367. The French Defense Tarrasch Variation By Winters

Dated 82 page pamplet ... really just columns of analysis

368. Tarrasch French Guimard Variation 3. ... Nc6 By Schiller

Typical Schiller

369. Beating The French By Lane

A nice guide to the French Advance.
Every line is covered (even 3.e5 c5 4.Qg4 !?). This is mostly aimed at the white player but not necessarily only white.
44 games are included with the analysis within them.
There is an index in the back.

Pretty Good

370. Alapin French Tactics For White By Sawyer

1995 87 Pages

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Be3 !? ... a rare BDG type gambit.

I have played this variations many times with white and collected some nice scalps (in blitz). I once beat a 2200 rated player in under 15 moves (and only used 20 seconds) with this variation !!!

The variation does lead to lively play. That being said, I still have mixed feelings about it. I like the attacks sure but I always feel as though black can refute this with absolute best play. (This is the same feeling I have about the Latvian Gambit with 3.Nxe5.)
Below master level, this can be a dangerous weapon, however.

If you need a new weapon against the French or don't mind taking risks this may be the variation for you.

Now, to the book.
This uses the analysis within games format. Many variations are covered (including when black declines).
This is a very slim book but a pretty good guide to a rare variation.

Pretty Good

I'll finish the French and do the Caro-Kann next post.

Supper time !!!

rc

Moves
06 Nov 08

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
358. Mastering The French (With The Read And Play Method)
By Mc Donald and Harley

Copyright 1997 191 Pages

This is another of my PERSONAL FAVORITE OPENING BOOKS.

This is an excellent book to teach you the French (1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5).
The chapters are not sorted by variation, they are sorted by pawn structures !!!

Chapters incl ...[text shortened]... ty Good

I'll finish the French and do the Caro-Kann next post.

Supper time !!!
I am sure i played a game against you and suffered quite badly when you played a rather unusual line of the Winawer, if it was i demand that you get rid of that book right away by sending it to me 😀

p

Moves
07 Nov 08

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I am sure i played a game against you and suffered quite badly when you played a rather unusual line of the Winawer, if it was i demand that you get rid of that book right away by sending it to me 😀
Yes, I remember the game. I played an early b6. That was around the time that I was reading the Petrosian book. He was my inspiration for that one. 🙂

p

Moves
07 Nov 08

371. Four Gambits To Beat The French By Harding

This is sadly one of the last books Chess Digest published.

1998 263 Pages

This books takes a look at some interesting ways for white to combat the pesky French.

The opening has some interesting gambit games (with the author playing and meeting the gambits).

The next chapter is lesser gambits (that didn't make the cut).
Among these is a look at the Diemer Duhm (1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.c4).

Next come chapters on the four gambits
1. 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Be3 (The Devious Alapin-Diemer) see previous review
2. 1.e4 e6 2.Nf3 d5 3.e5 c5 4.b4 (The Tricky French Wing Gambit)
3. 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nf3 Qb6 6.Bd3
(The Murderous Milner Barry)
4. 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.a3 Bxc3+ 5.bxc3 dxe4 6.f3
(Winckelmann-Reimer : The IM Killer)

There are many pages of analysis and games.
The back has "study material" (extra unannotated games).
I can't testify the soundness of these openings but it is a good guide.

Good

372. The Papa Gambit VS The French Defense By Papa

The main idea is 1.e4 e6 2.b3 d5 3.Bb2 dxe4 4.Nc3.
This really is an interesting gambit. If I'm not mistaken, Reti even had a game or two from the white side (long before Papa).

There is a newer book available on this variation. I believe it is called The Fascinating Reti Gambit. You might want to take a look at that as well.

This particular book is quite interesting.

1991 39 (8 1/2 by 11 ) pages

The author (A National Master) gives a guide to a variation that he himself plays with white.
There is analysis and games played by the author and others.
Accepted and declined variations are looked at.
There are also chapters on a "hedgehog pawns on c7,d6, and e6 setup, 2.b3 vs the Sicilian, 2.b3 vs the Caro-Kann, a brief look at 1.b3, and parting thoughts.
The last chapter looks at a few other French games.

This an interesting self published book.
There isn't pages and pages of analysis but what is there is quite enjoyable.

373. Starting Out : The Caro-Kann By Joe Gallagher

This is my first (and only) Starting Out book.
Judging by this one, it seems to be a very good series.
This book gives an overview of all the variations of this opening.
There aren't pages and pages of analysis.
In fact, only a few lines of each variation are given.
The lines and games chosen do illustrate the practical play and themes of the opening.
There are also many nice pointers included with the analysis.
Strategy and plans are also discussed.
I got a real kick out of 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.f3 ( A variation I play) 3. ... e5 !? which makes the board explode on move 3.

This is a very good guide to this opening.

Recommended for beginners and up (who want to take up the Caro-Kann or prepare for it with white). I really enjoyed it.

374. Complete Defense To King Pawn Openings By Schiller

Schiller strikes again !!!
This is actually a pretty good one though.
There is an overview, discussion of where the pieces go, and strategy.
Then, the analysis is included within games.
This is a repertoire book for black. Most, if not all, of white's systems vs 1.e4 c6 are looked at.
Black's main defense is 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Nxe4 Bf5 with e6 and castles kingside in mind. (Black usually goes queenside.)
One major disappointed is his coverage of the advance variation.
1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 Na6
This obviously isn't the best move and is intended to dodge theory.
I really distrust this move no matter how well it scores.
In the back is the best part. It is a chapter titled heroes of the Caro-Kann. It is a brief bio and game of the great players through history that have used this defense.
A self test section is also included.

This is a guide one book guide for 1.e4 c6 for black.
He almost dropped the ball with the advance variation but still ...
Good

375. Caro-Kann Classical 4. ... Bf5 By Kasparov (!) And Shakarov

Tournament Level 1984 148 Pages

A very good, but dated, look at the main line Caro-Kann.
There is a lot of analysis (and some text).

Very Well Researched/Written

376. The Classical Caro-Kann Rejuvenated By Schiller

52 Pages ... Not That Great

377. Caro-Kann Smyslov System 4. ... Nd7 By Gufeld And Stetsko

1998 128 Pages

A very slim book that looks at all the variations of this system.
The analysis is within games.
Good ... Really nothing special

378. The Dynamic Caro-Kann By Silman
The Bronstein-Larsen And The Original Caro Systems

My copy was supposed to be autographed but was not.

1989 182 Pages

1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Nxe4 Nf6 5.Nxf6+ (and 5.Ng3) gxf6 and 5. ... exf6 are covered in this book.

There are pages and pages of analysis.
Very Good ... for the 4. ... Nf6 fan mostly

379. Caro-Kann Defence Knight Variation
4. ... Nf6 (B15-B16) By Curtacci

1992 96 Pages

This is informant style (textless) analyis within games.
More games (unannotated) are included at the back of each chapter.
A good, brief survey

380. Easy Guide To The Panov-Botvinnik Attack By Aagard

This book takes a look at this variation mainly from white's perspective.
There a few lines he says black can play (g6, my favorite, not being one of them ! ).

1998 128 Pages

An OK quick guide for white.

381. Panov Attack Volume III The Attack With 5. ... g6 By Schiller

Typical Schiller

382. Beating The Caro-Kann By Kotronias

A repertoire for white against the Caro-Kann.
1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 Bf5 4.Nc3 e6 5.g4 is the main line.
This is a dynamic line that gives good attacking chances.
Many players have been caught by this system.
My games, however, haven't turned out so well for white.
One of my opponents, a National Master, repelled the attack and exposed all the kingside weaknesses that I had created.
It was really a brutal beating that lingers in my memory.
I was able to draw that very master on the black side of a very dull Nimzo-Indian.

Perhaps, you will have better results.

1994 112 Pages

383. The Caro-Kann Advance By Jacobs

Games with analysis within.
This looks at every variation of the advance.
Good

384. Caro-Kann Fantasy Variation By Minev

1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.f3 !?

1996 71 Pages

Really just games printed out and arranged by variation (with perhaps a few very light notes).

This is an interesting variation for white. This book is not a repertoire book and looks at all lines.

Not much too it ... but an ok book on a rare variation is better than none at all.

Coming Up ... Alekhine's Defense

p

Moves
07 Nov 08

Maybe tomorrow ... That's enough for today.

p

Moves
07 Nov 08

Feeling Good ... I just played 4 1-minute games with a 2300+ rated player at FICS. ... I actually won 2 of them !!!